Re: [jacksongenealogy] Re: Cems in Doran's Cove, Jackson Co, AL

  • Linda Wilson
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 19, 2013
      On Find a Grave, Dorans Cove cemetery list 130 graves.

    • blackcloud27030
      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 19, 2013
        Jerry

        The Arendale Cem is listed on the MegaCemJacksonALL File.

        Another cemetery listed up in that area is the Ridley Cem. but only 2 graves Elisha and Elizabeth Ridley and is on the MegaCem File.

        Karen surveyed the Wynne Cem. out of Bridgeport in Kings Cove on the Kings Cove Rd which she said was in TN, it too is on the MegaCem File.

        I looked at the Jackson Co. Cemetery map and did not see any other cemeteries listed up in the Doran Cove area. It does list a little village/town/wide spot in the road? of Montague on the road up that way.

        There are no Montagues listed on the MegaCem File. He could well be buried in an old family farm cemetery and is unmarked.

        There are no cemeteries shown West of the road unless  it is up in TN.

        Clay

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 19, 2013
          Hi Clay,

          Are there any Greens listed in these old cemeteries? Especially after 1835 when Lewis received his land grant?

          Thanks

          Patsy (Green) Foster

          Gg granddaughter of Lewis Green

          (in Okla)

          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 19, 2013
            Pat

            I could find no cemetery listing for a Lewis Green.

            Lewis Green patented 159.4 acres in Township 2 Range 7 Section 8 on 01 Jul 1831. This is about a mile and a half or so NW of Rash and just North of Little Coon Creek.

            There is just one near by cemtery Helton-Austin/Little Coon Creek Cem and the first burial listed for it is in 1877. A mile or so South of Lewis Green's land is Shipp Cem. but I found no Greens buried.

            Lewis Green does appear on the 1830 and 1840 Jackson Co. Census.

            Clay

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 19, 2013
              Thanks, Clay.

              I didn’t think Lewis himself died there. He probably died somewhere in the vicinity of Christian County, MO, or Fulton County, Arkansas.

              I was in hopes a relative might have been buried in the area to give me a name to use to do research and connect the two of them somewhere.

              Supposedly, his father Jeremiah is buried in Tenn (without looking at my records) maybe Hamblen County, which became part of another county???

              I know there are Greens in Jackson County, but John? Couldn’t find a connection to Lewis….

              And, there were several Greens who got land grants, mostly after Lewis did. And, I feel like some of them were related to him???

              Anyway, if an odd (not strange, but unconnected; LOL) Green shows up, I hope to notice and check him/her out!!

              My bucket list has in it: Visit Jackson County and Russell Cave, as well as Doran’s Cove!!

              Thanks, once again.

              Patsy (Green) Foster

              In Oklahoma

              Today, I was told of two cemeteries in Doran's Cove that I was not aware of. One was called the Arendale cem near the TN/AL line and east of the road. The other may be located west of the road somewhere near where Montague Mountain is closest to the road. Anyone have any info on these two cems?

              Thanks.

            • Jerry Triplett
              Message 6 of 22 , Mar 20, 2013
                Clay: Thanks for the good info. I may look into putting the Arendale cem info on Findagrave - I've never done that before. Another thing of interest is that some of the Arendales seem to be buried in two places - have to check on that.

                From what you said, the Ridleys must be buried on the east side of the road - right?

                It was a person that grew up in the Cove that was telling me about the "unmarked" grave yard on the west side of the road. I'm going to look further.

                This whole thing brings up a number of questions. For example, is there a state mandated definition for a "graveyard?" There is for about everything else, so there probably is one for a graveyard.

                TN cemetery laws require that graveyards on private property be open to the public at least one day a year (not completely sure of the frequency) -- does AL have a similar law?

                Thanks for the help.

                Today, I was told of two cemeteries in Doran's Cove that I was not aware of. One was called the Arendale cem near the TN/AL line and east of the road. The other may be located west of the road somewhere near where Montague Mountain is closest to the road. Anyone have any info on these two cems?

                Thanks.

              • William J. Rash
                Message 7 of 22 , Mar 20, 2013
                  Clay:

                  Do you happen to know where William Rash, the namesake for Rash, Alabama is buried? Thank you for any information you can provide.

                  William J. Rash
                  Sacramento, CA

                  Sent from my iPhone

                  On Mar 19, 2013, at 6:49 PM, blackcloud27030@... wrote:

                  > Pat
                  >
                  > I could find no cemetery listing for a Lewis Green.
                  >
                  > Lewis Green patented 159.4 acres in Township 2 Range 7 Section 8 on 01 Jul 1831. This is about a mile and a half or so NW of Rash and just North of Little Coon Creek.
                  >
                  > There is just one near by cemtery Helton-Austin/Little Coon Creek Cem and the first burial listed for it is in 1877. A mile or so South of Lewis Green's land is Shipp Cem. but I found no Greens buried.
                  >
                  > Lewis Green does appear on the 1830 and 1840 Jackson Co. Census.
                  >
                  > Clay
                  >

                  > ________________________________

                • Kathy Thomison
                  Message 8 of 22 , Mar 20, 2013
                    Hi William,

                    My name is Kathy Rash Thomison.   I am descendant of William Rash from Rash, Alabama.  Please, email and we can exchange information.  TXrredhead2000@....

