Re: [jacksongenealogy] Navy Enlistment Records

  • Larry Williams
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 12, 2013
      Normally the R means US Naval Reserve. To find Naval Records you might
      contact the the National Archives (
      http://www.archives.gov/research/military/ww2/index.html). Most of the
      records have been recorded there.I think there was a fire that destroyed
      some of the records. Many records have been placed on ancestry.com. If you
      do not subscribe to this email me the person you are looking for along with
      what information you have and I will see what I can do.
      'lgwilliams1947@...

      On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 8:05 PM, Jerry Triplett <jrytrplt@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > I need a little more help from you kind folks. For the first time, I
      > looking for information on Ancestry for WWII Navy enlistees. I've had
      > pretty good luck finding muster records where I know the ship. But I have
      > been unable to crack the code on how to find enlistment records. The
      > individuals involved are USNR; which I assume is Naval Reserve but I'm not
      > really sure. Actually, I suspect it stands for something else.
      >
      > Anyone familiar with finding records on Ancestry for WWII Naval personnell?
      >
      > Thanks.
      >
      > Jerry T in Chattanooga

      Larry G. Williams
      Co-Director, Agrimissions
      43 Crisp Lane
      Trenton, GA 30752
      (423) 240-2089 Cell/Business
      agrimissions.williams@...
      lgwilliams1947@...
      http://agrimissions.com
      http://themissionsociety.org

    • Jimmie Ryan
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 12, 2013
        Yes, USNR means United States Navy Reserve, the "Reserve" is added to your
        service Jacket if you receive a "Honorable Discharge" from regular USN
        service, like me I had 3 active years and 5 reserve years so my VA is USNR,
        but my Naval Service is USN.

        Could locate only two, cannot help without name, date of birth, city or
        approximate location of the military member - sometimes I just use the last
        name as most of the time the transcription has the first name with either
        there legal name, and many people in the south went by their nicknames or
        middle names (after the Civil War) - so I start my sort their and move
        backwards by using the field "located in" moving from county to county as
        many under-aged enlistees when into the next county where their "Family
        name" was not known, you might even try lower Tennessee, as many of our
        Brazier line in Jackson enlisted in Franklin, Tennessee from Civil War on to
        the modern family in Alabama.

        Hope This helps,

        Jimmie Ryan
        YN2 US Navy
        GGGGrandson of Elijah Brazier b 1775 NC d after 1850 Jackson, Alabama
        (approximate 1857)

        U.S. World War II Army Enlistment Records, 1938-1946 about Dolphus H
        Triplett

        Name: Dolphus H Triplett
        Birth Year: 1926
        Race: White, citizen (White)
        Nativity State or Country: Alabama
        State of Residence: Alabama

        Enlistment Date: 3 Jan 1945
        Enlistment State: Alabama
        Enlistment City: Fort McClellan
        Branch: No branch assignment
        Branch Code: No branch assignment
        Grade: Private
        Grade Code: Private
        Term of Enlistment: Enlistment for the duration of the
        War or other emergency, plus six months, subject to the discretion of the
        President or otherwise according to law
        Component: Selectees (Enlisted Men)
        Source: Civil Life

        Education: Grammar school
        Civil Occupation: General farmers
        Marital Status: Single, without dependents
        Height: 00
        Weight: 100

        U.S. World War II Army Enlistment Records, 1938-1946 about Kenneth O
        Triplett

        Name: Kenneth O Triplett
        Birth Year: 1926
        Race: White, citizen (White)
        Nativity State or Country: Florida
        State of Residence: Alabama
        County or City: Calhoun

        Enlistment Date: 21 Dec 1945
        Enlistment State: Alabama
        Enlistment City: Craig Field Selma
        Branch: No branch assignment
        Branch Code: No branch assignment
        Grade: Private First Class
        Grade Code: Private First Class
        Term of Enlistment: One year enlistment
        Component: Regular Army (including Officers,
        Nurses, Warrant Officers, and Enlisted Men)
        Source: Enlisted Man, Philippine Scout or
        recall to AD of an enlisted man who had been transferred to the ERC

        Education: 4 years of high school
        Civil Occupation: Tinsmiths, coppersmiths, and sheet
        metal workers
        Marital Status: Single, without dependents
        Height: 07
        Weight: 470