Re: [jacksongenealogy] Gattis Family

  • blackcloud27030
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 24, 2013
      Nicholas

      James Gatts (Gattis) m. Sarah McCollum 28 Nov 1843 by John Moorhead, Lincoln Co. TN

      No death record or census record for James A. Gattis after the 1880.

      Death Record from familyseach.org.
      Sarah Gattis d. 18 May 1917 Aspel, Jackson Co. AL.
      Age 89y 3m 13d
      B. abt 1828 TN
      Widowed
      Father: Curtis McCollum b. TN
      Mother: Cinthia Arnold b. AL
      Buried: Buck (Beech) Grove

      No Census record for Sarah after the 1880 found.

      No death records before 1908 in AL were required so James could have died either before 1900 or 1908.

      James A. Gattis patented 120.2 Acres in Township 1 Range 4 Section 8, 01 Oc 1860. This is about a half mile or so off Hwy 65 on the way to Francisco and about a 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 miles Southeast of Francico as the crow flies. Beech Grove where Beech Grove Methodist Church Cemetery is located, 2 tenths miles North of Francisco..

      I have made some corrections to the Census so the Gattis name should be a little earier to find when the get them updated.

      Cordelia Jane Gattis m. Henderson Fletcher  Shepard. She died 15 Aug 1913 bur. Butler Cem.

      Cynthia C. Gattis m. James A. Kennedy 25 Mar 1872

      Clay

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 24, 2013
        The property in sec. 8 belongs to my neighbor to the north. If interested in visiting the property, I could ask if it would be OK.

        Bill Cagle

        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 24, 2013
          Thanks everyone for the info.

          Bill,

          That would be great, except my grandfather is 93 and depending on the day doesn't really get around that well.  Is there much to see there?
          I don't think I've been as far north as Franscisco.  He has taken me around Paint Rock, Limrock, and Larkinsville areas mostly.  He grew up in Paint Rock Valley and the old home is near Aspel Church off 72, but you can't drive to it.  He's joked for awhile about finding a four wheeler and riding out there.  However, last summer he came with me on a hike up to a cemetery in TN.

          Thanks again,

          Nicholas

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 25, 2013
            Nickolas, the property is part of a 380 ac. farm. The 120 ac. referred to is in the mountains on the west side of the farm. It would not be advisable for someone that age to try but you can see the farm from H/W 65. It is one of the finer farms in the valley. If you come north on 65 you will see a 24 mile marker as you go around Round Mountain. Continue one more mile and you will see the farm on the left. It would be at the 25 mile marker but that marker is missing for some reason. At that point you will be 2 miles from Francisco.

            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 26, 2013
              Nicholas,

              My cousin, Elvis Green, has surveyed Beech Grove Cemetery, and his records show the following Gattis' : an infant son of H E and Elizabeth (3/18/1869), Minerva J. (1/12/1857 - 12/3/1933), N. J. (5/24/1852 - 3/6/1933), and Sophia E. (12/31/1859 - 1/7/1871). There are no McCollums. My line of McCollums were in the Gum Springs area, just south of Gattistown. The 1820 census shows Nancy McCollum as the only McCollum in Lincoln County. None of Nancy's family have a Sarah of the correct age to be "yours". In the 1930 census Nancy is no longer head of household, she lives with son Curtis, other McCollums are James (age 30 to 40, another of Nancy's sons), and John (age 40 to 50) with 3 female children between 5 & 10 which might fit your Sarah. An early Lincoln County unpublished court record shows that John McCollum lived near Cane Creek. which is in the right area to be close to the others.

              While researching at the Lincoln Co. TN library, I found the following: "Lincoln County Ancestor Charts, Volume 7, Chart 1312: John McCollum (b NC 1767), wife unknown, daughter SARAH McCollum (5/24/1808 - 5/17/1850) married Cooper Scott. Isn't it just so frustrating when you find a good candidate for an ancestor and suddenly an obvious flaw shows up to show you this one isn't yours?

