dear group

  • billy
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 7, 2013
      i have a question for all of you. i hope someone knows the answer. my grandfather john f. hill born in jackson county in 1883. i know he went to school because he was well read and could write well also. in one of the census i guess 1890 it says my grandmother eva jane sanders born 1886 was in school although i dont believe she could read or write. they lived up and down what is now highway 65. i know hollytree, trenton and estill fork. they called paint rock home but i think they meant the valley not the town. im not sure. the question is does anyone have any idea where they would have gone to school from about 1888 until 1900 and are there any records from schools that far back? thanks for all your help billy hill
    • Nicholas Gattis
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 7, 2013
        My grandfather said that his father (born 1888) went to a school that was located off 65, past the 146 fork, on the west side of the road.  If there is anything still there is a different story.

        I took my grandfather and his cousin up there this past week.  Both of their stories match up.  Such a wealth of information!

        My grandfather's cousin was telling about a monthly dinner/lunch that someone has for old folks that grew up in Paint Rock Valley.  I'm not sure about specific details, maybe someone else could shed some light on that topic.

        Nick Gattis

        i have a question for all of you. i hope someone knows the answer. my grandfather john f. hill born in jackson county in 1883. i know he went to school because he was well read and could write well also. in one of the census i guess 1890 it says my grandmother eva jane sanders born 1886 was in school although i dont believe she could read or write. they lived up and down what is now highway 65. i know hollytree, trenton and estill fork. they called paint rock home but i think they meant the valley not the town. im not sure. the question is does anyone have any idea where they would have gone to school from about 1888 until 1900 and are there any records from schools that far back? thanks for all your help billy hill

      • blackcloud27030
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 7, 2013
          Billy

          On the 1900 Census, she is listed as Evva J. Sanders b. Jan 1877 listed as In School, Can Read Yes, Can Write No.
          No 1890 Census as it was burnt.

          Clay