Pictures from Inez Jenkins Murphy

  • David Bradford
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 15, 2012
      From conversations with Cindy, I knew that descendents of Inez Jenkins Murphy, daughter of Willie Porter Jenkins and Lucy Young. We contacted this descendent recently and have gave us six boxes of Inez's papers that includes extensive information about the Kirby, Jenkins, and Pegues family, among others. I have wonderful early letter (1832) from the Pegues family, a letter postedmarked in Bellefonte post office, and wonderful paint-enhanced photos (I think) of Eliza Brown Parks and Richard "Lawyer Dick" Kirby. Richard is the infamous Kirby who had an additional set of children by his niece-in-law, Arabelle Boyd Kirby, and was subsquently called before court on public indecency charges.

      If any of you are interested in these pictures or the Pegues letters or the Bellefonte postmark, please contact me. I will post other things from this wonderful stash of genealogy information as I process them.

      Annette Bradford
    • clyde broadway
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 15, 2012
        Kirby cemetary is on Backbone Ridge behind Westchester Apts. This cemetary has under 20 tombstones, one of which is that of Clinton Kirby, a veteran of the War of 1812,  and is very much endangered, as the fence has been removed and many stones are knocked over or knocked down. You nearly have to be a billygoat to get to this cemetary now, because work in the adjacent chert pit has left it isolated.

        Clyde Broadway

        If any of you are interested in these pictures or the Pegues letters or the Bellefonte postmark, please contact me. I will post other things from this wonderful stash of genealogy information as I process them.

        Annette Bradford

      • Karl Plenge
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 15, 2012
          I believe the railroad line that runs through Paint Rock and eventually on around to Stevenson would have originally been part of the Memphis and Charleston, but if I am wrong, someone please correct me.

          I also see on the map a line that runs northwest out of Stevenson. Anyone know what line this would have been originally?

        • Annette Norris Bradford
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 15, 2012
            On 4/15/2012 9:44 PM, clyde broadway wrote:

            > Kirby cemetary is on Backbone Ridge behind Westchester Apts. This
            > cemetary has under 20 tombstones, one of which is that of Clinton
            > Kirby, a veteran of the War of 1812, and is very much endangered, as
            > the fence has been removed and many stones are knocked over or knocked
            > down. You nearly have to be a billygoat to get to this cemetary now,
            > because work in the adjacent chert pit has left it isolated.
            >
            > Clyde Broadway
            >
            > --- On Sun, 4/15/12, David Bradford <abradford@...
            > <mailto:abradford%40nc.rr.com>> wrote:
            >
            > From: David Bradford <abradford@... <mailto:abradford%40nc.rr.com>>
            > Subject: [jacksongenealogy] Pictures from Inez Jenkins Murphy
            > To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
            > Date: Sunday, April 15, 2012, 3:56 PM
            >

            > >From conversations with Cindy, I knew that descendents of Inez
            > Jenkins Murphy, daughter of Willie Porter Jenkins and Lucy Young. We
            > contacted this descendent recently and have gave us six boxes of
            > Inez's papers that includes extensive information about the Kirby,
            > Jenkins, and Pegues family, among others. I have wonderful early
            > letter (1832) from the Pegues family, a letter postedmarked in
            > Bellefonte post office, and wonderful paint-enhanced photos (I think)
            > of Eliza Brown Parks and Richard "Lawyer Dick" Kirby. Richard is the
            > infamous Kirby who had an additional set of children by his
            > niece-in-law, Arabelle Boyd Kirby, and was subsquently called before
            > court on public indecency charges.
            >
            > If any of you are interested in these pictures or the Pegues letters
            > or the Bellefonte postmark, please contact me. I will post other
            > things from this wonderful stash of genealogy information as I process
            > them.
            >
            > Annette Bradford

            Yes, Clyde. I have long been concerned about this cemetery. It is very
            hard to get to and very overgrown. Last time I looked, which was last
            month, I could not find it at all. I know that David's grandmother went
            through the process to have the DAR mark Clinton Kirby's grave because
            he was a Revolutionary War veteran. This cemetery was just barely
            holding on. I hope I had forgotten where I found it earlier, and was
            just looking in the wrong place. I believe Richard Kirby is buried up
            there also. If I read the land patent maps right, this was originally
            land Richard Kirby's land by patent, but I do not know the history of
            the land or who owns it now.

            Annette

          • Ann B. Chambless
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 15, 2012
              On 4/15/2012 9:38 PM, Karl Plenge wrote:

              > I believe the railroad line that runs through Paint Rock and
              > eventually on around to Stevenson would have originally been part of
              > the Memphis and Charleston, but if I am wrong, someone please correct me.
              >
              > I also see on the map a line that runs northwest out of Stevenson.
              > Anyone know what line this would have been originally?
              >
              > The Memphis and Charleston Railroad ran on its own tracks from
              > Memphis, Tennessee, to Stevenson, Alabama. From Stevenson to
              > Chattanooga, Tennnessee, the Memphis and Charleston RR shared the
              > tracks with the Nashville and Chattanooga Railroad whose tracks ran
              > from Nashville, Tennessee, to Stevenson, Alabama. The Nashville and
              > Chattanooga RR is your line that runs northwest out of Stevenson, Alabama.
              Ann B. Chambless
              > .

