Re: [jacksongenealogy] George Washington Bryant and his father

  • Ann B. Chambless
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 4, 2012
      T'lene (Bryant) Tillotson (JCHA member) is THE expert on the Bryant
      Family, as she has researched this family for a number of years. T'lene
      lives in Dalton, Georgia. Hopefully, she will soon read your Bryant
      query and communicate with you.
      Ann B. Chambless

    • blackcloud27030@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 4, 2012
        1870 Dist 4 SubDiv 1, Long Island PO, Jackson Co. AL
        John Bryant 55 Blacksmith TN
        Elender 47 Keeping House TN
        Sarah 20 At Home AL
        George W. 19 Hireling AL

        1880 Beat 6 (Township 2 Range 9) Jackson Co. AL
        Geo. W. Bryant 30 Farmer AL TN TN
        Emily Josephine 30 Wife Keeping House TN AL TN
        John 7 Son TN AL TN
        Standifer A. 5 Son TN AL TN
        Lemuel 1 Son AL AL TN
        Elisa J. Sims 10 Sister in Law At Home AL TN TN

        Found no marriage for George and Emily Josphine they may have married in TN.
        There is a G. W. Bryant m. Ellen Adams 11 Feb 1889 by MOG G. W. Sims which maybe a second marriage for George W.

        The ages on the 1860 Census are most probably the most correct.

        Clay

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 4, 2012
          Hi Ann and All,

          I spoke with Bob on Friday of last week. I mentioned this group to him and recommended highly.

          Bob's wife is granddaughter of Alvin Christopher "AC" Bryant who was my grandfather, Standifer Bryant's brother.
          Our main difficulty is locating the grandfather, John "Jack" Bryant on the 1850 census.
          Unfortunately most every family had sons named John.
          If his wife was indeed Ellender Allen as someone added on her tombstone,
          I have been unable to verify this.

          Since beginning my search in 1984, I have tried unsuccessfully to learn who erected the cemetery marker.

          I have checked every possible spelling - even adding O'Bryan(t) and Mc Bryant as well as McBryar as there are many in the areas of Jackson Co, AL, Dade Co, GA, Marion Co, TN.

          My great grandparents were George Washinton Bryant and Emily Josephine Sims. He was son of John and Ellender. GWB and his wife moved to Birmingham from Long Island now Bryant. Their home place had been at the foot of Sand Mtn in what is the Hog Jaw Valley/Long Island in Jackson County. It is believed the property may have been taken over for inability to pay taxes. This GWB and Emily died two days apart in Jan 1910 during a flu epidemic. They are buried in Bham in unmarked graves but cemetery records show their locations.

          Furthermore, John had two families of which neither knew of each other. One was supposedly in the Sequatchie Co, TN area.

          John is buried atop Sand Mtn in now Bryant, AL. His grave is one of the oldest in Mtn View Church of God cemetery. It was known as Tater Hill Cemetery.

          I visited the cemetery this past month but believe his stone marker may have been lost to 'time' or weather (tornado). I had seen it several times, so I knew its location.

          His wife - Ellender - is buried at another church cemetery that is on the brow of the Mtn where a dirt road leads down into Hog Jaw Valley. Their son - brother to GWB - is buried in the cemetery with Ellen. He was William HENRY Harrison Bryant. Several other family members are buried there, too. WHHB married first, Lucinda Sims and after her death, he married Rebecca Campbell. As this family resided in Stevenson for several years, they are mentioned in detail in Eliza Woodall's, "The Story of Stevenson".

          The Geo Wash Bryant which Clay was kind enough to mention was the son of WHHBryant. He married first married Ellen Adams

          As if the puzzle wasn't difficult enough, there were other Bryants in the Carn?e)'s community. I've tried in vain to connect these families, but I will never give up.

          I must also accept the possibility that my great grandmother may have been a widow and her children may have taken on the Bryant surname. Another possibilty is the 1850 census enumerator may have missed their family.

          My grandparents, Standifer and Amanda (Boatner) Bryant - as well as many of their family members are buried atop Sand Mtn in Ebenezer Chuch Cemetery in Bryant.

          I will forward a photo which appears on their tombstone.

          Best to all,
          T'Lene Bryant Tillotson