Re: [jacksongenealogy] Re: NAMING OF ROSALIE IN JACKSON COUNTY, ALABAMA

  • Larry Williams
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 14, 2012
      One of the early residents of Rosalie, David R. Garren was born near what
      is now know as Rosalie. He was the son of Richard Wheeler and Elizabeth
      Garre who came to Alabama in 1852 from Gilmer County, GA. David married
      Amanda (Shrader) Garren and along with Patrick Colvard they are frequently
      attributed as being "founders" of the Roaslie Community. While Mr. Garren
      applied to have a Post Office opened in Rosalie, he was requested to
      provide a name for the community. Legend indicates that since he had
      recently communicated with a relative in Rosalie, TX, he provided the name
      "Rosalie" for the community to be served by the new Post Office. He served
      as the first postmaster of Rosalie.
      Another story regarding the naming of the community relates that a baby
      recently born in the community was named "Rosalie" and that was where
      Garren came up with the name.

      --
      Larry G. Williams
      Co-Director, Agrimissions