correction

  • quietholler.dana
    Message 1 of 3 , May 27, 2013
      I made a mistake- my mom's DNA match was to a descendant of William Johnson and Mary Parks, not William Parks Johnson and Elizabeth Anderson.

      --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "quietholler.dana" <quietholler.dana@...> wrote:

      > Hello group- On my public Ancestry tree (Garretson-Nichols), I have added William Parks Johnson and Elizabeth Anderson as parents of John Martin Johnson (he is my 3rd great-grandfather). I've put (unproven) after their last names as a sort of disclaimer. I've written and attached a story to explain why I added them; here's the gist of it:
      >
      > I have added William Parks Johnson and Elizabeth Anderson as John Martin's parents because:
      >
      > ~There is general agreement that a complete list of their children does not exist, therefore he is not excluded as their child
      > ~John Martin's age and location perfectly coincides with the other children & their parents
      > ~A photo, identified as William George Johnson, son of William Parks and Elizabeth Johnson, is inscribed on the back, "From your cousin, Stephen Fanning." This photo had been given to Lydia California Johnson Messer. Stephen Fanning was the son of Rachel Johnson, daughter of William Parks and Elizabeth Johnson.
      > ~William George Johnson has been identified on the back of the photo as California Messer's uncle. She was the daughter of John Martin Johnson and Martha Jane Anderson, therefore William is most likely her father's brother.
      > ~A great-granddaughter of California Johnson has had a fourth cousin DNA match with a descendant of William Parks and Elizabeth Johnson.
      >
      > It was the DNA match that got me thinking about the Johnsons again. The person with whom my mother has the match is descended from this Johnson family in three ways: once through the marriage of a set of first cousins, and again through a different William/Mary Parks descendant. This match was obvious (if you're participating in the Ancestry DNA project, you know they often are not).
      >
      > Also, without the the help of Bobbie Jordan in identifying the photo of William George Johnson, I would not have been able to piece this together. Bobbie, a descendant of William George Johnson, had a second picture of him for corroboration of his identity (he is very distinctive). Bobbie knew his name and age.
      >
      > Without both the photo and the DNA evidence, I would not have added William Parks Johnson and Elizabeth Anderson as parents for John Martin Johnson. I realize that this explanation will still be a bit thin for some. Please feel free to respond, even if you think I'm all wet. :-D Dana

    • quietholler.dana
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 18, 2014
        Since I added William Parks Johnson and Elizabeth Anderson as parents for John Martin Johnson, my mother (great great-granddaughter of John Martin Johnson) has had nineteen autosomal DNA matches with Johnson/Parks descendants. These are the matches with hints and a diagram showing the match. I've been shocked by how many matches she's had. For me, this confirms that John Martin Johnson belongs with this family, and that descendants of of the Johnson/Parks families must like to have their DNA tested. :-)   Dana