Re: [jacksongenealogy] Re: Wife of Meredith Carter?

  • blackcloud27030
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 29, 2013
      The marriage fits. Meredith Carter was b. 1809 Wilkes Co. NC, Elizabeth was b. 1809/10/11 (depending on which census you use) either in Surry or Wilkes Co. NC they adjoin, Sisks lived in both counties. He patented land in Jackson Co. Al  on 01 Aug 1839. Township 1 Range 5 Section 28 adjoining Milton Carter b. 1797 NC who maybe a unlisted brother or a cousin of Meredith. Meredith is listed as Maraday Carter. He is listed on the 1840 Jackson Co. Census. He and Elizabeth are listed on the 1850 and 1860 Jackson Co. Census. Elizabeth is last listed on the 1870 Jackson Co. Census. From the age of their oldest child on the 1850 they were married 1832/31 and since no marriage record has been found likely in Jackson Co. They never could spell his given name right in Jackson Co.  Meredith's father Barabas "Barney" Carter was born in Surry Co. before it was split and western part became Wilkes Co and is on the Wilkes Co. 1810/20/30 Census. He is listed in the
      War of 1812 Rolls in Wilkes Co. as Barney Carter. There is a Barney B. Carter age 70 listed on the 1850 Richland IL Census next to the household of James Carter age 53 both b. NC.

      Meredith Carter Jr.'s CSA tombstone says b. 10 Aug 1842 d. 26 Aug 1869 White Co. TN son of Meredith and Elizabeth (?) Carter. They are on the 1830/40/60 White Co. TN Census so are not the same as the ones in Jackson Co. Married Sarah E. (Cathcart) Hutson 19 Nov 1863.

      I don't believe the Meredith Carter in Indiana is the same as the one in Jackson Co. either.

      Hurricane Creek runs just west of Milton Carter's land. The nearest cemetery is Crawford Cem.

      Clay

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 30, 2013
        I searched with just Sisk in AL, Sisk in Jackson county AL...then Carter the same. Then any state for Eliz* Sisk exact and soundex. Then omitted the state.

        I have a similar problem with my hubby's maternal line. Oliver Patterson's death certificate says he was born in 1866, and his spouse was Letitia Blackmon.

        Oliver Patterson and Letitia Blackmon/Blackman married in 1840...hmmm...but family insisted the death certificate can't be wrong...But something just didn't fit for me...agewise...date wise...but, since a "certified" genealogist was paid and did the research I accepted it and included on my ecam82006a ancestry family file...till I spent a night looking at records...the father of Oliver was also Oliver & HE married Letitia Blackmon in 1840(ish)...I found them on a couple census'...on one I found two other Oliver's who could be the one born in 1866...and since the kids all had similar names..Golda for one...names that had to be family names...I just can't figure it out...yet.

        I let the family know at a reunion...they took the info...never have contacted me since...said they would look at old photos, etc for clues...but I'm a hobby genealogist, not a Certified/paid genealogist, so what do I know? Sheesh! I know Oliver couldn't marry 26 years before his own birth...lol.

        Oliver b 1866 did mary a Letitia...but not in 1840.
        Marge
      • quietholler.dana
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 31, 2013
          Thanks for the responses. I had hoped that someone may have unearthed documentation for this wife. I was looking at records for the Carters after I posted this question- I had forgotten how much they confuse me! Dana