Re: Ancestry. com DNA Autosomal Test

  • hossidy
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 15, 2012
      Clay- What's your opinion of AncestryDNA now that you've got some experience with it? After only a few weeks it's definitely been helpful to me, but still a little short of what I expected. Adding capability for surname projects and searches would be a big improvement. It's still early, and their database seems to be growing fast, but some of my fairly common names- like Rook, Carlock, McShane and Selby- don't ever appear.
      Thanks for the help with MC Robertson. That mystery may go unsolved for a while. David Selvey

      --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, blackcloud27030@... wrote:

      > The new ancestry.com DNA test instead of looking at just your Y-chromosone or mitchromal DNA looks at all 23 pairs of your DNA. As opposed to looking at just the Y-DNA or MtDNA. For example the Y-DNA looks at about 40 locations whereas AncestryDNA comprehensively looks at th entire genome at over 700,000 locations all with a simple salvia test. (they send you a tube you spit in with instructions and mail back.
      >
      > This test is for both men and women.
      >
      > It is in the Beta Testing Period now. Price for that was $99.00 for ancestry.com subscribers people are being put on a waiting list according to the website.  If you were lucky enough to get into the original testing period it was $10.00.  You can order the test at dna.ancestry.com make sure you click on dna.ancestry.com as there are other dna tests.
      >
      > Whether the new dna test lives up to all that it promises is another matter. Mine is in the lab now and I should be able to tell you in a few weeks as to whether or not it lives up to its promise. Anyway it beats $500 others wanted for a complete test. It is suppose to be able to link you to your cousins. And it can be used with your family tree on ancestry to link you with kinfolks.
      >
      > I just hope it lives up to all the hoopla.
      >
      > Clay

    • Larry Williams
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 15, 2012
        I have used ancestry.com for many years and there are both strong and weak
        points with it. One strong point is easy and quick access to census
        records, others who have posted your family records and other documents.
        However, if you hit a dead end or a difficult line you still have to travel
        to individual court houses to find more information. The cruuent DNA
        testing I am doing right now. They have aplace to make suggestions so any
        you might have are used to plan future version of FTM.
        Larry Williams

        On Sat, Sep 15, 2012 at 7:50 AM, hossidy <moomesa@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Clay- What's your opinion of AncestryDNA now that you've got some
        > experience with it? After only a few weeks it's definitely been helpful to
        > me, but still a little short of what I expected. Adding capability for
        > surname projects and searches would be a big improvement. It's still early,
        > and their database seems to be growing fast, but some of my fairly common
        > names- like Rook, Carlock, McShane and Selby- don't ever appear.
        > Thanks for the help with MC Robertson. That mystery may go unsolved for a
        > while. David Selvey
        >

        > --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, blackcloud27030@... wrote:
        > >
        > > The new ancestry.com DNA test instead of looking at just your
        > Y-chromosone or mitchromal DNA looks at all 23 pairs of your DNA. As
        > opposed to looking at just the Y-DNA or MtDNA. For example the Y-DNA looks
        > at about 40 locations whereas AncestryDNA comprehensively looks at th
        > entire genome at over 700,000 locations all with a simple salvia test.
        > (they send you a tube you spit in with instructions and mail back.
        > >
        > > This test is for both men and women.
        > >
        > > It is in the Beta Testing Period now. Price for that was $99.00 for
        > ancestry.com subscribers people are being put on a waiting list according
        > to the website. If you were lucky enough to get into the original testing
        > period it was $10.00. You can order the test at dna.ancestry.com make
        > sure you click on dna.ancestry.com as there are other dna tests.
        > >
        > > Whether the new dna test lives up to all that it promises is another
        > matter. Mine is in the lab now and I should be able to tell you in a few
        > weeks as to whether or not it lives up to its promise. Anyway it beats $500
        > others wanted for a complete test. It is suppose to be able to link you to
        > your cousins. And it can be used with your family tree on ancestry to link
        > you with kinfolks.
        > >
        > > I just hope it lives up to all the hoopla.
        > >
        > > Clay

        Larry G. Williams
        Co-Director, Agrimissions
        43 Crisp Lane
        Trenton, GA 30752
        (423) 240-2089 Cell/Business
        agrimissions.williams@...
        lgwilliams1947@...
        http://agrimissions.com
        http://themissionsociety.org

      • blackcloud27030@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 15, 2012
          David

          Truthfully not all that much. I have found a few 4th or 5th cousins in my maternal grandmother's family Carrell.  Mostly I think from the way it was spelled Carrell. And one on my maternal grandfather's side.

