Re: [jacksongenealogy] Cems in Doran's Cove, Jackson Co, AL Ridley Cem

  • KLinge6131@...
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 20, 2013
      Some information; after the Ridley cemetery was surveyed 1999, a grave
      stone marker was added for Frances Ellen Marshall Ridley, and Baby who died
      1891. She was the first wife of John B Ridley.
      Placed 2001 by Skyline Monument, Scottsboro, Al. There had just been a
      plain stone for her marker for over a hundred years. There was a great interest
      by five of the great grandchildren after it was proven. Kay Lingenfelter

      In a message dated 3/20/2013 3:10:28 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      blackcloud27030@... writes:

      Jerry

      The Ridley Cem was surveyed by Jane and Randy Nichols in 1999.

      The Ridley Cemetery is located off HWY 117, turn left on County RD 91, the
      cemetery is on the right about 2 1/2 miles. It is grown up and can not be
      seen from the road. This is North of Bass and not in Doran's Cove it looks
      to me.

      My Cemetery Map locates this up in Doran's Cove area but of uncertain
      location, it is apparently wrong. Jane and Randy managed to find it someway.

      Neither the Cemetery Map or the Range and Townships Maps show any cemetery
      on the West of County RD 98 in Doran's Cove.

      We owe so much to Jane and Randy who surveyed so many of Jackson County
      cemeteries. Jane (Talley) Nichols passed away in Nov 2011.

      A new Alabama Cemetery Law was passed in 2007 and went into effect in
      2008. The owners or leasee have the duty to allow reasonable access to the
      cemeteries with notification of the land or lease holders. They can specify the
      route, times etc. You can google Alabama Cemetery Law to read the full law.

      We are slowly but surely losing many of the old family cemeteries for any
      number of reasons logging, farmers removing the tombstones and plowing over
      them, woods growing up over them, etc.

      Clay

      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 5, 2013
        ARENDALE is aka Irondale that area is behind the old Kmart shopping center in Richard City/aka Midway? South Pittsburg area right across the TN AL state line. Past the old ruins of the Dixie cement plant. The Doran's Cove exit is by the state line too. Doran's area also extends to the Russell Cave area. Very nice for a Sunday drive.

      • diane.cagle
        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 6, 2013
          I remember Oscar Ridley owned the property around Russel Cave before it became famous in the 1950's