Re: [jacksongenealogy] Digest Number 2998 - DNA testing

  • John Green
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 25, 2013
      Consider carefully just how interested you are in finding who your genes say you are. Buying the 67 marker test to begin with is much more cost effective than testing to 12 or 28 markers and upgrading to 67 later. After long consideration I chose the 67 marker yDNA test and found I had 67/67 matches to a lot of people named Farris including one in Scotland. There were also four other men with various surnames. A 67/67 match means that there is a 90% chance of a common ancestor within the last four generations. This was a real surprise for a man named Green whose family did not include any Farrises for at least 5 generations before myself, based on my own research. Guess I still have some work to do, but it sure does get confusing.

      John M. Green