Welch/Welsh

  • joelmaroney@att.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 18, 2012
      I saw a refrence here to a Cherokee woman with the Welch family name. Welch was a highly placed Cherokee family in the mid to late 1800's because of Lloyd Welch, a Principal Chief of the Eastern Band of Cherokee during the post civil war period. My GGGG uncle Bailey B. Maroney was married to Chief Welch's sister Martha Ann Welch. She is listed as #1414 on the Hester Roll of 1883. I don't have much info on what percentage European/Cherokee Lloyd was but I believe that he was half or less Cherokee.
      Welch and Bailey B. Maroney served in Thomases legion, a North Carolina Confederate unit made up from Cherokee and allied white families.
      1851 Siler Roll shows:
      John Welch age 61
      Elizabeth Welch 50
      Jonathan Welch 25
      John C. Welch 23
      Richard D. Welch 19
      Martha Ann Welch 17
      Rebecca Welch 16
      Lloyd M Welch 14
      Stacy Welch 12
      The same list of people appears on the 1852 Chapman Roll as #'s 1279 through 1287.
      If you can make a connection to the Welch family or have more information please let me know.
    • Jerry Triplett
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 18, 2012
        I did a bit of poking around and found two or three things. One, the GA Trail of Tears Assoc has put a link on the web to Emmet Starr's History of the Cherokee published in 1921. I usually associate Starr with the OK Cherokees and was looking for Welch genealogy but found this history. Apparently it is "free" to download.

        http://trailofthetrail.blogspot.com/2009/10/emmet-starr-history-of-cherokee-indians.html#!/2009/10/emmet-starr-history-of-cherokee-indians.html

        Two, I found a reference to John B Welch that was born in 1783 and died in 1851. He lived and died in the valleys towns in western NC. He is buried in the Parker Cem in Marble, NC. What I read indicated that he was half Cherokee and half French. The French part is a little hard to buy but apparently he was the second generation of a Cherokee mixed breed family.

        The other thing I'll mention is a book titled William Holland Thomas - Confederate Colonel and Cherokee Chief. This is a very readable book about Little Will, the man fairly responsible for the Cherokees remaining in Western NC. Will was a white that became principal chief following the death of Junaluska (Yuna Guska). Fascinating reading.

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 18, 2012
          Thanks Jerry. The John Welch(father of Lloyd)on the 1851 Siler role would have been born ca 1790. I wonder if there were multiple Welch lines or a math problem with Siler? Another loose strand to chase.