Re: [jacksongenealogy] Re: Ancestry. com DNA Autosomal Test

  • blackcloud27030@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 16, 2012
      David

      Not just the islands north of Scotland but parts of Scotland itself, the east coast especially down into England as well as some spots on the west coast.  Dublin Ireland was founded by the Vikings and the east coast of Ireland were invaded and settled by the Vikings. These were Danes, Norse and Swedes. And the Normans got their name from Norsemen.

      I think my 6% unknow is probably Indian through my 3rd maternal greatgrandmother Sarah (Bailey) Wills. And you do descend from Thomas J. Gullatt's first wife Martha Elizabeth Clark who was half Indian. Her mother Jemima (Welch/Welsh) Clark was full blood Cherokee. That makes Peter H. Gullatt one quarter Indian and his daugher Laura Elizabeth one eight. Some of Jemima's grandchildren or greatgrandchildren (descendants of James M. who married Martha Elizabeth's sister Jerusha Juliett Clark) put in for the Indian Rolls in Oklahoma but were denied. I descend from James M.'s 2nd wife Malissa P. Harper. We may also get some Indian blood through Manerva Catharine Yancy Mitchell, Thomas J. and James M.'s mother.

      Family legend passed  on to me by Clark descendants says that a Cherokee man and woman came to were the Clarks lived in Jefferson County TN in the early 1800s with a young girl the woman's daughter and they lived with the Clarks for a while. The man and woman later left, leaving the young girl with the Clark family to raise. Isaac Clark married her in Jefferson County TN 02 Apr 1812 when she was 15 or 16 years old and he was 27. According to the Census Jemima was born in either NC or TN in 1796/97 depending on which census you use. Isaac Clark was a gunsmith and blacksmith. He had to leave Jefferson Co. around 1816/17 or so it is said because he sold gunpowder to the Indians. They moved to the Cherokee Nation now Jackson Co. AL and settled in that area called Bellefonte Landing on the Tennessee River were he own 300+ acres of land and had a blacksmith shop in old Bellefonte. I think that Jemima Welch/Welsh was given that name for the marriage record.
      Somewhere or the other in the mess I call my GenRecords is her Cherokee name. There is a photo of my half greataunt Juliet (Gullatt) Coulson attached to the family tree and she certainly looks Indian as does a photo of her greatgranddaughter I have. Those photos are also on the Gullatt Message Board at rootsweb.com.

      I thought others might find the family legend interesting.

      Clay