BRYANTS

  • bobjones38401
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 4, 2012
      Thanks to all of you for your replies about the Bryants. Since there may not be an 1850 census record, we may never confirm the relationships or the second family in Tennessee. It is good to know that you will be on the lookout with us for anything beyond what we now have. Family bibles in TN or AL might help. Again, thanks....
    • Charles McCutchen
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 4, 2012
        Thought I would add my Bryants.  The family may have come out of Lincoln County, Tn.

        1850 Federal Census
        Township 4 Range 6, Jackson, Alabama
        Elisha Bryant      34 (TN)
        Nancy Bryant     26
        Caroline Bryant 12
        Eliza Bryant     10
        John H Bryant     8
        Mary E Bryant     7
        Parthena Bryant 4
        James Cora     16

        1860 Federal Census
        Bellefonte, Jackson, Alabama
        Elisha Brayant age   46 b. TN
        Nancy Brayant        42 b.  AL
        Eliza Jane Brayant   20 b. AL
        John H. Brayant      17 b. AL
        Parthena Brayant     14 b. AL
        Alva F. (m) Brayant   7 b. AL
        Martha Taylor        11 b. AL
        Edwin Wallace        29 b. TN occupation - lawyer

        1870 Federal Census
        Township 3 Range 1 Subdivision 53, Madison, Alabama
        John Bryant      28 (AL)
        Nancy Bryant     33 (AL)
        Alva Bryant     18
        Eliza Hunter     30 (AL)
        Ida Hunter     2
        Jenny Hunter     1

        1880 Federal Census
        Scottsboro, Jackson, Alabama
        Eliza Hunter      32 (AL,AL,AL)
        Idah Hunter     11
        Johnie Hunter     8
        Wm. Hunter     5

        ________________________________
        Thanks to all of you for your replies about the Bryants. Since there may not be an 1850 census record, we may never confirm the relationships or the second family in Tennessee. It is good to know that you will be on the lookout with us for anything beyond what we now have. Family bibles in TN or AL might help. Again, thanks....

      • T'Lene
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 5, 2012
          Thanks for this. I noticed someone mistakenly has Mary E Bryant listed on Ancestry.com as marrying James Marion "Bud" Reeves of Bryant AL. It's very easy to make this type mistake as there were so many people with similar names and ages in close proximity. JMReeves wife was Mary Jane Bryant.

          Again, thanks for your census info.

          T'Lene

        • Christopher Villarreal
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 6, 2012
            I too have a Bryant in my family, but I am at a complete loss as to her history.  I have a Susan Jane Bryant, who married my ggggrand-father, Andrew Jackson White, sometime around 1866.  She is buried in Harmony Cemetery.  Unfortunately, the headstone there, which was added much later, appears to have the wrong birthyear for her.

            Best that I can figure, Susan Jane (Bryant) White was born February 1849 in Georgia (1900 Census).  Her parents were born in South Carolina (although the 1920 Census says her mother was born in Georgia).  She married Andrew Jackson White around late 1865 or 1866 as their first child was born in 1866 in Alabama.  She died around 1925.

            Any Bryant researchers come across this name?  Of course, she might not be a Bryant at all, and I got bad information.

            Thanks!

            Chris