Re: [jacksongenealogy] Consumption -- 1880's

  • Jerry Triplett
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 19, 2012
      A number of you have responded to my question about possible places for care of people with consumption in Jackson in the 1880's. In particular, Jewel asked for more specifics.

      Elizabeth Thomas was born in Doran's Cove in 1827 to 1830. Her age varies in different records. She married Ellis G (or Ellis A or Ellis E A) Hill. She died in Aug 1880. I have the family in the 1850, 1860 and 1870 censuses. Ellis is living with his father, Thomas A, in 1880. I can't find Elizabeth but I know she is alive.

      Hill family researchers may have info on one or both. I think the Hill family was around Rocky Springs but I'm not sure. I found a land record (map) for Ellis G indicating that he owned land near where Town Creek runs into the TN River. Where is (was) town Creek? Did a quick look but did not find it.

      I cannot find a cem for Elizabeth or Ellis, either. Anyone know?

      Thanks for the help.

      Jerry in Chattanooga

      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 19, 2012
        Jerry & everyone
        This is why I never let the spelling of a name, nor the location of a person I am researching stop me from looking at a record.

        Jerry...if you give us her name and aprox year of birth...and where she was born, if you know that...we may be able to help locate her.

        In Calif, many with consumption were sent to State Hospitals for the insane, or to county hospital sanitariums. If the state didn't have one, they were sent to nearest one that had room.

        Marge

        --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Jerry Triplett <jrytrplt@...> wrote:

        > I have an ancestor that was born near Bridgeport about 1830. I cannot find her in the 1880 census but I'm sure she died in Aug 1880. In the 1880 Census (taken in June) her husband is shown as living, obviously, and is shown as married. Death records show her as dying from consumption (TB) in Aug 1880.
        >
        > Was there any kind of home or TB hospital in Jackson County in the 1880's? The one page of the death register where I found her indicates that a fair number were dying from TB at that time.
        >
        > Jerry in Chattanooga

      • Marge
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 19, 2012
          Most Hospitals, prisons, mental facilities are listed last for the county in which they are located. This may not be in the county the person lived in, and possibly in a different state...but regardless of the state...you will usually find these faciities at the end of the county pages on a census.
          Marge
        • Charles McCutchen
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 19, 2012
            The only thing I've found is a Ti-Counties Tuberculosis Sanatorium near the present hospital but possibly facing Willow.   That was much later possibly in the 1930s.

            ________________________________
            This is why I never let the spelling of a name, nor the location of a person I am researching stop me from looking at a record.

            Jerry...if you give us her name and aprox year of birth...and where she was born, if you know that...we may be able to help locate her.

            In Calif, many with consumption were sent to State Hospitals for the insane, or to county hospital sanitariums. If the state didn't have one, they were sent to nearest one that had room.

            Marge

            --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Jerry Triplett <jrytrplt@...> wrote:

            > I have an ancestor that was born near Bridgeport about 1830. I cannot find her in the 1880 census but I'm sure she died in Aug 1880. In the 1880 Census (taken in June) her husband is shown as living, obviously, and is shown as married. Death records show her as dying from consumption (TB) in Aug 1880.
            >
            > Was there any kind of home or TB hospital in Jackson County in the 1880's? The one page of the death register where I found her indicates that a fair number were dying from TB at that time.
            >
            > Jerry in Chattanooga

          • Jewel Casey
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 19, 2012
              Jerry, you are correct, the enumeration of that census was June 1, 1880. Meaning anyone born AFTER June 1st will NOT be on the 1880 census but if they were living on June 1st they should be on the 1880 census. Now I just looked at that census and yes Ellis is marked as married, but Amanda Hill who lives right above Thomas A. and Nancy Hill, parents of Ellis, is also listed as married and her husband is not at home either. And Caldeen, 6 year old son of Ellis was listed as son of 70 year old Thomas A. and Nancy Hill. So the census taker was rather careless don't you think? Where did you find the death of Elizabeth Hill?

              Jewel

              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 20, 2012
                There is a Federal Death Register that shows her death as Aug 1880. There are several (a few ?) on that single page that also died from TB. The register is on Ancestry if you have access.

                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 20, 2012
                  Yes, Jerry I found the death register and this is what I understand. Elizabeth died August 1879.

                  The register states it is for people who "Died during the year ENDING May 31, 1880".
                  That means census year began June 1, 1879 and ran through May 31, 1880. That is the way the mortality record is always recorded.

                  Hope this helps a little
                  Jewel

                  There is a Federal Death Register that shows her death as Aug 1880. There are several (a few ?) on that single page that also died from TB. The register is on Ancestry if you have access.

                  Jerry, you are correct, the enumeration of that census was June 1, 1880. Meaning anyone born AFTER June 1st will NOT be on the 1880 census but if they were living on June 1st they should be on the 1880 census. Now I just looked at that census and yes Ellis is marked as married, but Amanda Hill who lives right above Thomas A. and Nancy Hill, parents of Ellis, is also listed as married and her husband is not at home either. And Caldeen, 6 year old son of Ellis was listed as son of 70 year old Thomas A. and Nancy Hill. So the census taker was rather careless don't you think? Where did you find the death of Elizabeth Hill?

                  Jewel

                  Hey, we can't look for you or find anyone without their names and info on them.

                  Jewel
                  Jerry,my great grandfather licved in B,port and had
                  TB but he was in Atlanta in a sanitorium or whatever you call it.
                  Larry Williams

                  On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 3:56 PM, Jerry Triplett <jrytrplt@...> wrote:

                  > **
                  >

                  > I have an ancestor that was born near Bridgeport about 1830. I cannot find
                  > her in the 1880 census but I'm sure she died in Aug 1880. In the 1880
                  > Census (taken in June) her husband is shown as living, obviously, and is
                  > shown as married. Death records show her as dying from consumption (TB) in
                  > Aug 1880.
                  >
                  > Was there any kind of home or TB hospital in Jackson County in the 1880's?
                  > The one page of the death register where I found her indicates that a fair
                  > number were dying from TB at that time.
                  >
                  > Jerry in Chattanooga

                  Larry G. Williams
                  Co-Director, Agrimissions
                  43 Crisp Lane
                  Trenton, GA 30752
                  (423) 240-2089 Cell/Business
                  agrimissions.williams@...
                  lgwilliams1947@...
                  http://agrimissions.com
                  http://themissionsociety.org

                • Karl Plenge
                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 29, 2012
                    I understand what DNA is and some of the concepts, but I know there are some folks on this list who know a lot more than me, so...

                    There is a family I am researching where a teenaged girl became pregnant in the early 1900's. There is some suspicion that her father may have been the culprit.

                    I know that DNA testing doesn't answer anything conclusively, only gives a probability, but if the father was, indeed the culprit, would there probably be clues in the DNA that, if one of the descendants was tested, could say it likely did or did not happen?

                    Thanks in advance for whatever information you are able to share.

                  • Kyle Davenport
                    Message 9 of 18 , Dec 29, 2012
                      You don't say if the offspring was a male. If the male had a Y
                      chromosome matching the father, he could not get that from his
                      mother. Of course, he would also match any male related to the father
                      and having the same surname.

                      If you could do an autosomal DNA test on the son or daughter , whoever
                      that might be, they would have an unusually high fraction of homozygous
                      alleles. They would have long stretches of chromosomes where both arms
                      of the chromosome ( pairs of markers) were identical. This would be
                      like the test on gedmatch.com called "Are your parents related to each
                      other?"

                      If instead you have only grandchildren or great-grandchildren to test,
                      the result would be much less definitive - but still detectable.

                      Kyle