Re: NAMING OF ROSALIE IN JACKSON COUNTY, ALABAMA

  • Janet Wright
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 14, 2012
      I don't know how Rosalie got its name, but I know of of a case in Missouri. When they set up a post office and named a postmaster, he got to name the office. He named it after his daughter Maud, so that became the name of the village. Maybe that happened elsewhere.
    • Larry Williams
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 14, 2012
        One of the early residents of Rosalie, David R. Garren was born near what
        is now know as Rosalie. He was the son of Richard Wheeler and Elizabeth
        Garre who came to Alabama in 1852 from Gilmer County, GA. David married
        Amanda (Shrader) Garren and along with Patrick Colvard they are frequently
        attributed as being "founders" of the Roaslie Community. While Mr. Garren
        applied to have a Post Office opened in Rosalie, he was requested to
        provide a name for the community. Legend indicates that since he had
        recently communicated with a relative in Rosalie, TX, he provided the name
        "Rosalie" for the community to be served by the new Post Office. He served
        as the first postmaster of Rosalie.
        Another story regarding the naming of the community relates that a baby
        recently born in the community was named "Rosalie" and that was where
        Garren came up with the name.

        --
        Larry G. Williams
        Co-Director, Agrimissions