Wife of Meredith Carter?

  • quietholler.dana
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 26, 2013
      Does anyone have documentation that the wife of Meredith Carter b. 1809 Wilkes, NC (son of Barney Carter & Mary Polly Jacks) was Martha Elizabeth Sisk? The family history I have does not list a last name for the wife.

      I had a "duh" moment last week: when I was last at my uncle's, sorting through old family pictures, there had been several identified as Sisks. I didn't even scan those photos because no one, including me, knew who they were. But if Meredith's wife had indeed been a Sisk, they would have been cousins and certainly known to the older people, who are, unfortunately no longer with us.

      Thanks for any help with this- Dana
    • quietholler.dana
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 26, 2013
        Does anyone have documentation that the wife of Meredith Carter b. 1809 Wilkes, NC (son of Barney Carter & Mary Polly Jacks) was Martha Elizabeth Sisk? The family history I have does not list a last name for the wife.

        I had a "duh" moment last week: when I was last at my uncle's, sorting through old family pictures, there had been several identified as Sisks. I didn't even scan those photos because no one, including me, knew who they were. But if Meredith's wife had indeed been a Sisk, they would have been cousins and certainly known to the older people, who are, unfortunately no longer with us.

        Thanks for any help with this- Dana
      • Marge
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 27, 2013
          Name: Meredith Carter

          Spouse: Nancy A Webb

          Marriage Date: 7 Aug 1854

          County: Jackson

          State: Alabama

          Source information: Hunting For Bears

          The above may/may not be same person you are wanting, or it's a 2nd marriage.

          -----------------
          In 1850 US census for Jackson county is:
          1850 United States Federal Census 1850 United States Federal Census
          Name: Meoady Carter
          [Mevady (Meredith) Carter]
          Age: 41
          Birth Year: abt 1809
          Birthplace: North Carolina
          Home in 1850: Township 3 Range 5, Jackson, Alabama
          Gender: Male
          Family Number: 712
          Household Members: Name Age
          Meoady Carter 41
          Elizabeth Carter 41
          Middleton Carter 16
          William Carter 14
          Logan Carter 13
          James Carter 12
          Manchester Carter 8
          Jane Carter 8
          John Carter 6
          Rueben Carter 5
          Benjamin Carter 3

          ** also an Alfred Carter age 24 or 26 b NC, wife Martha 18 b AL, child Elizabeth age 4/12 (4 mos)b AL. In dwelling before M? Carter.

          **In dwelling after M? Carter is Tempy Sisk, 21 or 31 b AL, and children Melvina 7 b AL, William 4 b AL.

          Source Citation: Year: 1850; Census Place: Township 3 Range 5, Jackson, Alabama; Roll: M432_7; Page: 100B; Image: 211.

          ---
          This could be your Meredith/Merideth Carter. There is also a Merideth Carter who was a JP or MG..listed on some marriage information.

          NOTE: Lots of Sisks in the pages before the above person, also more Carters...the elder ones are from NC...have you checked the 1850 census? I'm betting you have, lol.
          I always check 3 pages before and 3 pages after the one with my ancestor is on.

          Marge

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 28, 2013
            Hi Marge- That's the right family but I believe Nancy Webb married Meredith Jr.

            I also like to look at the neighbors in the census- I really liked Ancestry's old system better where everything was transcribed at the bottom of the page, though. Thanks for the reply. Dana

            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 29, 2013
              I liked the original way also...but I do like the way you add alternative information now.
              I still go back to the old search method...I don't like the new search method, too many suggestions that aren't even close.

              I did find this:
              Data Source: Indiana Marriages to 1850
              Tuesday, January 29, 2013 9:36:16 AM

              View Record Spouse 1 Spouse 2 Marriage Date Marriage Location
              View Record
              Carter, James to Sisk, Elizabeth
              Indiana
              Randolph County

              Could the above be your couple?

              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 29, 2013
                <http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/33158698/person/18404696917>
                Mary Elizabeth Sisk

                In my opinion (I may be wrong)...I don't think this marriage fits at all... at least not for the above...she couldn't be the mother of the listed children. She could be the mother of the man in this family.

                I think the following to be more in keeping with a marriage between Elizabeth and a Carter man:

                <http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/11913723/person/614177669?ssrc=>

                If you can't view the above family files...let me know & I'll try to help.
                Marge

                I think you will want to stick with the name you have. Didn't see where you mentioned a name you have...and if you want...let me know & I'll check for that marriage.

