NAMING OF ROSALIE IN JACKSON COUNTY, ALABAMA

  • Ann B. Chambless
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 13, 2012
      Does anyone know how/why Rosalie on Sand Mountain in Jackson County
      acquired that name?
      Ann B. Chambless

    • Janet Wright
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 14, 2012
        I don't know how Rosalie got its name, but I know of of a case in Missouri. When they set up a post office and named a postmaster, he got to name the office. He named it after his daughter Maud, so that became the name of the village. Maybe that happened elsewhere.
      • Larry Williams
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 14, 2012
          One of the early residents of Rosalie, David R. Garren was born near what
          is now know as Rosalie. He was the son of Richard Wheeler and Elizabeth
          Garre who came to Alabama in 1852 from Gilmer County, GA. David married
          Amanda (Shrader) Garren and along with Patrick Colvard they are frequently
          attributed as being "founders" of the Roaslie Community. While Mr. Garren
          applied to have a Post Office opened in Rosalie, he was requested to
          provide a name for the community. Legend indicates that since he had
          recently communicated with a relative in Rosalie, TX, he provided the name
          "Rosalie" for the community to be served by the new Post Office. He served
          as the first postmaster of Rosalie.
          Another story regarding the naming of the community relates that a baby
          recently born in the community was named "Rosalie" and that was where
          Garren came up with the name.

          --
          Larry G. Williams
          Co-Director, Agrimissions