              John McCollum Green

              On Mar 22, 2013, at 9:50 PM, Nicholas Gattis wrote:

              > I have been working to trace the Gattis family in Jackson Co. Does anyone have records of James Alexander Gattis born about 1824 in Gattistown, Lincoln Co. Tn, no death date. I think he may be buried in the Beech Grove Cemetery. His wife was Sarah McCollum.
              > The family appears in the 1850 census and here's what I can put together:
              >
              > Frances 1845
              > sp. George Washington Hill
              >
              > Cordelia 1847
              >
              > Henry F Gattis 1849-1921
              > sp Margret 1865-1926
              > buried in Aspel Cemetery
              >
              > Newton 1852-1933
              > sp Minerva 1857-1933
              > buried in Beech Grove
              >
              > Cynthia 1855-
              >
              > Thomas A 1857-1934
              > Ida Fanning 1865-1960
              > buried in Aspel Cemetery
              >
              > Leona G or George Leon (two different names in census records) 1863
              >
              > Sophia 1859-1871
              > Buried in Beech Grove
              >
              > Mary E 1867
              >
              > Louteia I 1872

              > Thomas Gattis was my gg-grandfather his children that I have records for were:
              >
              > Herbert Franklin Gattis 1888-1977
              > sp Edith Bynum 1890-1929
              > (my great grandfather)
              >
              > Maude 1898-?
              > sp Orville Boggus
              >
              > Henry Taylor Gattis 1902-1972
              > sp Magie Winkles 1907-1993
              >
              > However, I have a newspaper article from the Business Women's Organization saying Maude was one of 7. Not sure where to find that information since the census records were not much help.
              >
              > Can anyone fill in any missing gaps? I am planning to visit my grandfather in Huntsville the first week in April and hopefully make a trip to Beech Grove. James Wilson Fanning might be buried there, too. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > Nicholas Gattis

            • John Green
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 26, 2013
                Clay,

                You have just provided me with a real surprise! I am a decendant of Curtis and Cynthia McCollum and my fellow researchers of this bloodline & I are unaware of this Sarah McCollum. Her birth date of 1828 makes her the oldest of Curtis and Cynthia's brood by 3 years. Curtis would have been 24 and Cynthia 19. I do not know when Curtis and Cynthia were married.

                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 26, 2013
                  John,

                  I had seen your files on the site as well and was wondering if there was any connection.  I have no idea either because the trail runs a bit cold at that point.  I have only been able to connect the Gattis line to other's trees through James and no one else seems to have any information on him or his descendants.  Is there any information in the 1830 census?

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 26, 2013
                    Beech Grove Cem.

                    N. J. Gattis is Newton J. Gattis.

                    Minerva (Kirkpatrick) Gattis is Newton J.'s wife.

                  • Nicholas Gattis
                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 26, 2013
                      Trust me, I know the feeling.

                      The only other McCollum I have a record of is Hiram, age 26, who was living with James and Sarah Gaddis* in the 1870 Census.  The only mention of James and Sarah other than census records is the 1934 obituary of Thomas A Gattis that lists his parents by name.

                      Nicholas

                      ________________________________
> [...]

                      > Mary E 1867
                      >
                      > Louteia I 1872

                      > Thomas Gattis was my gg-grandfather his children that I have records for were:
                      >
                      > Herbert Franklin Gattis 1888-1977
                      > sp Edith Bynum 1890-1929
                      > (my great grandfather)
                      >
                      > Maude 1898-?
                      > sp Orville Boggus
                      >
                      > Henry Taylor Gattis 1902-1972
                      > sp Magie Winkles 1907-1993
                      >
                      > However, I have a newspaper article from the Business Women's Organization saying Maude was one of 7. Not sure where to find that information since the census records were not much help.
                      >
                      > Can anyone fill in any missing gaps? I am planning to visit my grandfather in Huntsville the first week in April and hopefully make a trip to Beech Grove. James Wilson Fanning might be buried there, too. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

                    • blackcloud27030
                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 26, 2013
                        Sophia E. Gattis death date, I believe is in error it should be 1/7/1891 she was Newton Jasper Gattis's first wife and didn't marry until 1873. Those old stones are sometimes hard to read.

