Re: [jacksongenealogy] Sharecroppers

  • Jewel Casey
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 8, 2013
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Jewel Casey
      To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Saturday, June 08, 2013 3:17 PM
      Subject: Re: [jacksongenealogy] Sharecroppers

      Thank you Susan. I have enjoyed doing genealogy since 1970 and have found so many people that have led much more enjoyable and exciting life's than I, but none more fulfilling. I appreciate every day of my upbringing in Paint Rock Valley, Jackson County, AL and the rough times we had because I know it made a much better person of me and my brothers. When I look back at those days I have to laugh because we didn't know we were poor, everyone else we knew had as little as we did and we didn't consider them to be poor.
      Thanks
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 8, 2013
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 8, 2013
          my new address is jcasey@...

          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 8, 2013
            how do I change my address to jcasey@...
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 11, 2013
              About 1950, we went by to check on our old home place (Cagle Place). I was just a kid and remember the sharecropper living in there and farming the land. After we left I ask my Dad why the kids did not have shoes. He said they had shoes but only wore them school. When they came home they took their shoes off so they would not ware them out.

              Bill Cagle

              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 11, 2013
                That is so true Bill because most of us sharecroppers didn't have enough money left over to buy two or three pair of shoes. We had to have shoes to wear to school and shoes to wear to church, so therefore we didn't shoes to wear around the house to play in or to work in so we had to go barefoot.

                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 12, 2013
                  I know this may be off subject a little but my dad worked for the railroad so for that time he made fair money. and we had shoes but we just mostly went barefoot when playing. You did not wear shoes in the house at all. If you smoked you went to the back porch to do it. We did not have air conditioning either.