Elisha Bryant / James Hunter

  • Charles McCutchen
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 4, 2012
      Thought I would add my Bryants.  The family may have come out of Lincoln County, Tn.

      1850 Federal Census
      Township 4 Range 6, Jackson, Alabama
      Elisha Bryant      34 (TN)
      Nancy Bryant     26
      Caroline Bryant 12
      Eliza Bryant     10
      John H Bryant     8
      Mary E Bryant     7
      Parthena Bryant 4
      James Cora     16

      1860 Federal Census
      Bellefonte, Jackson, Alabama
      Elisha Brayant age   46 b. TN
      Nancy Brayant        42 b.  AL
      Eliza Jane Brayant   20 b. AL
      John H. Brayant      17 b. AL
      Parthena Brayant     14 b. AL
      Alva F. (m) Brayant   7 b. AL
      Martha Taylor        11 b. AL
      Edwin Wallace        29 b. TN occupation - lawyer

      1870 Federal Census
      Township 3 Range 1 Subdivision 53, Madison, Alabama
      John Bryant      28 (AL)
      Nancy Bryant     33 (AL)
      Alva Bryant     18
      Eliza Hunter     30 (AL)
      Ida Hunter     2
      Jenny Hunter     1

      1880 Federal Census
      Scottsboro, Jackson, Alabama
      Eliza Hunter      32 (AL,AL,AL)
      Idah Hunter     11
      Johnie Hunter     8
      Wm. Hunter     5

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 5, 2012
        Thanks for this. I noticed someone mistakenly has Mary E Bryant listed on Ancestry.com as marrying James Marion "Bud" Reeves of Bryant AL. It's very easy to make this type mistake as there were so many people with similar names and ages in close proximity. JMReeves wife was Mary Jane Bryant.

        Again, thanks for your census info.

        T'Lene

      • Christopher Villarreal
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 6, 2012
          I too have a Bryant in my family, but I am at a complete loss as to her history.  I have a Susan Jane Bryant, who married my ggggrand-father, Andrew Jackson White, sometime around 1866.  She is buried in Harmony Cemetery.  Unfortunately, the headstone there, which was added much later, appears to have the wrong birthyear for her.

          Best that I can figure, Susan Jane (Bryant) White was born February 1849 in Georgia (1900 Census).  Her parents were born in South Carolina (although the 1920 Census says her mother was born in Georgia).  She married Andrew Jackson White around late 1865 or 1866 as their first child was born in 1866 in Alabama.  She died around 1925.

          Any Bryant researchers come across this name?  Of course, she might not be a Bryant at all, and I got bad information.

          Thanks!

          Chris