                        Clay

                        ________________________________
> [...]

                        > Mary E 1867
                        >
                        > Louteia I 1872

                        > Thomas Gattis was my gg-grandfather his children that I have records for were:
                        >
                        > Herbert Franklin Gattis 1888-1977
                        > sp Edith Bynum 1890-1929
                        > (my great grandfather)
                        >
                        > Maude 1898-?
                        > sp Orville Boggus
                        >
                        > Henry Taylor Gattis 1902-1972
                        > sp Magie Winkles 1907-1993
                        >
                        > However, I have a newspaper article from the Business Women's Organization saying Maude was one of 7. Not sure where to find that information since the census records were not much help.
                        >
                        > Can anyone fill in any missing gaps? I am planning to visit my grandfather in Huntsville the first week in April and hopefully make a trip to Beech Grove. James Wilson Fanning might be buried there, too. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

                      • Nicholas Gattis
                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 26, 2013
                          There is a Sophia E (daughter of James and Sarah) in the 1870 census born 1859.  She is not in the Gattis house in 1880.

                          ________________________________
> [...]

                          > Mary E 1867
                          >
                          > Louteia I 1872

                          > Thomas Gattis was my gg-grandfather his children that I have records for were:
                          >
                          > Herbert Franklin Gattis 1888-1977
                          > sp Edith Bynum 1890-1929
                          > (my great grandfather)
                          >
                          > Maude 1898-?
                          > sp Orville Boggus
                          >
                          > Henry Taylor Gattis 1902-1972
                          > sp Magie Winkles 1907-1993
                          >
                          > However, I have a newspaper article from the Business Women's Organization saying Maude was one of 7. Not sure where to find that information since the census records were not much help.
                          >
                          > Can anyone fill in any missing gaps? I am planning to visit my grandfather in Huntsville the first week in April and hopefully make a trip to Beech Grove. James Wilson Fanning might be buried there, too. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

                        • Nicholas Gattis
                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 26, 2013
                            Headstone from previous email
                            http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GScid=21462&GRid=72070684&

                            ________________________________
> [...]

                            > Mary E 1867
                            >
                            > Louteia I 1872

                            > Thomas Gattis was my gg-grandfather his children that I have records for were:
                            >
                            > Herbert Franklin Gattis 1888-1977
                            > sp Edith Bynum 1890-1929
                            > (my great grandfather)
                            >
                            > Maude 1898-?
                            > sp Orville Boggus
                            >
                            > Henry Taylor Gattis 1902-1972
                            > sp Magie Winkles 1907-1993
                            >
                            > However, I have a newspaper article from the Business Women's Organization saying Maude was one of 7. Not sure where to find that information since the census records were not much help.
                            >
                            > Can anyone fill in any missing gaps? I am planning to visit my grandfather in Huntsville the first week in April and hopefully make a trip to Beech Grove. James Wilson Fanning might be buried there, too. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

                          • blackcloud27030
                            Message 13 of 19 , Mar 26, 2013
                              Should have looked at the tombstone I added a correction 3 days ago that she was James Alexander and Sarah (McCullom) Gattis's daughter. Getting old and forgetful.

