Re: [jacksongenealogy] DNA Testing and Paternity

  • Kyle Davenport
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 29, 2012
      You don't say if the offspring was a male. If the male had a Y
      chromosome matching the father, he could not get that from his
      mother. Of course, he would also match any male related to the father
      and having the same surname.

      If you could do an autosomal DNA test on the son or daughter , whoever
      that might be, they would have an unusually high fraction of homozygous
      alleles. They would have long stretches of chromosomes where both arms
      of the chromosome ( pairs of markers) were identical. This would be
      like the test on gedmatch.com called "Are your parents related to each
      other?"

      If instead you have only grandchildren or great-grandchildren to test,
      the result would be much less definitive - but still detectable.

      Kyle