Re: [jacksongenealogy] WILSON MIGRATION PATH FROM SC TO GA IN 1800'S?

  • James and Barbara Dooley
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 30, 2012
      Good to hear from you, Paula. It really seems as if we should have a
      connection somewhere, but I have yet to see it. Both our families were in
      Walker Co, GA. We have the same situation with the head of household being
      much older than the wife, so we think this was his second marriage. My
      gt.gt.grandfather was named Richard Wilson, Sr., and we do know the second
      wife's full name--Jane Burke. Richard was born in VA, then was in TN, then
      Jackson Co, AL, before going back to TN, then to GA. He disappears after
      the 1860 census, then his son, John Simon W., my gt.grandfather moved to
      TN. My grandfather, William (Billy) Jonas W. moved with his three children
      (including my father) to Jackson Co., AL. They were there in 1900, and
      Billy's mother lived with them. It is thought that my grandmother died in
      childbirth while on the move to AL. My aunt told me that. I certainly
      wish I had asked Daddy more questions, but I wasn't even thinking about
      family history before he died way back in 1969. We also had a Benjamin
      Wilson, son of Richard, and I can't find him anywhere after the 1860
      census. By the way, Richard was a Baptist preacher. We think some other
      more distant Wilson relatives were in Jackson Co., also, and active in
      Baptist churches there.

      My brother took the Wilson DNA test, and I have one proven match for
      him. Cliff Wilson, who was a very active member of our Wilson discussion
      group many years ago. He researched Wilsons in the Northeast and thinks we
      we're in the same line, and the DNA proves that we are. We're not
      absolutely sure how his William is related to my Richard. Years ago, some
      people thought William might be a son of Richard's first wife; others
      thought they were cousins. I'll have to ask Cliff what new info he might
      have about that now.

      We'll all keep digging! After all, the search is fun.

      Barbara