CW Help

  • Jerry Triplett
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 24 8:35 AM
      Three weeks or so ago, I asked for some help on researching CW records for Joseph Thomas, Jr, one of my ancestors. Several of you responded. Thank you.

      While my research is not complete, here is what I have written so far:

      Joseph Thomas, Jr

      Company K, 6th Alabama Infantry

      Thomas was born on 6 June, 1840 on the family farm at the southern end of Montague Mountain in Doran's Cove, Jackson Co, Alabama. He was the tenth of the twelve children of Joseph Thomas. He could not write and at the end of the Civil War, he was described as being fair complected, having black hair and hazel eyes and standing five feet 7 ½ inches tall.

      On April 30, 1861 at the age of twenty, he enlisted as a Private at Bridgeport for a period of one year in the 6th Alabama Infantry under Captian William J Russell.

      On June 30, he appears on a muster roll and was paid by assistant quartermaster E H Harris.

      On November 29, 1862, Corporal Thomas received an issue of clothing.

      In March, 1863, he received an issue of clothing.

      Thomas appears on a Receipt Roll for Commutation of Rations for the period of July 18 to Oct 16, 1863. Approved by C A Battle, Brig General.

      Appears on a Muster Roll for Jan to June 30, 1864. He was last paid by H A Harolson for the period ending Dec 3, 1863. He had been reduced in rank from Corporal in March by J F Culver.

      On Dec 6, 1863, he received an issue of clothing.

      He appears on a Muster Roll for March and April, 1864.

      On April 30, 1864, he received an issue of clothing.

      On Oct 15, 1864, he received an issue of clothing.

      On Nov 6, 1864, he received an issue of clothing.

      On Dec 12, 1864, he received an issue of clothing.

      On March 28, 1865, Thomas was listed as a Prisoner of Way at Point Lookout, Maryland. Having been captured near Petersburg, VA on March 25, 1865.

      On June 21, 1865, Private Thomas took the Oath of Allegiance at Point Lookout, Maryland.

      Note - This my first attempt to develop a story from Civil War records. Hopefully, more to come about Joseph and his unit. Suggestions would be appreciated.

    • blackcloud27030
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 24 8:32 PM
        Jerry

        Have you requested his Civil War Pension application file from the Alabama Dept of Archives and History? If not you should. There usually is much more detail in the actual application file which is not on line.

        Here is some additional info (but not all) from the Cards at ADAH. The info on the Cards was extracted from his pension application.

        There are several cards at ADAH on Joseph Thomas Jr, Pvt/Corp. Co. K 6th AL Inf. (note: there is only one entry for a Jr. but the other entries for Joseph Thomas Co. K 6th AL Inf are for him)

        He was enlisted at Bridgeport 30 Apr 1861 by Capt. William T. Gunter.

        He was Mustered for War at Montgomery,, AL 16 Aug 1861 by Maj. McLean.

        Different from the Fold3 file, in that he surrendered at Richmond, VA and was Paroled at City Point VA. Discharged 21 Jun 1865. Taken from Census, Tax Collector, Jackson Co. AL 1907-1908. Fold3 says he was captured near Petersburg, VA then taken to City Point, VA and transferred to POW Camp Lookout, MD. The stuff at ADAH was taken from his pension application.

        He first started receiving a pension in 1902.

        In another entry: Wounded at Gettsburg, Witnesses Mason Thomas and R. C. Howard. AL Pension #12812 Jackson Co. AL. Pension Rcvd: Yes. (note; from the 1850 and 1860 census Mason Thomas is Joseph Thomas's younger brother.

        The last Pension entry for him was 1915 and since he is not on the 1920 census and I could not find a Widow's Pension for his wife she must have died btw 1910 and 1915 and he died btw 1915 and 1920.

        Clay

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 25 4:16 AM
          Clay:

          This is a learning experience for me - and thanks to you (and some others), boy, am I learning. I found his pension application last night and also that of his spouse. I did not have a date of death and that was in the wife's app. I did not have a burial location but now I'm sure I know where he is buried even though I don't think there is a marker. He and his wife died about a year apart and she has a marker so I'm confident he is beside her.

          Longer term, I'll probably file for a Veterans Marker for him. Any idea how difficult that is?

          Thanks for all your help.

          Jerry T

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 25 10:28 AM
            Jerry

            Go to www.va.gov/ then under Burials & Memorials click on Headstones, Markers & Medaillions.  Down at the bottom of the page where it says VA Form 40-1330 Application for Government Headstone or Marker click on that which will take you to a PDF Form that must be filled out and submitted.

            Clay