Re: [jacksongenealogy] Consumption -- 1880's

  • Jewel Casey
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 20, 2012
      Yes, Jerry I found the death register and this is what I understand. Elizabeth died August 1879.

      The register states it is for people who "Died during the year ENDING May 31, 1880".
      That means census year began June 1, 1879 and ran through May 31, 1880. That is the way the mortality record is always recorded.

      Hope this helps a little
      Jewel

      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 29, 2012
        I understand what DNA is and some of the concepts, but I know there are some folks on this list who know a lot more than me, so...

        There is a family I am researching where a teenaged girl became pregnant in the early 1900's. There is some suspicion that her father may have been the culprit.

        I know that DNA testing doesn't answer anything conclusively, only gives a probability, but if the father was, indeed the culprit, would there probably be clues in the DNA that, if one of the descendants was tested, could say it likely did or did not happen?

        Thanks in advance for whatever information you are able to share.

      • Kyle Davenport
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 29, 2012
          You don't say if the offspring was a male. If the male had a Y
          chromosome matching the father, he could not get that from his
          mother. Of course, he would also match any male related to the father
          and having the same surname.

          If you could do an autosomal DNA test on the son or daughter , whoever
          that might be, they would have an unusually high fraction of homozygous
          alleles. They would have long stretches of chromosomes where both arms
          of the chromosome ( pairs of markers) were identical. This would be
          like the test on gedmatch.com called "Are your parents related to each
          other?"

          If instead you have only grandchildren or great-grandchildren to test,
          the result would be much less definitive - but still detectable.

          Kyle