Re: [jacksongenealogy] More Info on John Colbert

  • Kevin Hall
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 29, 2002
      Thank you very much. Now we have a clear copy of the
      1860 census. Just have to keep looking for where they
      might have come from. It says that he was born in
      Alabama. At 30 he would have been born ca 1830, just
      need to find an older census with him on it. There
      are plenty of Colberts just have to find the right
      one. This has been a real test of patients.
      Thanks again for all your help
      Gina.

      http://greetings.yahoo.com/
    • Raymond Shirley
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 29, 2002
        There is a county in the northwestern corner of Alabama that is named
        Colbert. I believe the name originated with brothers named Colbert who
        operated a ferry across the Tennessee river. I'll have to find the
        right book in my library to get the particulars.

        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 30, 2002
          Yes Colbert's Ferry was run by Levi and I think George
          or William Colbert. We know that our family is related
          because of the alabama connection just need to find
          out who Mas Colbert's father was.
          Gina

          --- Raymond Shirley <rshirley@...> wrote:
          > There is a county in the northwestern corner of
          > Alabama that is named
          > Colbert. I believe the name originated with
          > brothers named Colbert who
          > operated a ferry across the Tennessee river. I'll
          > have to find the
          > right book in my library to get the particulars.
          >
          > Kevin Hall wrote:
          >
          > >Thank you very much. Now we have a clear copy of
          > the
          > >1860 census. Just have to keep looking for where
          > they
          > >might have come from. It says that he was born in
          > >Alabama. At 30 he would have been born ca 1830,
          > just
          > >need to find an older census with him on it. There
          > >are plenty of Colberts just have to find the right
          > >one. This has been a real test of patients.

          > >>Awards�

          > >>http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          > >Yahoo! Greetings - send holiday greetings for
          > Easter, Passover
          > >http://greetings.yahoo.com/
          > >

          > >Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          > removed]

          http://greetings.yahoo.com/
        • Raymond Shirley
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 2, 2002
            Some of you Colbert descendants might enjoy reading a small book
            entitled The Devil's Backbone, The Story of the Natchez Trace by
            Jonathan Daniels. It contains quite a bit about the Alabama Colberts.
            The book was published by McGraw-Hill in 1962 and reprinted in 1985 and
            1987 by Pelican Publishing Company, Inc., Gretna, Louisiana.
            The early Alabama/Mississippi Colberts lived among the Chickasaw
            Indians. In fact, several of the Colbert men were Chickasaw chiefs.
            Therefore, you likely will not find them listed in a US census. Other
            than Chickasaw records, the best probable source of information about
            the Colberts who operated the ferry across the TN river would be the
            records of Franklin County, AL.