Meredith Carter Jr? b. 1836 Alabama

  • blackcloud27030
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 31, 2013
      Well here is a little more confusion to add to your tree.

      1850 Jackson Co. AL Dist 21
      Jesse Money 36 b. NC
      Prudence Money 51 b. NC
      Marida Carter age 14 b. AL

      1860 Dist 13 Franklin Co. TN
      Meridith Carter 26 Farmer b. AL
      Nancy A. Carter 25 b. AL
      Martha E. Carter 3 b. AL
      Prudence Carter 61 b. NC

      Meredith Carter m. Nancy A. Webb 07 Aug 1854 Jackson Co. AL

      1870 Dist 16 Franklin Co. TN
      House/Family 29
      Meirbitte Carter 31 Farmer AL (all this family is listed as b. AL)
      Nancy Ann Carter 30
      Martha 13
      Louisa 9
      Meredith 6
      Josiah 4
      Mary 1
      House/Family 30
      Prudence Money 81 Farmer AL (again all listed as b. AL) The census taker was just lazy I think.
      Jane 35
      James 6
      Martha 4

      On ancestry.com they are spelled Caster on the 1860/70.

      The Moneys were also from the Surry/Wilkes Counties, NC area.

      The question is what if any relation is Meredith Carter (Jr?) to the Money family. Is Prudence Money his grandmother or his aunt???

      Isn't genealogy fun!

    • quietholler.dana
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2013
        Clay- The plot thickens:

        Prudence Carter
        Age: 81
        Birth Year: abt 1799
        Birthplace: North Carolina
        Home in 1880: Prairie, Newton, Arkansas
        Race: White
        Gender: Female
        Relation to Head of House: Mother
        Marital Status: Divorced
        Father's Birthplace: North Carolina
        Mother's Birthplace: North Carolina
        Neighbors: View others on page
        Occupation: Unemployed

        Household Members:
        Name Age
        Merideth Carter 47
        Nancy Carter 43
        Marideth Carter 15
        Joseph Carter 13
        Malinda Carter 10
        Addleline Carter 8
        Jane Carter 4
        Prudence Carter 81

        I found these records on Ancestry a while back and stopped working on the Carters for a while, I found them so confusing. In this census Prudence is listed as mother of Meridith, and is divorced. I don't know enough of Carter history to understand how this group fits together. Prudence must be the daughter of Barney and Mary Jacks Carter, but I'm not so sure that this Meredith is son of Meredith and Martha Elizabeth. I also didn't know that Prudence and Jesse were divorced. Do you think Jesse's age was right on the 1850 census? He would have been quite a few years younger than Prudence, if so.

        Have you noticed how the Carters seem to have "mirror images" in Tennessee. Thee are Littleton and Logan Carters there also. Sorry to be all questions and no answers. Genealogy is interesting. Dana

        --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, blackcloud27030@... wrote:

        > Well here is a little more confusion to add to your tree.
        >

        > 1850 Jackson Co. AL Dist 21
        > Jesse Money 36 b. NC
        > Prudence Money 51 b. NC
        > Marida Carter age 14 b. AL
        >
        > 1860 Dist 13 Franklin Co. TN
        > Meridith Carter 26 Farmer b. AL
        > Nancy A. Carter 25 b. AL
        > Martha E. Carter 3 b. AL
        > Prudence Carter 61 b. NC
        >
        > Meredith Carter m. Nancy A. Webb 07 Aug 1854 Jackson Co. AL
        >
        > 1870 Dist 16 Franklin Co. TN
        > House/Family 29
        > Meirbitte Carter 31 Farmer AL (all this family is listed as b. AL)
        > Nancy Ann Carter 30
        > Martha 13
        > Louisa 9
        > Meredith 6
        > Josiah 4
        > Mary 1
        > House/Family 30
        > Prudence Money 81 Farmer AL (again all listed as b. AL) The census taker was just lazy I think.
        > Jane 35
        > James 6
        > Martha 4
        >
        > On ancestry.com they are spelled Caster on the 1860/70.
        >
        > The Moneys were also from the Surry/Wilkes Counties, NC area.
        >
        > The question is what if any relation is Meredith Carter (Jr?) to the Money family. Is Prudence Money his grandmother or his aunt???
        >
        > Isn't genealogy fun!
        >
        > Clay

      • Marge
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 2, 2013
          Try checking when the census was enumerated...maybe they were traveling, or had land in both places.

          I noticed that quite a few family files had info wrong, so may have confused the many Merideth/Meredith/Melody Carters.
          Marge

          --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "quietholler.dana" wrote:

> [...]
          > >
          > > 1870 Dist 16 Franklin Co. TN
          > > House/Family 29
          > > Meirbitte Carter 31 Farmer AL (all this family is listed as b. AL)
          > > Nancy Ann Carter 30
          > > Martha 13
          > > Louisa 9
          > > Meredith 6
          > > Josiah 4
          > > Mary 1
          > > House/Family 30
          > > Prudence Money 81 Farmer AL (again all listed as b. AL) The census taker was just lazy I think.
          > > Jane 35
          > > James 6
          > > Martha 4
          > >
          > > On ancestry.com they are spelled Caster on the 1860/70.
          > >
          > > The Moneys were also from the Surry/Wilkes Counties, NC area.
          > >
          > > The question is what if any relation is Meredith Carter (Jr?) to the Money family. Is Prudence Money his grandmother or his aunt???

        • SUE LONG
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 1, 2013
            THIS IS SO AMAZING CAUSE I TO AM RELATED TO SOME CARTERS IN MARSHALL COUNTY AL. AN IN TENNESSEE TO MY GREAT GRANDPAPA WAS EDWARD CARTER IT SAID HE CAME HERE FROM ARKASANA LIVED ON A HOUSEBOAT MY GRANDPAPA 'S NAME IS HESTER MILES CARTER  THE SECOND COUSIN TO RADFORT C. CARTER IN ARAB BUT HE LIKE ALL THE OTHERS I TRY TO ASK QUESTIONS ABOUT THE FAMILY HE WILL NOT TALK ABOUT THEM . JUST LOVE IT
            IT REAL INTERESTING,