DNA Messer/Bynum link

  • quietholler.dana
    Message 1 of 4 , May 5 1:28 PM
      Hello- I was one of the 12,000 lucky people who was able to get a $10 autosomal DNA test from Ancestry.com. So far, I've had two matches with people descended from James Bynum (1789 NC- 1868 AL)- one was a fairly close match: fourth cousins. As I emailed my cousin with this news today, I realized there are people who participate in this group who might be interested in this information also. Here is my lineage:

      me, Dana
      mom, Mary Nichols
      grandma, Anna Belle Messer
      Ggrandpa, Monroe Jasper Messer
      GGgrandpa, Jesse Greenberry Messer
      GGGgrandparents, William Messer & Sarah Elizabeth Bynum

      Prior to this, the only evidence I had that William Messer's wife Sarah was Sarah Bynum, was circumstantial (location, names). If anyone has traditional documentation of that relationship, please share :-D

      While the DNA matches don't replace paper documentation, they make me feel secure in leaving Sarah Elizabeth Bynum on my tree. I'm hoping for more matches from my Jackson County families. Best, Dana
    • Waynette Davis
      Message 2 of 4 , May 5 5:46 PM
        Once had a message board note from a Lillium Bennett who was doing
        Bynum/King/ Hutton and Kennedy lines.

        Do you know if she "Lillium Bennett is still in the Jacksongenealogy group?

        She had posted that one of my 2nd great aunts Malinda King had married a
        John Hutton, second son of Phoebe Bynum (not proven) there in Jackson County
        ( John Hunter (sic) on one census) My interest would be any information on
        the wife, Malinda KING Hutton. I see you have Bynum's so thought there
        might be a connection in your tree. Waynette Davis

      • Jimmie Ryan
        Message 3 of 4 , May 6 6:17 AM
          How exciting cousin, would love to fill in this section of William's family,
          my 2nd great grandmother was his second wife (Elizabeth "Betsy" Stephens
          Brazier Messer) and I do not have much on Jesse Greenberry's line. I have
          an old photograph of William in Jackson cir 1884 and it seems most of the
          Messer Clan moved into northwest and central Texas together, well except for
          those that moved to Florida. You can send it to me off list if you would
          like at altafae@....

          Cuz Jimmie
          Elijah Brazier b 1776 NC d abt 1857 Jackson, AL, USA

          Message 4 of 4 , May 6 9:05 AM
            Hi Waynette- I'm sorry, I don't know the answer to your question, but chances are someone else does. Dana