Re: [jacksongenealogy] Thomas Earl Shavers 1940 Jackson Co. AL Census

  • Sara Shavers
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 11, 2013
      Thank you so much, I have located those records just recently, however I
      can not find any of them after that census until I find Thomas J Shavers
      dod 6/1/58 in Huntsville, AL. I have been told that Ruth was committed to a
      mental hospital in Tuscaloosa and that the boys were taken at that time.
      Ruth's maiden name is Ratcliff ( per a contact ) however she and the boys
      seemingly have vanished completely. I am beyond frustrated at this point.
      Any suggestions?? My father in law Thomas Earl Shavers passed away in 2007
      and never spoke about his family. thank you so much

      On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 8:00 PM, <blackcloud27030@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > On the 1940 Jackson Co Census this family was indexed as Shovers, I have
      > added a correct spelling.
      >
      > 1940 Census Hollywood, Jackson Co. AL Main St. 1935 Same Place
      > Tomie Shavers 29 NC
      > Ruth 23 AL
      > Thomas Earl 4 AL
      > James Carl 2 AL
      >
      > 1930 Bridgeport JC AL
      > George Shavers 40 TN TN TN
      > Tome 20 AL
      > Ethel H. 19 AL
      >
      > 1920 Allison JC AL
      > George W. Shavers 46 AL TN AL
      > Thomas 14 AL
      > Bertia 12 AL
      >
      > Ethel 8 AL
      >
      > Not sure of the 1920 and 1930 as the age is off.
      >
      > If the age on the 1920 is correct then on the WW1 Reg, George Willie
      > Shavers Kash, JC AL b. 15 May 1874 Nearest Relative Nathan Shavers Kash.
      >
      > There were various spellings of the name I believe Shavers, Shaver,
      > Chavers, Chaver. Supposedly part Native American.
      >
      > Clay
      >
      > If the age is right on the 1920 then on the WW1 index he is George Willie
      > Shavers, b. 15 May 1874, Address Kash, JC AL, Nearest Relative Nathan
      > Shaervs Kash.
      >
      > There is a George Shavers on the 1900 JC Census b
      >
      > Clay

      Sara Shavers
      skshavers@...
      314-392-3411

    • shavers7375
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 11, 2013
        Yes, that information on the 1940 census is the only confirmation I have of my father in law thomas earl and a brother james carl and Tomies wife Ruth ( nee Ratcliff? ). I have spoken with the daughter of Bertie Shavers who was in contact with her Aunt Ethel Shavers Wilson as well. She remembers her Uncle Tom and Aunt Ruth vaguely and she remembers the boys. She was told that her Aunt Ruth was taken to a hospital in Tuscaloosa because she couldn't " take care of her home and family" and that the boys were taken then. She didn't think her Uncle Tom ever had them again. She also confirmed that her Uncle Thomas Jackson Shavers ( Tomie Shaver/Shovers) was struck by a car and died in Huntsville, AL in 1958. I have ordered the obit, unsure that it will have any pertinent information.