Family Trees at Familysearch/Ancestry/other websites

  • blackcloud27030@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 27, 2012
      I think we all know by now to take many of the family trees posted at these sites with a grain or two of salt. If they have nothing but names and dates without any sources/records at all I personally just dismiss them. It is the sources/records attached that tell you whether someone has been hard at work or just copying. I have a working familytree at ancestry (it is not written in stone) but have never uploaded any gedcom as uploading a gedcom to familysearch or ancestry seems to lock you into that data forever right or wrong. There is just over 4800 people on with over 9000 records/sources.

      There are many familytrees and gedcoms for my family at different websites by others some with such crazy info that I have to laugh. I have left postums, notes, corrections and sent emails but it does not seem to matter nothing gets changed even though I sent scans of the family bible and records.

      There is always that one person who thinks they have all the right info without a single record or source that seems to hook a good number of people in. Some people seem to just collect names. Anyone with over a 100,000 people on their tree can't be serious. Familytrees with just names without records/sources attached to them are just that a list of names it is not genealogy. There should be more records/sources attacted to the tree than there are people if not that is a red flag. It is really a giggle when you see a tree that traces a family back to the year 1. Note there were no Cherokee princess and few can trace their ancestry back to European royalty.

      My advice is to check out what they say and see if you can find a record/source and if you can't don't use it or put a footnote/comment that it is without a record/source and is to be used with caution.