ORIGINAL MUD CREEK PRIMITIVE BAPTIST CHURCH info taken from Mud Creek PB Church Minutes

  • Ann B. Chambless
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 19 12:45 PM
      The Mud Creek Primitive Baptist Church was organized in November 1819,
      one month before Alabama was admitted to the Union. I have a copy of
      the church minutes from November 1819 through 1919. It is thought was
      this was THE first Baptist church organized in Jackson County, AL. Most
      likely it was a simple, single room, log building. According to the 1821
      minutes, Brother Archibald McDaniel agreed to build a door and a table
      for the use of the Mud Creek meeting house for the sum of $2.50. In
      October 1822, repairs were made to the first building. In 1824, a second
      building was constructed. Daniel Peyton, James Taylor, and Andrew
      Estes were appointed to superintend building the NEW meeting house by
      subscription. This building may have had a dirt floor until 1843, as in
      May 1843 Brother Richard Wilson was appointed to FLOOR the meeting
      house. One must remember that steam saw mills made the scene in Jackson
      County about 1840 or shortly thereafter.
      After an intense study of the 1819-1844 minutes of the Mud Creek
      Primitive Baptist Church, I reached the conclusion that the ORIGINAL
      church building was located near Kyle Springs and the outskirts of what
      we now know as Carns, Alabama. This is based on the places of residence
      of the 1819 charter members AND the man to whom the church key was given
      because he lived closest to the building and could build a fire in cold
      months when needed. He was the first "building superintendent" after
      the men built the first building.
      In 1844, Joseph Eustace deeded the land on the northwestern edge of
      present-day Hollywood
      where the Old Baptist Cemetery is located and a NEW church building was
      constructed on the Eustace donated land, and it was completed (to some
      degree) by April 1845 when Joseph Eustace was appointed to keep the key
      to the NEW church house. In 1847, Brothers Sewell and Wm. O. Haynes
      were appointed to obtain subscriptions to "finish the new meeting
      house". In January 1848, the membership paid $22.625 for a stove. Did
      they use a fireplace before that date?
      The 17 charter members of the Mud Creek Primitive Baptist Church were:
      David and Pheraby Benton; Hugh and Betsey Gentry; John and Hannah Horn;
      Richard and Betsey Wilson; Isaac Cates;
      Anderson Robertson; Betsey Nicholds' Betsey Stanfield; Piercey Blagg;
      Nancy McDaniel; Nancy Lewis; Nancy Estes; and Nancy Ward.
      During the first six months of 1820, the following joined the Mud Creek
      Primitive Baptist Church:
      Hannah Barbee (wife of Abimelech Barbee); Daniel and Elizabeth
      Forbus/Forbes; Hannah Mathis; David Nicholds; Jessee Thrasher; James and
      Nancy Taylor; RIchard Stogsdill; William Hutchinson; Polly Estes; Martha
      Thrasher; Penny Melton; Jane Kinningham; Sally York; Prudence Hall;
      Lydia Drew; Isaac Wilson; Stephen Hughs; William Wilson; Betsey Stewart;
      Sally Hughs; William Tubbs; Daniel and Mary Peyton; James Hall; Josiah
      and Betsey Conn; Sally Mitchell; Polly Robertson; and Sally Townsend.
      In June 1820, the church voted that every male should pay 25 cents
      annually for defraying church expense. Anderson Robertson was chosen
      church treasurer.
      By early 1821, there was a "regular" Baptist Church in Jackson County.
      The church minutes show that "Brother Hutcherson/Hutchinson was
      dismissed for joining the Schismatick and communing with them".
      Ann B. Chambless

    • Jackie Brothers
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 19 3:56 PM
        Sometime between 1820 and 1829 Elder James Hall who was accepted in 1820,
        was subsequently excluded from Mud Creek Primitive Baptist Church. Would
        you by chance have the minutes that give the reason for his exclusion?

        Jackie

      • cagle8185@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 20 7:03 AM
          Could this be the same James Hall that started "Halls Chapel"?

          Bill Cagle

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 20 8:52 AM
            It could be, I understand that Paint Rock Primitive Baptist Church was started on his land. Is Paint Rock where Hall’s Chapel is?

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 21 6:40 AM
              Halls Chapel is located on Larkin Fork in Paint Rock Valley and listed on property owned by James Ralph Hall.

              Bill Cagle

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 22 5:21 AM
                Thank you Bill, since it is on Larkin Fork in Paint Rock Valley, it is a good possibility that Hall’s Chapel was at one time Paint ROCK Primitive Baptist Church. Is James Ralph Hall the person that recently passed away? If not, I would love to try and contact him.

                Jackie Hall Brothers

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 22 7:31 AM
                  Mr Hall recently passed away but still has familly at the house.

                  There is a group called Paint Rock Valley Historical Project. They meet at the "old Hall store" the first Sunday of each month from 2pm to 5pm and can provide info.

                  Try the following.
                  Naomi Newsom Knopps (256) 776 2506
                  Judy Prince(205) 533 2122
                  Betsy Collins (931) 469 7693

                  Let me know what you find out.
                  Bill Cagle

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 22 9:34 AM
                    Thank you Bill, unfortunately I live in South Alabama so it would be hard for me to get there. I just googled them and found the name of Bessie Hall are you familiar with her, is she still around?

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 23 7:05 AM
                      Try to call the numbers listed and they can provide info.

                      Bill Cagle