Consumption -- 1880's

  • Jerry Triplett
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 18, 2012
      I have an ancestor that was born near Bridgeport about 1830. I cannot find her in the 1880 census but I'm sure she died in Aug 1880. In the 1880 Census (taken in June) her husband is shown as living, obviously, and is shown as married. Death records show her as dying from consumption (TB) in Aug 1880.

      Was there any kind of home or TB hospital in Jackson County in the 1880's? The one page of the death register where I found her indicates that a fair number were dying from TB at that time.

      Jerry in Chattanooga

    • Charles McCutchen
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 18, 2012
        I had a relative who died of consumption in 1899.  He was taken to Section,AL and then New Mexico.  I would assume there was a home for people with TB at Section but I doubt it would be anything like a hospital.  I know they tried to change climates to fight it and probably the only places to do that in that area were at higher altitudes.

        ________________________________
        I have an ancestor that was born near Bridgeport about 1830. I cannot find her in the 1880 census but I'm sure she died in Aug 1880. In the 1880 Census (taken in June) her husband is shown as living, obviously, and is shown as married. Death records show her as dying from consumption (TB) in Aug 1880.

        Was there any kind of home or TB hospital in Jackson County in the 1880's? The one page of the death register where I found her indicates that a fair number were dying from TB at that time.

        Jerry in Chattanooga

      • Larry Williams
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 18, 2012
          Jerry,my great grandfather licved in B,port and had
          TB but he was in Atlanta in a sanitorium or whatever you call it.
          Larry Williams

          On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 3:56 PM, Jerry Triplett <jrytrplt@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > I have an ancestor that was born near Bridgeport about 1830. I cannot find
          > her in the 1880 census but I'm sure she died in Aug 1880. In the 1880
          > Census (taken in June) her husband is shown as living, obviously, and is
          > shown as married. Death records show her as dying from consumption (TB) in
          > Aug 1880.
          >
          > Was there any kind of home or TB hospital in Jackson County in the 1880's?
          > The one page of the death register where I found her indicates that a fair
          > number were dying from TB at that time.
          >
          > Jerry in Chattanooga

          Larry G. Williams
          Co-Director, Agrimissions
          43 Crisp Lane
          Trenton, GA 30752
          (423) 240-2089 Cell/Business
          agrimissions.williams@...
          lgwilliams1947@...
          http://agrimissions.com
          http://themissionsociety.org

        • Jewel Casey
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 18, 2012
            Hey, we can't look for you or find anyone without their names and info on them.

            Jewel
            Jerry,my great grandfather licved in B,port and had
            TB but he was in Atlanta in a sanitorium or whatever you call it.
            Larry Williams

            On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 3:56 PM, Jerry Triplett <jrytrplt@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > I have an ancestor that was born near Bridgeport about 1830. I cannot find
            > her in the 1880 census but I'm sure she died in Aug 1880. In the 1880
            > Census (taken in June) her husband is shown as living, obviously, and is
            > shown as married. Death records show her as dying from consumption (TB) in
            > Aug 1880.
            >
            > Was there any kind of home or TB hospital in Jackson County in the 1880's?
            > The one page of the death register where I found her indicates that a fair
            > number were dying from TB at that time.
            >
            > Jerry in Chattanooga

            Larry G. Williams
            Co-Director, Agrimissions
            43 Crisp Lane
            Trenton, GA 30752
            (423) 240-2089 Cell/Business
            agrimissions.williams@...
            lgwilliams1947@...
            http://agrimissions.com
            http://themissionsociety.org

          • Ann B. Chambless
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 18, 2012
              As far as I know there was no TB sanitorium in Jackson County until the
              early 1930s. Tuberculosis was common in many families, mine included.
              The only early treatment I know about was the patient being taken to a
              warm, dry climate for several months, IF the family could afford to do so.
              Ann B. Chambless

            • Pat Foster
              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 18, 2012
                The 1880 census might would show residents of a hospital, etc., if you can find it---might be in a neighboring county?

                Especially since Jerry Triplett’s family member died in August, 1880. Most census were taken before that late in the year.

                Pat Foster

                In Oklahoma

[...]

              • JLH
                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 19, 2012
                  Mr. Triplett

                  My grandmother Allie Watson Hamilton also had TB and went to a TB hospital
                  she was from Section. This was later she recovered and was with us till 1966
                  and she was in her eighties at that time. I would like to know also about
                  that hospital. I bet I know who knows Ann Chambliss.

                  John Hamilton

                  _____

                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 19, 2012
                    Good Morning Jerry,

                    I have no idea what treatments were available in the 1880's. There was a sanitarium for TB patients in Chattanooga, Tennessee called Pine Breeze at one time but I think this was much later.

                    As you probably know the doctors did not seem to know how to treat TB in the early years. We had a neighbor once while living in Kentucky, who slept on a screened in porch even in the  cold of winter time as part of his treatment for TB. This was in 1952!

