Re: [jacksongenealogy] Civil War Service

  • blackcloud27030
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 26, 2013
      Jerry

      A good and concise article on the Civil War can be found on Wikipedia, just google Civil War. The main cause seems to have been not just slavery but the spread of slavery into the new western states outside the Old South which the slave owners very much wanted as the raising of cotton was wearing out their land. In my opinion the war started not with the firing on Fort Sumter in 1861but with in mid 1850s with Bleeding Kansas.

      I read through Joseph Thomas's cards at Fold3 and there is not much there you would probably find more info in his application for a pension at the Alabama Dept. of Archives and History than there is at Fold3. The full applications are not on line you would have to order them, the only thing at the ADAH on line is 3 cards on him.

      From Fold3 he was captured near Petersburg 25 Mar 1865 this was the last battle of Petersburg know as the "Battle of Old Men and Young Boys" many of the troops defending Petersburg ranged in age from early teens to men in their 60s or older. He arrived at City Point, VA 28 Mar 1865 and was transferred to Point Lookout POW Camp MD. He was released 01 June 1865. The only other thing of note was were he was busted from Cpl back to Pvt.

      Clay

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 27, 2013
        I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHERE WINNIGER CEMETERY IS AT SKYLINE ALSO HOW MANY CEMETERIES NAMED SANDERS AN WHERE ARE THEY LOCATED? THANKS SUE (SHARP)LONG

        --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, clyde broadway <clydeabroadway@...> wrote:

        > The Alabama Archives in Montgomery has some Civil War records. You might be able to find some post war recollections in their papers. I found info re: the 55th Ala. Inf. Reg't there.

      • Karen Venable
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 28, 2013
          I will look on Footnote and see what I can find on him.
          Karen Moore

          ________________________________

          --- In mailto:jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.com, clyde broadway <clydeabroadway@...> wrote:

          > The Alabama Archives in Montgomery has some Civil War records. You might be able to find some post war recollections in their papers. I found info re: the 55th Ala. Inf. Reg't there.

        • Larry Williams
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 29, 2013
            Sue are you related to the Sharps in Dutton?

            On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 10:22 PM, SUE <columbu3@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHERE WINNIGER CEMETERY IS AT SKYLINE ALSO HOW MANY
            > CEMETERIES NAMED SANDERS AN WHERE ARE THEY LOCATED? THANKS SUE (SHARP)LONG
            >
            > --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, clyde broadway <clydeabroadway@...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > The Alabama Archives in Montgomery has some Civil War records. You might
            > be able to find some post war recollections in their papers. I found info
            > re: the 55th Ala. Inf. Reg't there.

            Larry G. Williams
            Co-Director, Agrimissions
            43 Crisp Lane
            Trenton, GA 30752
            (423) 240-2089 Cell/Business
            agrimissions.williams@...
            lgwilliams1947@...
            http://agrimissions.com
            http://themissionsociety.org

          • gary_bsanders
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 29, 2013
              Sue, there are at least three Sanders cemeteries in Jackson County. All of them have memorials at Find-A-Grave and they have been transcribed by the late Jane Nichols and posted at RootsWeb.

              Below I have the links for Jane's transcriptions and her directions.
              Two of the cemeteries are near Skyline. The smaller of the two is easy to miss if you are not paying attention when you are driving by. The other one, Sanders Millcreek, is the largest Sanders cemetery, although many people with a different surname are buried there. The third cemetery is on land donated by Jesse Elbert Sanders and consists mainly of the graves of Jesse and his relatives.

              Sanders Skyline Cemetery:
              http://files.usgwarchives.org/al/jackson/cemeteries/sanders3.txt
              This cemetery is located at Skyline on Hwy 79 just past Hill's Building Supply on the right.

              Sanders Cemetery, Skyline (Sanders Millcreek):
              http://files.usgwarchives.org/al/jackson/cemeteries/sanders2.txt
              Take Hwy 79 up Skyline Mountain. Turn left on Rd 116, then left on a dirt road 545, around the dirt road on the right on a hill.

              Sanders Cemetery, Kyles:
              http://files.usgwarchives.org/al/jackson/cemeteries/sanders1.txt
              This cemetery is located in the Kyles community off Hwy 72 N, turn left coming from Scottsboro on RD 33, turn right on RD 32 at Harmony Church, turn right on dirt road in curve, cemetery is on the left in a fence.