                              Clay

                              ________________________________
> [...]

                              > Mary E 1867
                              >
                              > Louteia I 1872

                              > Thomas Gattis was my gg-grandfather his children that I have records for were:
                              >
                              > Herbert Franklin Gattis 1888-1977
                              > sp Edith Bynum 1890-1929
                              > (my great grandfather)
                              >
                              > Maude 1898-?
                              > sp Orville Boggus
                              >
                              > Henry Taylor Gattis 1902-1972
                              > sp Magie Winkles 1907-1993
                              >
                              > However, I have a newspaper article from the Business Women's Organization saying Maude was one of 7. Not sure where to find that information since the census records were not much help.
                              >
                              > Can anyone fill in any missing gaps? I am planning to visit my grandfather in Huntsville the first week in April and hopefully make a trip to Beech Grove. James Wilson Fanning might be buried there, too. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

                            • diane.cagle
                              Message 14 of 19 , Mar 27, 2013
                                What about Richard McCollum?

> [...]

                                > Mary E 1867
                                >
                                > Louteia I 1872

                                > Thomas Gattis was my gg-grandfather his children that I have records for were:
                                >
                                > Herbert Franklin Gattis 1888-1977
                                > sp Edith Bynum 1890-1929
                                > (my great grandfather)
                                >
                                > Maude 1898-?
                                > sp Orville Boggus
                                >
                                > Henry Taylor Gattis 1902-1972
                                > sp Magie Winkles 1907-1993
                                >
                                > However, I have a newspaper article from the Business Women's Organization saying Maude was one of 7. Not sure where to find that information since the census records were not much help.
                                >
                                > Can anyone fill in any missing gaps? I am planning to visit my grandfather in Huntsville the first week in April and hopefully make a trip to Beech Grove. James Wilson Fanning might be buried there, too. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

                              • John Green
                                Message 15 of 19 , Mar 28, 2013
                                  Nicholas,

                                  Next time I go to Lincoln county library, I'll look him up. This may take a while. I have passed Sarah's name to my other researchers of this line, but haven't heard back yet. Our internet was out all day yesterday.

                                  John

                                • Jewel Casey
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Mar 28, 2013

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Mar 28, 2013
                                      Not butting in John, Clay and anyone needing help but this may help, confusing? Oh yes, before anyone ask, Isaac GADDIS (the only one listed) 1820 Lincoln County, TN. Please double check my work, I might make errors to make sure you are paying attention, hahaha, just kidding. Jewel

                                      1 m 26-45, 2 m - 10--
                                      1 f 26-45,1 f 16-26, 3 f 10-16, 3 f -10

                                      I have the 1830 Lincoln County, TN census and these are the GATTIS listed, page 223 all living in line as listed:
                                      GATTIS, Thomas
                                      210001-01001

                                      GATTIS, Isaac
                                      30011001-0022101

                                      GATTIS, Charles
                                      100001-1-000001

                                      GATTIS, James
                                      000000001-000010001

                                      GATTIS, Nathaniel
                                      00001-11001

                                      Now 1840 Lincoln County, TN

                                      GATTIS, Charles page 22
                                      1 m 30-40,1 m 10-15, 1 m 5-10--
                                      1 f 30-40, 1 f -5, A-3

                                      GATTIS, Isaac page 23
                                      1 m 60-70, 1 m 15-20, 2 m 10-15,--
                                      1 f 50-60,1 f 5-10, A-4

                                      GATTIS, Thomas page 23
                                      1 m 40-50, 2 m 15-20, 1 m 10-15, 1 m -5--
                                      1 f 30-40, 1 f 15-20, 1 f 5-10, A-3

                                      GATTES, William page 23
                                      1 m 30-40, 1 m 5-10, 1 m -5--
                                      1 f 20-30, 1 f 5-10, A-1

                                      GATTIS, B.W. Page 25
                                      1 m 20-30,1 m 10-15--
                                      1 f 20-30,2 f -5, sl-1, A-2

                                      GATTIS, Nathaniel page 25
                                      1 m 30-40,--
                                      1 f 80-90, 1 f 40-50, 1 f 15-20,1 f 10-15, sl-8, A-6, T-1

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Mar 30, 2013
                                        Jewel,

                                        Thanks a lot! It might have taken me weeks to get to it.