                    Looking forward to hearing from you.

                    KATHY

                    ________________________________
                    Do you happen to know where William Rash, the namesake for Rash, Alabama is buried? Thank you for any information you can provide.

                    William J. Rash
                    Sacramento, CA

                    Sent from my iPhone

                    On Mar 19, 2013, at 6:49 PM, blackcloud27030@... wrote:

                    > Pat
                    >
                    > I could find no cemetery listing for a Lewis Green.
                    >
                    > Lewis Green patented 159.4 acres in Township 2 Range 7 Section 8 on 01 Jul 1831. This is about a mile and a half or so NW of Rash and just North of Little Coon Creek.
                    >
                    > There is just one near by cemtery Helton-Austin/Little Coon Creek Cem and the first burial listed for it is in 1877. A mile or so South of Lewis Green's land is Shipp Cem. but I found no Greens buried.
                    >
                    > Lewis Green does appear on the 1830 and 1840 Jackson Co. Census.
                    >
                    > Clay
                    >

                    > ________________________________

                  • blackcloud27030
                    Message 9 of 22 , Mar 20, 2013
                      Jerry

                      The Ridley Cem was surveyed by Jane and Randy Nichols in 1999.

                      The Ridley Cemetery is located off HWY 117, turn left on County RD 91, the cemetery is on the right about 2 1/2 miles. It is grown up and can not be seen from the road. This is North of Bass and not in Doran's Cove it looks to me.

                      My Cemetery Map locates this up in Doran's Cove area but of uncertain location, it is apparently wrong. Jane and Randy managed to find it someway.

                      Neither the Cemetery Map or the Range and Townships Maps show any cemetery on the West of County RD 98 in Doran's Cove.

                      We owe so much to Jane and Randy who surveyed so many of Jackson County cemeteries. Jane (Talley) Nichols passed away in Nov 2011.

                      A new Alabama Cemetery Law was passed in 2007 and went into effect in 2008. The owners or leasee have the duty to allow reasonable access to the cemeteries with notification of the land or lease holders. They can specify the route, times etc. You can google Alabama Cemetery Law to read the full law.

                      We are slowly but surely losing many of the old family cemeteries for any number of reasons logging, farmers removing the tombstones and plowing over them, woods growing up over them, etc.

                      Clay

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 22 , Mar 20, 2013
                        The most likely place of burial of William J. Rash is the Longacre
                        Cemetery located in the heart of the Rash community. There are no
                        engraved markers for Rash family members prior to 1931. The 3 earliest
                        engraved markers for Rash family members include:
                        L. R. Rash, born 1-26-1847, died 7-9-1931; Sarah Jane Rash, born
                        7-28-1855, died 11-13-1937; and William A. rash, born 10-25, 1880, died
                        7-23-1960. There are many unmarked graves in this cemetery.
                        Ann B. Chambless

                        On 3/20/2013 7:14 AM, William J. Rash wrote:

                        > Clay:
                        >
                        > Do you happen to know where William Rash, the namesake for Rash,
                        > Alabama is buried? Thank you for any information you can provide.
                        >
                        > William J. Rash
                        >

                        > Switch to: Text-Only
                        > <mailto:jacksongenealogy-traditional@yahoogroups.com?subject=Change%20Delivery%20Format:%20Traditional>,
                        > Daily Digest
                        > <mailto:jacksongenealogy-digest@yahoogroups.com?subject=Email%20Delivery:%20Digest>
                        > • Unsubscribe
                        > <mailto:jacksongenealogy-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe>
                        > • Terms of Use <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> • Send us Feedback
                        > <mailto:ygroupsnotifications@yahoogroups.com?subject=Feedback%20on%20the%20redesigned%20individual%20mail%20v1>
                        > .

                      • blackcloud27030
                        Message 11 of 22 , Mar 20, 2013
                          William

                          I could not find any listing for your William  Rash.