              My sister and I visited all three cemeteries in 2007. Are you a Sanders descendant?
              --Gary

              --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "SUE" <columbu3@...> wrote:

              > I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHERE WINNIGER CEMETERY IS AT SKYLINE ALSO HOW MANY CEMETERIES NAMED SANDERS AN WHERE ARE THEY LOCATED? THANKS SUE (SHARP)LONG
              >
              > --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, clyde broadway <clydeabroadway@> wrote:
              > >
              > > The Alabama Archives in Montgomery has some Civil War records. You might be able to find some post war recollections in their papers. I found info re: the 55th Ala. Inf. Reg't there.

            • SUE LONG
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 1, 2013
                THANKS GARY I AM THE GREAT NEICE OF UNCLE BUCK AN AUNT LILLIAN SANDERS WEST,HE MY GRANDMOTHER FLORA MAE WEST SHARP BROTHER, THANKS AGAIN DO U BY CHANCE KNOW WHO HIS FATHER N MOTHER WAS? I HAVE BEEN TOLD IT WAS JOHN K WEST AN SARAH MORRIS BUT I HAVE HEARD IT WAS ALSO WILLIAM AN MARGERAT WEST SO I'M NOT SURE THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP.
                SUE SHARP LONG

                ________________________________

                --- In mailto:jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.com, "SUE" <columbu3@...> wrote:

                > I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHERE WINNIGER CEMETERY IS AT SKYLINE ALSO HOW MANY CEMETERIES NAMED SANDERS AN WHERE ARE THEY LOCATED? THANKS SUE (SHARP)LONG
                >
                > --- In mailto:jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.com, clyde broadway <clydeabroadway@> wrote:
                > >
                > > The Alabama Archives in Montgomery has some Civil War records. You might be able to find some post war recollections in their papers. I found info re: the 55th Ala. Inf. Reg't there.

              • SUE LONG
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 1, 2013
                  YES  BUTDONT ASK ME THERE NAMES I WAS SMALL THE LAST TIME I SEEN ENY OF THEM I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR MORE ABOUT THEM MY GRANDPAPA WAS WILLIAM WILLIE HE WENT BY WILL HE MARRIED FLORA MAE WEST HIS FATHER WAS JACOB GB SHARP HIS MOTHER WAS PELINNA J VENABLE. THE PREACHER WILLIAM MANNING AT HENAGER IS MY COUSIN TO HIS MOTHER WAS A SHARP MY DAD NAME IS JAMES WILLIAM LECIL SHARP HE WAS NICKEDNAMED BUDDY MOST PEOPLE KNEW HAS AS BUDDY SHARP WOULD LOVE TO HEAR MORE WHAT ALL DO U KNOW ABOUT THEM?THANKS .

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 2, 2013
                    Sue, I feel pretty sure that John William "Uncle Buck" West was the son of William West and Margaret "Maggie" Culver. John William appears in the household of his parents in 1910, as does his sister Ella Ola. In 1940, Ella Ola is living in the household of her brother John William West and sister-in-law Lillian Sanders West, who was the daughter of Pearly Redwine Sanders. The latter was the son of Jesse Sanders who donated the land for the Sanders cemetery at Kyles. William West, the father of "Uncle Buck," was the son of John K. West, who was married first to Amanda Seabolt and then to Sarah Malinda Shelton (her first husband was Thomas Newton Potter).
                    --Gary

                    --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, SUE LONG <columbu3@...> wrote:

                    > THANKS GARY I AM THE GREAT NEICE OF UNCLE BUCK AN AUNT LILLIAN SANDERS WEST,HE MY GRANDMOTHER FLORA MAE WEST SHARP BROTHER, THANKS AGAIN DO U BY CHANCE KNOW WHO HIS FATHER N MOTHER WAS? I HAVE BEEN TOLD IT WAS JOHN K WEST AN SARAH MORRIS BUT I HAVE HEARD IT WAS ALSO WILLIAM AN MARGERAT WEST SO I'M NOT SURE THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP.
                    > SUE SHARP LONG

                  • SUE LONG
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 3, 2013
                      U sure did clear up a lot on this family for me THANK U so much, Uncle Buck also had a sister named Flora Mae is my grandmother she the only one I found listed with William an Maggie. I have always been told that Grandpapa JK an both wives had 24 children