                    Louise Howard

                    ________________________________
                    I have an ancestor that was born near Bridgeport about 1830. I cannot find her in the 1880 census but I'm sure she died in Aug 1880. In the 1880 Census (taken in June) her husband is shown as living, obviously, and is shown as married. Death records show her as dying from consumption (TB) in Aug 1880.

                    Was there any kind of home or TB hospital in Jackson County in the 1880's? The one page of the death register where I found her indicates that a fair number were dying from TB at that time.

                    Jerry in Chattanooga

                  • Joy Smith
                    Message 9 of 18 , Dec 19, 2012
                      The only sanitorium nearby that I can think of is the one at Wildwood, Ga. However, I don't know what date it began operations.
                      Joy

                      Message 10 of 18 , Dec 19, 2012
                        A number of you have responded to my question about possible places for care of people with consumption in Jackson in the 1880's. In particular, Jewel asked for more specifics.

                        Elizabeth Thomas was born in Doran's Cove in 1827 to 1830. Her age varies in different records. She married Ellis G (or Ellis A or Ellis E A) Hill. She died in Aug 1880. I have the family in the 1850, 1860 and 1870 censuses. Ellis is living with his father, Thomas A, in 1880. I can't find Elizabeth but I know she is alive.

                        Hill family researchers may have info on one or both. I think the Hill family was around Rocky Springs but I'm not sure. I found a land record (map) for Ellis G indicating that he owned land near where Town Creek runs into the TN River. Where is (was) town Creek? Did a quick look but did not find it.

                        I cannot find a cem for Elizabeth or Ellis, either. Anyone know?

                        Thanks for the help.

                        Jerry in Chattanooga

                        Hey, we can't look for you or find anyone without their names and info on them.

                        Jewel
                        Jerry,my great grandfather licved in B,port and had
                        TB but he was in Atlanta in a sanitorium or whatever you call it.
                        Larry Williams

                        On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 3:56 PM, Jerry Triplett <jrytrplt@...> wrote:

                        > **
                        >

                        > I have an ancestor that was born near Bridgeport about 1830. I cannot find
                        > her in the 1880 census but I'm sure she died in Aug 1880. In the 1880
                        > Census (taken in June) her husband is shown as living, obviously, and is
                        > shown as married. Death records show her as dying from consumption (TB) in
                        > Aug 1880.
                        >
                        > Was there any kind of home or TB hospital in Jackson County in the 1880's?
                        > The one page of the death register where I found her indicates that a fair
                        > number were dying from TB at that time.
                        >
                        > Jerry in Chattanooga

                        Larry G. Williams
                        Co-Director, Agrimissions
                        43 Crisp Lane
                        Trenton, GA 30752
                        (423) 240-2089 Cell/Business
                        agrimissions.williams@...
                        lgwilliams1947@...
                        http://agrimissions.com
                        http://themissionsociety.org

                      • Marge
                        Message 11 of 18 , Dec 19, 2012
                          Jerry & everyone
                          This is why I never let the spelling of a name, nor the location of a person I am researching stop me from looking at a record.

                          Jerry...if you give us her name and aprox year of birth...and where she was born, if you know that...we may be able to help locate her.

                          In Calif, many with consumption were sent to State Hospitals for the insane, or to county hospital sanitariums. If the state didn't have one, they were sent to nearest one that had room.

                          Marge

                          --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Jerry Triplett <jrytrplt@...> wrote:

                          > I have an ancestor that was born near Bridgeport about 1830. I cannot find her in the 1880 census but I'm sure she died in Aug 1880. In the 1880 Census (taken in June) her husband is shown as living, obviously, and is shown as married. Death records show her as dying from consumption (TB) in Aug 1880.
                          >
                          > Was there any kind of home or TB hospital in Jackson County in the 1880's? The one page of the death register where I found her indicates that a fair number were dying from TB at that time.
                          >
                          > Jerry in Chattanooga

                        • Marge
                          Message 12 of 18 , Dec 19, 2012
                            Most Hospitals, prisons, mental facilities are listed last for the county in which they are located. This may not be in the county the person lived in, and possibly in a different state...but regardless of the state...you will usually find these faciities at the end of the county pages on a census.
                            Marge
                          • Charles McCutchen
                            Message 13 of 18 , Dec 19, 2012
                              The only thing I've found is a Ti-Counties Tuberculosis Sanatorium near the present hospital but possibly facing Willow.   That was much later possibly in the 1930s.

                              ________________________________
                              This is why I never let the spelling of a name, nor the location of a person I am researching stop me from looking at a record.

                              Jerry...if you give us her name and aprox year of birth...and where she was born, if you know that...we may be able to help locate her.

                              In Calif, many with consumption were sent to State Hospitals for the insane, or to county hospital sanitariums. If the state didn't have one, they were sent to nearest one that had room.