          Then there is your DNA which is 100% Britsh Isles against mine 43% Scandinavian 32% Britsh Isle 19% Southern European 6% Unknown. Of course it all depends on where in the British Isles your family is from to determined whether it is from Scandinavania or not since they had all the Viking invasions plus the Normans from France were Vikings (where the Gullett/Gullatts where from). Then we have the names Womack, Gullatt and Robertson on our family trees and we descend from twins James M. and Thomas J. Gullatt.

          Some of the DNA matches are private so you can't see their family tree and they wont' invite you to see their tree. Why they even bother is beyond me.

          I will probably improve as they get more people in the program.

          Clay

          ________________________________

          --- In mailto:jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.com, blackcloud27030@... wrote:

          > The new ancestry.com DNA test instead of looking at just your Y-chromosone or mitchromal DNA looks at all 23 pairs of your DNA. As opposed to looking at just the Y-DNA or MtDNA. For example the Y-DNA looks at about 40 locations whereas AncestryDNA comprehensively looks at th entire genome at over 700,000 locations all with a simple salvia test. (they send you a tube you spit in with instructions and mail back.
          >
          > This test is for both men and women.
          >
          > It is in the Beta Testing Period now. Price for that was $99.00 for ancestry.com subscribers people are being put on a waiting list according to the website.  If you were lucky enough to get into the original testing period it was $10.00.  You can order the test at dna.ancestry.com make sure you click on dna.ancestry.com as there are other dna tests.
          >
          > Whether the new dna test lives up to all that it promises is another matter. Mine is in the lab now and I should be able to tell you in a few weeks as to whether or not it lives up to its promise. Anyway it beats $500 others wanted for a complete test. It is suppose to be able to link you to your cousins. And it can be used with your family tree on ancestry to link you with kinfolks.
          >
          > I just hope it lives up to all the hoopla.
          >
          > Clay

        • hossidy
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 16, 2012
            I have 2 other known 4th cousins who have done DNA testing, one is 66% British Isles, the other is 16% British Isles and 78% Scandiavian. Aside from Gullatt and my GG grandfather Sever born Norway in my line, I can't argue with the AncestryDNA results. Some of the islands just north of Scotland seem to have a big population descended from Norway. I did expect to see a small percentage of Native American in my test. My mother, her mother, and Fred R Womack (I think) all had black hair. Fred was the only great grandparent I ever met. He was born in E TN at a time when there was probably a number of Indians in the area. An aunt, Martha Davis, told me several years ago that she attended his funeral and that there were several Indians in attendance, but that's all I've had to go by. David Selvey

          • blackcloud27030@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 16, 2012
              David

              Not just the islands north of Scotland but parts of Scotland itself, the east coast especially down into England as well as some spots on the west coast.  Dublin Ireland was founded by the Vikings and the east coast of Ireland were invaded and settled by the Vikings. These were Danes, Norse and Swedes. And the Normans got their name from Norsemen.

              I think my 6% unknow is probably Indian through my 3rd maternal greatgrandmother Sarah (Bailey) Wills. And you do descend from Thomas J. Gullatt's first wife Martha Elizabeth Clark who was half Indian. Her mother Jemima (Welch/Welsh) Clark was full blood Cherokee. That makes Peter H. Gullatt one quarter Indian and his daugher Laura Elizabeth one eight. Some of Jemima's grandchildren or greatgrandchildren (descendants of James M. who married Martha Elizabeth's sister Jerusha Juliett Clark) put in for the Indian Rolls in Oklahoma but were denied. I descend from James M.'s 2nd wife Malissa P. Harper. We may also get some Indian blood through Manerva Catharine Yancy Mitchell, Thomas J. and James M.'s mother.

              Family legend passed  on to me by Clark descendants says that a Cherokee man and woman came to were the Clarks lived in Jefferson County TN in the early 1800s with a young girl the woman's daughter and they lived with the Clarks for a while. The man and woman later left, leaving the young girl with the Clark family to raise. Isaac Clark married her in Jefferson County TN 02 Apr 1812 when she was 15 or 16 years old and he was 27. According to the Census Jemima was born in either NC or TN in 1796/97 depending on which census you use. Isaac Clark was a gunsmith and blacksmith. He had to leave Jefferson Co. around 1816/17 or so it is said because he sold gunpowder to the Indians. They moved to the Cherokee Nation now Jackson Co. AL and settled in that area called Bellefonte Landing on the Tennessee River were he own 300+ acres of land and had a blacksmith shop in old Bellefonte. I think that Jemima Welch/Welsh was given that name for the marriage record.
              Somewhere or the other in the mess I call my GenRecords is her Cherokee name. There is a photo of my half greataunt Juliet (Gullatt) Coulson attached to the family tree and she certainly looks Indian as does a photo of her greatgranddaughter I have. Those photos are also on the Gullatt Message Board at rootsweb.com.

              I thought others might find the family legend interesting.

              Clay