Re: Meredith Carter Jr? b. 1836 Alabama

  • Marge
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 2, 2013
      Try checking when the census was enumerated...maybe they were traveling, or had land in both places.

      I noticed that quite a few family files had info wrong, so may have confused the many Merideth/Meredith/Melody Carters.
      Marge

      --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "quietholler.dana" wrote:

> [...]
      > Birthplace: North Carolina
      > Home in 1880: Prairie, Newton, Arkansas
      > Race: White
      > Gender: Female
      > Relation to Head of House: Mother
      > Marital Status: Divorced
      > Father's Birthplace: North Carolina
      > Mother's Birthplace: North Carolina
      > Neighbors: View others on page
      > Occupation: Unemployed
      >

      > Household Members:
      > Name Age
      > Merideth Carter 47
      > Nancy Carter 43
      > Marideth Carter 15
      > Joseph Carter 13
      > Malinda Carter 10
      > Addleline Carter 8
      > Jane Carter 4
      > Prudence Carter 81
      >

      > I found these records on Ancestry a while back and stopped working on the Carters for a while, I found them so confusing. In this census Prudence is listed as mother of Meridith, and is divorced. I don't know enough of Carter history to understand how this group fits together. Prudence must be the daughter of Barney and Mary Jacks Carter, but I'm not so sure that this Meredith is son of Meredith and Martha Elizabeth. I also didn't know that Prudence and Jesse were divorced. Do you think Jesse's age was right on the 1850 census? He would have been quite a few years younger than Prudence, if so.
      >
      > Have you noticed how the Carters seem to have "mirror images" in Tennessee. Thee are Littleton and Logan Carters there also. Sorry to be all questions and no answers. Genealogy is interesting. Dana
      >

      > --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, blackcloud27030@ wrote:
      > >
      > > Well here is a little more confusion to add to your tree.
      > >

      > > 1850 Jackson Co. AL Dist 21
      > > Jesse Money 36 b. NC
      > > Prudence Money 51 b. NC
      > > Marida Carter age 14 b. AL
      > >
      > > 1860 Dist 13 Franklin Co. TN
      > > Meridith Carter 26 Farmer b. AL
      > > Nancy A. Carter 25 b. AL
      > > Martha E. Carter 3 b. AL
      > > Prudence Carter 61 b. NC
      > >
      > > Meredith Carter m. Nancy A. Webb 07 Aug 1854 Jackson Co. AL
      > >
      > > 1870 Dist 16 Franklin Co. TN
      > > House/Family 29
      > > Meirbitte Carter 31 Farmer AL (all this family is listed as b. AL)
      > > Nancy Ann Carter 30
      > > Martha 13
      > > Louisa 9
      > > Meredith 6
      > > Josiah 4
      > > Mary 1
      > > House/Family 30
      > > Prudence Money 81 Farmer AL (again all listed as b. AL) The census taker was just lazy I think.
      > > Jane 35
      > > James 6
      > > Martha 4
      > >
      > > On ancestry.com they are spelled Caster on the 1860/70.
      > >
      > > The Moneys were also from the Surry/Wilkes Counties, NC area.
      > >
      > > The question is what if any relation is Meredith Carter (Jr?) to the Money family. Is Prudence Money his grandmother or his aunt???

    • SUE LONG
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2013
        THIS IS SO AMAZING CAUSE I TO AM RELATED TO SOME CARTERS IN MARSHALL COUNTY AL. AN IN TENNESSEE TO MY GREAT GRANDPAPA WAS EDWARD CARTER IT SAID HE CAME HERE FROM ARKASANA LIVED ON A HOUSEBOAT MY GRANDPAPA 'S NAME IS HESTER MILES CARTER  THE SECOND COUSIN TO RADFORT C. CARTER IN ARAB BUT HE LIKE ALL THE OTHERS I TRY TO ASK QUESTIONS ABOUT THE FAMILY HE WILL NOT TALK ABOUT THEM . JUST LOVE IT
        IT REAL INTERESTING,