                              Marge

                              --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Jerry Triplett <jrytrplt@...> wrote:

                              > I have an ancestor that was born near Bridgeport about 1830. I cannot find her in the 1880 census but I'm sure she died in Aug 1880. In the 1880 Census (taken in June) her husband is shown as living, obviously, and is shown as married. Death records show her as dying from consumption (TB) in Aug 1880.
                              >
                              > Was there any kind of home or TB hospital in Jackson County in the 1880's? The one page of the death register where I found her indicates that a fair number were dying from TB at that time.
                              >
                              > Jerry in Chattanooga

                            • Jewel Casey
                              Message 14 of 18 , Dec 19, 2012
                                Jerry, you are correct, the enumeration of that census was June 1, 1880. Meaning anyone born AFTER June 1st will NOT be on the 1880 census but if they were living on June 1st they should be on the 1880 census. Now I just looked at that census and yes Ellis is marked as married, but Amanda Hill who lives right above Thomas A. and Nancy Hill, parents of Ellis, is also listed as married and her husband is not at home either. And Caldeen, 6 year old son of Ellis was listed as son of 70 year old Thomas A. and Nancy Hill. So the census taker was rather careless don't you think? Where did you find the death of Elizabeth Hill?

                                Jewel

                                Message 15 of 18 , Dec 20, 2012
                                  There is a Federal Death Register that shows her death as Aug 1880. There are several (a few ?) on that single page that also died from TB. The register is on Ancestry if you have access.

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Dec 20, 2012
                                    Yes, Jerry I found the death register and this is what I understand. Elizabeth died August 1879.

                                    The register states it is for people who "Died during the year ENDING May 31, 1880".
                                    That means census year began June 1, 1879 and ran through May 31, 1880. That is the way the mortality record is always recorded.

                                    Hope this helps a little
                                    Jewel

                                    There is a Federal Death Register that shows her death as Aug 1880. There are several (a few ?) on that single page that also died from TB. The register is on Ancestry if you have access.

                                    Jerry, you are correct, the enumeration of that census was June 1, 1880. Meaning anyone born AFTER June 1st will NOT be on the 1880 census but if they were living on June 1st they should be on the 1880 census. Now I just looked at that census and yes Ellis is marked as married, but Amanda Hill who lives right above Thomas A. and Nancy Hill, parents of Ellis, is also listed as married and her husband is not at home either. And Caldeen, 6 year old son of Ellis was listed as son of 70 year old Thomas A. and Nancy Hill. So the census taker was rather careless don't you think? Where did you find the death of Elizabeth Hill?

                                    Jewel

                                    Hey, we can't look for you or find anyone without their names and info on them.

                                    Jewel
                                    Jerry,my great grandfather licved in B,port and had
                                    TB but he was in Atlanta in a sanitorium or whatever you call it.
                                    Larry Williams

                                    On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 3:56 PM, Jerry Triplett <jrytrplt@...> wrote:

                                    > **
                                    >

                                    > I have an ancestor that was born near Bridgeport about 1830. I cannot find
                                    > her in the 1880 census but I'm sure she died in Aug 1880. In the 1880
                                    > Census (taken in June) her husband is shown as living, obviously, and is
                                    > shown as married. Death records show her as dying from consumption (TB) in
                                    > Aug 1880.
                                    >
                                    > Was there any kind of home or TB hospital in Jackson County in the 1880's?
                                    > The one page of the death register where I found her indicates that a fair
                                    > number were dying from TB at that time.
                                    >
                                    > Jerry in Chattanooga

                                    Larry G. Williams
                                    Co-Director, Agrimissions
                                    43 Crisp Lane
                                    Trenton, GA 30752
                                    (423) 240-2089 Cell/Business
                                    agrimissions.williams@...
                                    lgwilliams1947@...
                                    http://agrimissions.com
                                    http://themissionsociety.org

                                  • Karl Plenge
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Dec 29, 2012
                                      I understand what DNA is and some of the concepts, but I know there are some folks on this list who know a lot more than me, so...

                                      There is a family I am researching where a teenaged girl became pregnant in the early 1900's. There is some suspicion that her father may have been the culprit.

                                      I know that DNA testing doesn't answer anything conclusively, only gives a probability, but if the father was, indeed the culprit, would there probably be clues in the DNA that, if one of the descendants was tested, could say it likely did or did not happen?

                                      Thanks in advance for whatever information you are able to share.

                                    • Kyle Davenport
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Dec 29, 2012
                                        You don't say if the offspring was a male. If the male had a Y
                                        chromosome matching the father, he could not get that from his
                                        mother. Of course, he would also match any male related to the father
                                        and having the same surname.

                                        If you could do an autosomal DNA test on the son or daughter , whoever
                                        that might be, they would have an unusually high fraction of homozygous
                                        alleles. They would have long stretches of chromosomes where both arms
                                        of the chromosome ( pairs of markers) were identical. This would be
                                        like the test on gedmatch.com called "Are your parents related to each
                                        other?"

                                        If instead you have only grandchildren or great-grandchildren to test,
                                        the result would be much less definitive - but still detectable.

                                        Kyle