            • Regina Pipes
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 16, 2012
                Clyde, I saw an article on TV about this lady that rented out her goats to clean up over grown places. I had forgotten about it until you mentioned goats. She had loaned out her few goats and word got around about what a great job they did on the cleanup which started her small business. Might be a good idea if anyone knows anyone with goats. Goats will eat almost anything.

                Regina

                Kirby cemetary is on Backbone Ridge behind Westchester Apts. This cemetary has under 20 tombstones, one of which is that of Clinton Kirby, a veteran of the War of 1812, and is very much endangered, as the fence has been removed and many stones are knocked over or knocked down. You nearly have to be a billygoat to get to this cemetary now, because work in the adjacent chert pit has left it isolated.

                Clyde Broadway

                If any of you are interested in these pictures or the Pegues letters or the Bellefonte postmark, please contact me. I will post other things from this wonderful stash of genealogy information as I process them.

                Annette Bradford

              • John Green
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 16, 2012
                  Karl,

                  The RR that runs northwest from Stevenson goes to Nashville. The line was the company that became N C & Saint L (Nashville, Charleston and Saint Louis) This RR was a major supply line for the North during the War Between the States. The meeting of the east-west RR with the north-south RR made Stevenson very important during this time frame.

                  John M. Green

                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 16, 2012
                    > The Memphis and Charleston Railroad ran on its own tracks from
                    > Memphis, Tennessee, to Stevenson, Alabama. From Stevenson to
                    > Chattanooga, Tennnessee, the Memphis and Charleston RR shared the
                    > tracks with the Nashville and Chattanooga Railroad whose tracks ran
                    > from Nashville, Tennessee, to Stevenson, Alabama. The Nashville and
                    > Chattanooga RR is your line that runs northwest out of Stevenson, Alabama.

                    Thank you for this information - one more, then - what line originally owned the tracks that run NE out of Stevenson, which I had assumed was the natural continuation of the Memphis & Charleston?

                  • Karl Plenge
                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 16, 2012
                      The RR that runs northwest from Stevenson goes to Nashville. The line was the company that became N C & Saint L (Nashville, Charleston and Saint Louis) This RR was a major supply line for the North during the War Between the States. The meeting of the east-west RR with the north-south RR made Stevenson very important during this time frame.

                      Thanks to you also for this reply - I will ask you also, what was the line that runs NE out of Stevenson originally?

                    • Ann B. Chambless
                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 16, 2012
                        On 4/16/2012 6:13 PM, Karl Plenge wrote:

                        > The RR that runs northwest from Stevenson goes to Nashville. The line
                        > was the company that became N C & Saint L (Nashville, Charleston and
                        > Saint Louis) This RR was a major supply line for the North during the
                        > War Between the States. The meeting of the east-west RR with the
                        > north-south RR made Stevenson very important during this time frame.
                        > member of the Jackson County, Alabama genealogy group.God bless America

                        The tracks from Stevenson to Chattanooga were part of the Nashville and
                        Chattanooga Railroad Co. and were already in use by the time the Memphis
                        and Charleston tracks reached Stevenson. Therefore, the Memphis and
                        Charleston Railroad Co. negotiated with the N&C Railroad Co. to share
                        their tracks from Stevenson to Chattanooga. Part of the deal was that
                        the M&C would supply coal for the N&C trains for the last leg of their
                        run between Shellmound and Chattanooga, TN.
                        Ann Chambless

                      • delilah
                        Message 11 of 15 , Apr 21, 2012
                          I have a book on the Railroads, if anyone wants me to check for anything. Not real sure what all it covers.
                          delilah evans

                          Message 12 of 15 , Apr 21, 2012
                            I think everyone addressed the questions I had, but thank you!

                          • glonet1
                            Message 13 of 15 , May 5, 2012
                              Annette,
                              I would be very interested in the Pegues letters. Would you mind emailing me at glonet1@... re which Pegues and more info?

                              Gloria Nettles

                              --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Annette Norris Bradford <abradford@...> wrote:

                              > On 4/15/2012 9:44 PM, clyde broadway wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Kirby cemetary is on Backbone Ridge behind Westchester Apts. This
                              > > cemetary has under 20 tombstones, one of which is that of Clinton
                              > > Kirby, a veteran of the War of 1812, and is very much endangered, as
                              > > the fence has been removed and many stones are knocked over or knocked
                              > > down. You nearly have to be a billygoat to get to this cemetary now,
                              > > because work in the adjacent chert pit has left it isolated.
                              > >
                              > > Clyde Broadway
                              > >
                              > > --- On Sun, 4/15/12, David Bradford <abradford@...
                              > > <mailto:abradford%40nc.rr.com>> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > From: David Bradford <abradford@... <mailto:abradford%40nc.rr.com>>
                              > > Subject: [jacksongenealogy] Pictures from Inez Jenkins Murphy
                              > > To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
                              > > <mailto:jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.com>
                              > > Date: Sunday, April 15, 2012, 3:56 PM
                              > >

