Re: [jacksongenealogy] More Info on John Colbert

  • Raymond Shirley
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 2, 2002
      Some of you Colbert descendants might enjoy reading a small book
      entitled The Devil's Backbone, The Story of the Natchez Trace by
      Jonathan Daniels. It contains quite a bit about the Alabama Colberts.
      The book was published by McGraw-Hill in 1962 and reprinted in 1985 and
      1987 by Pelican Publishing Company, Inc., Gretna, Louisiana.
      The early Alabama/Mississippi Colberts lived among the Chickasaw
      Indians. In fact, several of the Colbert men were Chickasaw chiefs.
      Therefore, you likely will not find them listed in a US census. Other
      than Chickasaw records, the best probable source of information about
      the Colberts who operated the ferry across the TN river would be the
      records of Franklin County, AL.