Vaughan/Vaughn Family

  • Cher Potts
    Message 1 of 34 , Jul 14, 2012
      My great great grandmother was Mary Magdaline Vaughan. She was born in Jackson County, Alabama between 1826-1828.  She married Henderson "Henry" Coulson (Colston) abt 1847 in Jackson County, Alabama after his first wife (sister to Johanna Graham) died. I do not know who her parents were but she lists the father as born in North Carolina and her mother in Tennessee.  I do know that the families of Jackson County went back and forth between Franklin Co, TN and Jackson Co, AL.

      The 1830 Jackson County census lists Austin, Charles, and William Vaughn.

      The 1840 Jackson County census lists Samuel, Charles, Eldrige, William R, Marshall M, Milly, and A.M. (Austin McClellahan) Vaughn. Also listed are the Coulson, Graham, and Gillespie families.

      Mary Vaughan
      Coulson is listed in the Franklin County, Tennessee census records for 1860, 1870, and 1880. Their children were Samuel, Mary Ann, Sarah Alice, James David, Cordelia M, John Lee, Nancy, and Martha L. Coulson.

      After researching Austin McClellahan Vaughn, son of James Austin Vaughn, I found that the names of his children are identical to the names of Mary Vaughn's children.  They are Samuel, David, Nancy, William, James, Pike, John, Sarah, and Martha.  I know I'm close.

      Also, I know that my great grandmother Sarah A. Coulson was Cherokee Indian and suspect that it came from her mother Mary Vaughan. After researching the Vaughan/Vaughn families, I see that many of them are Cherokee.

      I'm hoping someone will have a missing piece to my puzzle.

    • James and Barbara Dooley
      Message 34 of 34 , Jul 23, 2012
        What a nice offer, Waynette. My email is jb.dooley100@....

        Thanks!