Re: Charles Vaughn and wife Mary Money. Native Blood!

  • cherpotts
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 15, 2012
      The Vaughns are definitely Cherokee. My great great grandmother was Mary Magdaline Vaughan b. 1826-1830 in Jackson County, Alabama. I know she fits into this family in some way but can't pinpoint her parents. Mary lists her father as born in North Carolina and her mother in Tennessee. I know for certain that she was Cherokee and that she or someone in her family was on the Trail of Tears.

      About 1847 in Jackson County, Mary Vaughan married Henry Coulson, the widow of ? Graham, sister of Johanna Graham. Johanna Graham was married to his brother Jacob Coulson. The Coulson brothers were the sons of Isaac Coulson (Coulston, Colston, Cowlston in the Jackson County census records). The Grahams, Coulsons, and Vaughns are all listed in the 1840 Jackson County, Alabama census record.

      Henry and Mary's children were Samuel, Mary Ann, SARAH ALICE, James David, Cordelia M, John Lee, Nancy, and Martha L. Coulson. They are all listed in the Franklin County, Tennessee census records for 1860, 1870, and 1880.

      Sarah Alice Coulson married Thomas Cunningham of Coffee County, Tennessee and had my grandfather James Henry Cunningham. A man from the government came to their house to speak to my great grandmother Sarah about being Cherokee and Thomas threw him out. From what I'm told he tried to hide the fact that she was Cherokee and the children weren't to talk about it. My grandfather James didn't admit it until after he married my Cherokee grandmother and raised his children to be proud of their heritage.

      After researching Austin McClellahand Vaughn, (son of James Austin Vaughn and Rosey Lee McClellahand), I saw that his children and Henry and Mary's children all have the same names. It may be that Mary and Austin are siblings and Milly Vaughn(b.1781-1790)is their grandmother. I suppose it's possible that Mary Vaughan was the last child of Milly Vaughn.