                The first record I have above shows:
                Marriage to Merideth 'Mevady' H. Carter
                1858, 2 Feb
                Age: 47
                Jackson, Alabama, United States

                Children born between 1833 & 1848 (that sounds feasible...since she was born in 1811.

                The 2nd record shows no children listed. I would believe that record more than the first...the person is not putting anything they don't have proof for.
                Marge

                --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "quietholler.dana" wrote:

                > Does anyone have documentation that the wife of Meredith Carter b. 1809 Wilkes, NC (son of Barney Carter & Mary Polly Jacks) was Martha Elizabeth Sisk? The family history I have does not list a last name for the wife.
                >
                > I had a "duh" moment last week: when I was last at my uncle's, sorting through old family pictures, there had been several identified as Sisks. I didn't even scan those photos because no one, including me, knew who they were. But if Meredith's wife had indeed been a Sisk, they would have been cousins and certainly known to the older people, who are, unfortunately no longer with us.
                >
                > Thanks for any help with this- Dana

              • blackcloud27030
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 29, 2013
                  The marriage fits. Meredith Carter was b. 1809 Wilkes Co. NC, Elizabeth was b. 1809/10/11 (depending on which census you use) either in Surry or Wilkes Co. NC they adjoin, Sisks lived in both counties. He patented land in Jackson Co. Al  on 01 Aug 1839. Township 1 Range 5 Section 28 adjoining Milton Carter b. 1797 NC who maybe a unlisted brother or a cousin of Meredith. Meredith is listed as Maraday Carter. He is listed on the 1840 Jackson Co. Census. He and Elizabeth are listed on the 1850 and 1860 Jackson Co. Census. Elizabeth is last listed on the 1870 Jackson Co. Census. From the age of their oldest child on the 1850 they were married 1832/31 and since no marriage record has been found likely in Jackson Co. They never could spell his given name right in Jackson Co.  Meredith's father Barabas "Barney" Carter was born in Surry Co. before it was split and western part became Wilkes Co and is on the Wilkes Co. 1810/20/30 Census. He is listed in the
                  War of 1812 Rolls in Wilkes Co. as Barney Carter. There is a Barney B. Carter age 70 listed on the 1850 Richland IL Census next to the household of James Carter age 53 both b. NC.

                  Meredith Carter Jr.'s CSA tombstone says b. 10 Aug 1842 d. 26 Aug 1869 White Co. TN son of Meredith and Elizabeth (?) Carter. They are on the 1830/40/60 White Co. TN Census so are not the same as the ones in Jackson Co. Married Sarah E. (Cathcart) Hutson 19 Nov 1863.

                  I don't believe the Meredith Carter in Indiana is the same as the one in Jackson Co. either.

                  Hurricane Creek runs just west of Milton Carter's land. The nearest cemetery is Crawford Cem.

                  Clay

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 30, 2013
                    I searched with just Sisk in AL, Sisk in Jackson county AL...then Carter the same. Then any state for Eliz* Sisk exact and soundex. Then omitted the state.

                    I have a similar problem with my hubby's maternal line. Oliver Patterson's death certificate says he was born in 1866, and his spouse was Letitia Blackmon.

                    Oliver Patterson and Letitia Blackmon/Blackman married in 1840...hmmm...but family insisted the death certificate can't be wrong...But something just didn't fit for me...agewise...date wise...but, since a "certified" genealogist was paid and did the research I accepted it and included on my ecam82006a ancestry family file...till I spent a night looking at records...the father of Oliver was also Oliver & HE married Letitia Blackmon in 1840(ish)...I found them on a couple census'...on one I found two other Oliver's who could be the one born in 1866...and since the kids all had similar names..Golda for one...names that had to be family names...I just can't figure it out...yet.

                    I let the family know at a reunion...they took the info...never have contacted me since...said they would look at old photos, etc for clues...but I'm a hobby genealogist, not a Certified/paid genealogist, so what do I know? Sheesh! I know Oliver couldn't marry 26 years before his own birth...lol.

                    Oliver b 1866 did mary a Letitia...but not in 1840.
                    Marge
                  • quietholler.dana
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 31, 2013
                      Thanks for the responses. I had hoped that someone may have unearthed documentation for this wife. I was looking at records for the Carters after I posted this question- I had forgotten how much they confuse me! Dana