Re: [jacksongenealogy] 1860 FEDERAL CENSUS PERSONAL ESTATE VALUES

  • Joy Smith
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 3, 2012
      I think slaves would have been the biggest factor in determining "personal estate" values. However, when a household was dissolved, a $ value was placed on every item owned - down to bedsteads, china, animals, farm implements, & yes...slaves.

      Joy

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 3, 2012
        Williamson R. W. Cobb - what an interesting guy! Are you writing a book about him? There's plenty of story to be unraveled and told!

        My first thought was that there might be records of taxes he paid to the IRS. Those tax records (and the collection of the taxes, which were levied by the US Government to support the war, and extended to southern states as soon as Union troops gained control) were rather spotty in the South, but when I looked I found several other sources. All of these were under the name of Williamson R. W. Cobb, which I hope was unusual enough for them to be about the same person.

        First: There is a large file (54 pages) about him in the Confederate Citizens File. It seems to be about an election to the Confederate Congress which he won and was being contested on the grounds of his actually being a Northern sympathizer, although since I did not read the whole file, my interpretation might be off. At any rate, there are numerous points in the file which might give evidence of his belongings.

        Second: There is a two-page file in the Union Citizens File which attests to his loyalty to the Union. This really doesn't pertain to the question of the value of his estate, but was interesting in light of the previous file.

        Third: There is a file of 114 pages in Southern Claims - Barred and Disallowed
        Claim #5071 for $3433 filed by Bryant Cobb in 1871 after the death of W R W Cobb. Includes detailed letters and descriptions of things people saw on the estate and the possible damage done by Union soldiers, which is the basis of the claim.
        1. 100 bus Corn - $1000
        2. Library, books, & buildings - $2200
        3. 500 lbs Bacon - $125
        4. 6 Hogs - $60
        5. 600 lbs beef - $48
        A note at the end reads:
        "This claim is presented on behalf of the estate of W. R. W. Cobb, deceased.
        "In 1860-61, he was a member of Congress from Ala. - He left Congress, went home & made speeches - said he was going with the South for wead? or wos? - was a candidate in 1861 for the Confederate Congress & defeated - but in 1863 he was elected to the Confederate Congress but never attended any meeting of that body, the witness naively remarking that the federal troops had reached Alabama & interfered with his going.
        "Claim rejected"

        Martha
        Genealogy - So many ancestors...so little time!

        On Mar 3, 2012, at 1:59 PM, Ann B. Chambless wrote:

        > The 1860 Federal census was the first to ask heads of households to
        > state the value of their personal estate (in addition to their real
        > estate values). I feel sure a great deal of the value stated was based
        > on the owner's evaluation of his/her black slaves. Does anyone know of
        > other personal items that might have been included?
        > In 1860, Wiliamson R. W. Cobb's personal estate was valued at
        > $70,000.00. I checked the 1860 Federal Slave Census, and he owned 18
        > slaves, all 17 years of age or older, except 6 children who whose ages
        > ranged from 2 to 12. Cobb's estimate of $70,000.00 is almost double
        > what his neighbors (who owned approximately the same number of blacks)
        > estimated their personal estate value to be. Was Cobb more honest or
        > accurate in his estimated value, or did he have other goods that he
        > included in his personal estate evaluation? Any ideas you may have to
        > help me obtain a reasonable answer will be appreciated.
        > Ann B. Chambless

      • Cindy Smith
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 3, 2012
          In one of my Georgia tax records value of personal estate included cash and value of any debts held (IOU's). Cindy
          To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
          From: joy0420@...
          Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2012 17:41:47 -0600

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 3, 2012
            Martha, that is great research, did you find anything on our Williams family or Vann and Mccutchen in the Confederate file?  Roger

            ________________________________
> [...]

            > state the value of their personal estate (in addition to their real
            > estate values). I feel sure a great deal of the value stated was based
            > on the owner's evaluation of his/her black slaves. Does anyone know of
            > other personal items that might have been included?
            > In 1860, Wiliamson R. W. Cobb's personal estate was valued at
            > $70,000.00. I checked the 1860 Federal Slave Census, and he owned 18
            > slaves, all 17 years of age or older, except 6 children who whose ages
            > ranged from 2 to 12. Cobb's estimate of $70,000.00 is almost double
            > what his neighbors (who owned approximately the same number of blacks)
            > estimated their personal estate value to be. Was Cobb more honest or
            > accurate in his estimated value, or did he have other goods that he
            > included in his personal estate evaluation? Any ideas you may have to
            > help me obtain a reasonable answer will be appreciated.

          • Martha Wallace
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 3, 2012
              Roger,

              Haven't looked for the Williams or Vanns lately - this is on Fold3 (formerly Footnote), but maybe it's time to see if anything new has popped up - after I finish my taxes.

              On Mar 3, 2012, at 7:43 PM, Roger Burbank wrote:

              > Martha, that is great research, did you find anything on our Williams family or Vann and Mccutchen in the Confederate file? Roger

            • Roger Burbank
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 3, 2012
                Confederate Civilian Files!

                I found them on fold3, they are great. I found Joseph W. Mccutchen delivering Ash to Sauta mines, this Joseph is Calvin Mcc. brother, both sons of Joseph Mcc. sr. So Calvin was guarding the mine and his brother Joseph was delivering ash to make gun powder. I found a lot of names, but it is hard to tell what State the files represent.  Several I looked at do not mention State or County? unless I missed it. There are a lot of duplicate names so be careful you have the right ancestor.  Roger