                              > > >From conversations with Cindy, I knew that descendents of Inez
                              > > Jenkins Murphy, daughter of Willie Porter Jenkins and Lucy Young. We
                              > > contacted this descendent recently and have gave us six boxes of
                              > > Inez's papers that includes extensive information about the Kirby,
                              > > Jenkins, and Pegues family, among others. I have wonderful early
                              > > letter (1832) from the Pegues family, a letter postedmarked in
                              > > Bellefonte post office, and wonderful paint-enhanced photos (I think)
                              > > of Eliza Brown Parks and Richard "Lawyer Dick" Kirby. Richard is the
                              > > infamous Kirby who had an additional set of children by his
                              > > niece-in-law, Arabelle Boyd Kirby, and was subsquently called before
                              > > court on public indecency charges.
                              > >
                              > > If any of you are interested in these pictures or the Pegues letters
                              > > or the Bellefonte postmark, please contact me. I will post other
                              > > things from this wonderful stash of genealogy information as I process
                              > > them.
                              > >
                              > > Annette Bradford

                              > Yes, Clyde. I have long been concerned about this cemetery. It is very
                              > hard to get to and very overgrown. Last time I looked, which was last
                              > month, I could not find it at all. I know that David's grandmother went
                              > through the process to have the DAR mark Clinton Kirby's grave because
                              > he was a Revolutionary War veteran. This cemetery was just barely
                              > holding on. I hope I had forgotten where I found it earlier, and was
                              > just looking in the wrong place. I believe Richard Kirby is buried up
                              > there also. If I read the land patent maps right, this was originally
                              > land Richard Kirby's land by patent, but I do not know the history of
                              > the land or who owns it now.
                              >
                              > Annette

                            • tigerbite37397
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jan 5, 2013
                                I would be willing to pay for postage/ costs for copies of picures or letters from Ms Inez. Please contact me for more info. Misty Fulfer (423)260-9509

                                --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "glonet1" wrote:

                                > Annette,
                                > I would be very interested in the Pegues letters. Would you mind emailing me at glonet1@... re which Pegues and more info?
                                >
                                > Gloria Nettles
                                >
                                > --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Annette Norris Bradford wrote:
                                > >
                                > > On 4/15/2012 9:44 PM, clyde broadway wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > Kirby cemetary is on Backbone Ridge behind Westchester Apts. This
                                > > > cemetary has under 20 tombstones, one of which is that of Clinton
                                > > > Kirby, a veteran of the War of 1812, and is very much endangered, as
                                > > > the fence has been removed and many stones are knocked over or knocked
                                > > > down. You nearly have to be a billygoat to get to this cemetary now,
                                > > > because work in the adjacent chert pit has left it isolated.
                                > > >
                                > > > Clyde Broadway
                                > > >
                                > > > --- On Sun, 4/15/12, David Bradford
                                > > > wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > From: David Bradford >
                                > > > Subject: [jacksongenealogy] Pictures from Inez Jenkins Murphy
                                > > > To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
                                > > >
                                > > > Date: Sunday, April 15, 2012, 3:56 PM

                                > > > Jenkins Murphy, daughter of Willie Porter Jenkins and Lucy Young. We
                                > > > contacted this descendent recently and have gave us six boxes of
                                > > > Inez's papers that includes extensive information about the Kirby,
                                > > > Jenkins, and Pegues family, among others. I have wonderful early
                                > > > letter (1832) from the Pegues family, a letter postedmarked in
                                > > > Bellefonte post office, and wonderful paint-enhanced photos (I think)
                                > > > of Eliza Brown Parks and Richard "Lawyer Dick" Kirby. Richard is the
                                > > > infamous Kirby who had an additional set of children by his
                                > > > niece-in-law, Arabelle Boyd Kirby, and was subsquently called before
                                > > > court on public indecency charges.
                                > > >
                                > > > If any of you are interested in these pictures or the Pegues letters
                                > > > or the Bellefonte postmark, please contact me. I will post other
                                > > > things from this wonderful stash of genealogy information as I process
                                > > > them.
                                > > >
                                > > > Annette Bradford

                                > > Yes, Clyde. I have long been concerned about this cemetery. It is very
                                > > hard to get to and very overgrown. Last time I looked, which was last
                                > > month, I could not find it at all. I know that David's grandmother went
                                > > through the process to have the DAR mark Clinton Kirby's grave because
                                > > he was a Revolutionary War veteran. This cemetery was just barely
                                > > holding on. I hope I had forgotten where I found it earlier, and was
                                > > just looking in the wrong place. I believe Richard Kirby is buried up
                                > > there also. If I read the land patent maps right, this was originally
                                > > land Richard Kirby's land by patent, but I do not know the history of
                                > > the land or who owns it now.
                                > >
                                > > Annette

                              • David Bradford
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jan 6, 2013
                                  Misty, just tried calling you. I am willing to mail you a CD. Please call me at the phone number captured by your phone and I will mail you what I have scanned and tell you about the other materials available.

                                  Annette Bradford