Navy Enlistment Records

  • Jerry Triplett
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 11, 2013
      I need a little more help from you kind folks. For the first time, I looking for information on Ancestry for WWII Navy enlistees. I've had pretty good luck finding muster records where I know the ship. But I have been unable to crack the code on how to find enlistment records. The individuals involved are USNR; which I assume is Naval Reserve but I'm not really sure. Actually, I suspect it stands for something else.

      Anyone familiar with finding records on Ancestry for WWII Naval personnell?

      Thanks.

      Jerry T in Chattanooga

    • blackcloud27030
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 11, 2013
        Jerry

        You hit the nail on the head it is US Naval Reserve. Who are you looking for and I will see what I can find.

        Clay

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 12, 2013
          Normally the R means US Naval Reserve. To find Naval Records you might
          contact the the National Archives (
          http://www.archives.gov/research/military/ww2/index.html). Most of the
          records have been recorded there.I think there was a fire that destroyed
          some of the records. Many records have been placed on ancestry.com. If you
          do not subscribe to this email me the person you are looking for along with
          what information you have and I will see what I can do.
          'lgwilliams1947@...

          On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 8:05 PM, Jerry Triplett <jrytrplt@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > I need a little more help from you kind folks. For the first time, I
          > looking for information on Ancestry for WWII Navy enlistees. I've had
          > pretty good luck finding muster records where I know the ship. But I have
          > been unable to crack the code on how to find enlistment records. The
          > individuals involved are USNR; which I assume is Naval Reserve but I'm not
          > really sure. Actually, I suspect it stands for something else.
          >
          > Anyone familiar with finding records on Ancestry for WWII Naval personnell?
          >
          > Thanks.
          >
          > Jerry T in Chattanooga

          Larry G. Williams
          Co-Director, Agrimissions
          43 Crisp Lane
          Trenton, GA 30752
          (423) 240-2089 Cell/Business
          agrimissions.williams@...
          lgwilliams1947@...
          http://agrimissions.com
          http://themissionsociety.org

        • Jimmie Ryan
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 12, 2013
            Yes, USNR means United States Navy Reserve, the "Reserve" is added to your
            service Jacket if you receive a "Honorable Discharge" from regular USN
            service, like me I had 3 active years and 5 reserve years so my VA is USNR,
            but my Naval Service is USN.

            Could locate only two, cannot help without name, date of birth, city or
            approximate location of the military member - sometimes I just use the last
            name as most of the time the transcription has the first name with either
            there legal name, and many people in the south went by their nicknames or
            middle names (after the Civil War) - so I start my sort their and move
            backwards by using the field "located in" moving from county to county as
            many under-aged enlistees when into the next county where their "Family
            name" was not known, you might even try lower Tennessee, as many of our
            Brazier line in Jackson enlisted in Franklin, Tennessee from Civil War on to
            the modern family in Alabama.

            Hope This helps,

            Jimmie Ryan
            YN2 US Navy
            GGGGrandson of Elijah Brazier b 1775 NC d after 1850 Jackson, Alabama
            (approximate 1857)

            U.S. World War II Army Enlistment Records, 1938-1946 about Dolphus H
            Triplett

            Name: Dolphus H Triplett
            Birth Year: 1926
            Race: White, citizen (White)
            Nativity State or Country: Alabama
            State of Residence: Alabama

            Enlistment Date: 3 Jan 1945
            Enlistment State: Alabama
            Enlistment City: Fort McClellan
            Branch: No branch assignment
            Branch Code: No branch assignment
            Grade: Private
            Grade Code: Private
            Term of Enlistment: Enlistment for the duration of the
            War or other emergency, plus six months, subject to the discretion of the
            President or otherwise according to law
            Component: Selectees (Enlisted Men)
            Source: Civil Life

            Education: Grammar school
            Civil Occupation: General farmers
            Marital Status: Single, without dependents
            Height: 00
            Weight: 100

            U.S. World War II Army Enlistment Records, 1938-1946 about Kenneth O
            Triplett

            Name: Kenneth O Triplett
            Birth Year: 1926
            Race: White, citizen (White)
            Nativity State or Country: Florida
            State of Residence: Alabama
            County or City: Calhoun

            Enlistment Date: 21 Dec 1945
            Enlistment State: Alabama
            Enlistment City: Craig Field Selma
            Branch: No branch assignment
            Branch Code: No branch assignment
            Grade: Private First Class
            Grade Code: Private First Class
            Term of Enlistment: One year enlistment
            Component: Regular Army (including Officers,
            Nurses, Warrant Officers, and Enlisted Men)
            Source: Enlisted Man, Philippine Scout or
            recall to AD of an enlisted man who had been transferred to the ERC

            Education: 4 years of high school
            Civil Occupation: Tinsmiths, coppersmiths, and sheet
            metal workers
            Marital Status: Single, without dependents
            Height: 07
            Weight: 470