                          Clay

                          ________________________________

                          On Mar 19, 2013, at 6:49 PM, mailto:blackcloud27030%40yahoo.com wrote:

                          > Pat
                          >
                          > I could find no cemetery listing for a Lewis Green.
                          >
                          > Lewis Green patented 159.4 acres in Township 2 Range 7 Section 8 on 01 Jul 1831. This is about a mile and a half or so NW of Rash and just North of Little Coon Creek.
                          >
                          > There is just one near by cemtery Helton-Austin/Little Coon Creek Cem and the first burial listed for it is in 1877. A mile or so South of Lewis Green's land is Shipp Cem. but I found no Greens buried.
                          >
                          > Lewis Green does appear on the 1830 and 1840 Jackson Co. Census.
                          >
                          > Clay
                          >

                          > ________________________________

                        • William J. Rash
                          Message 12 of 22 , Mar 20, 2013
                            Sent from my iPhone

                            On Mar 20, 2013, at 12:28 PM, Ann <rabc123@...> wrote:

                            > The most likely place of burial of William J. Rash is the Longacre
                            > Cemetery located in the heart of the Rash community. There are no
                            > engraved markers for Rash family members prior to 1931. The 3 earliest
                            > engraved markers for Rash family members include:
                            > L. R. Rash, born 1-26-1847, died 7-9-1931; Sarah Jane Rash, born
                            > 7-28-1855, died 11-13-1937; and William A. rash, born 10-25, 1880, died
                            > 7-23-1960. There are many unmarked graves in this cemetery.
                            > Ann B. Chambless
                            >
                            > On 3/20/2013 7:14 AM, William J. Rash wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Clay:
                            > >
                            > > Do you happen to know where William Rash, the namesake for Rash,
                            > > Alabama is buried? Thank you for any information you can provide.
                            > >
                            > > William J. Rash
                            > >

                            > > Switch to: Text-Only
                            > > <mailto:jacksongenealogy-traditional@yahoogroups.com?subject=Change%20Delivery%20Format:%20Traditional>,
                            > > Daily Digest
                            > > <mailto:jacksongenealogy-digest@yahoogroups.com?subject=Email%20Delivery:%20Digest>
                            > > • Unsubscribe
                            > > <mailto:jacksongenealogy-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe>
                            > > • Terms of Use <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> • Send us Feedback
                            > > <mailto:ygroupsnotifications@yahoogroups.com?subject=Feedback%20on%20the%20redesigned%20individual%20mail%20v1>
                            > > .

                          • William J. Rash
                            Message 13 of 22 , Mar 20, 2013
                              Thank you Ann for the information on William Rash (1770-1858).

                              William J. Rash

                              Sent from my iPhone

                              On Mar 20, 2013, at 12:28 PM, Ann <rabc123@...> wrote:

                              > The most likely place of burial of William J. Rash is the Longacre
                              > Cemetery located in the heart of the Rash community. There are no
                              > engraved markers for Rash family members prior to 1931. The 3 earliest
                              > engraved markers for Rash family members include:
                              > L. R. Rash, born 1-26-1847, died 7-9-1931; Sarah Jane Rash, born
                              > 7-28-1855, died 11-13-1937; and William A. rash, born 10-25, 1880, died
                              > 7-23-1960. There are many unmarked graves in this cemetery.
                              > Ann B. Chambless
                              >
                              > On 3/20/2013 7:14 AM, William J. Rash wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Clay:
                              > >
                              > > Do you happen to know where William Rash, the namesake for Rash,
                              > > Alabama is buried? Thank you for any information you can provide.
                              > >
                              > > William J. Rash
                              > >

                              > > Switch to: Text-Only
                              > > <mailto:jacksongenealogy-traditional@yahoogroups.com?subject=Change%20Delivery%20Format:%20Traditional>,
                              > > Daily Digest
                              > > <mailto:jacksongenealogy-digest@yahoogroups.com?subject=Email%20Delivery:%20Digest>
                              > > • Unsubscribe
                              > > <mailto:jacksongenealogy-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe>
                              > > • Terms of Use <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> • Send us Feedback
                              > > <mailto:ygroupsnotifications@yahoogroups.com?subject=Feedback%20on%20the%20redesigned%20individual%20mail%20v1>
                              > > .

                            • William J. Rash
                              Message 14 of 22 , Mar 20, 2013
                                Thank you Clay for your efforts to find the grave of William Rash (1770-1858).

                                William J. Rash

                                Sent from my iPhone

                              • KLinge6131@...
                                Message 15 of 22 , Mar 20, 2013
                                  Some information; after the Ridley cemetery was surveyed 1999, a grave
                                  stone marker was added for Frances Ellen Marshall Ridley, and Baby who died
                                  1891. She was the first wife of John B Ridley.
                                  Placed 2001 by Skyline Monument, Scottsboro, Al. There had just been a
                                  plain stone for her marker for over a hundred years. There was a great interest
                                  by five of the great grandchildren after it was proven. Kay Lingenfelter

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Apr 5 9:51 PM
                                    ARENDALE is aka Irondale that area is behind the old Kmart shopping center in Richard City/aka Midway? South Pittsburg area right across the TN AL state line. Past the old ruins of the Dixie cement plant. The Doran's Cove exit is by the state line too. Doran's area also extends to the Russell Cave area. Very nice for a Sunday drive.

                                  • diane.cagle
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Apr 6 7:08 AM
                                      I remember Oscar Ridley owned the property around Russel Cave before it became famous in the 1950's