RE: [jacksongenealogy] Robert S. Gilliland

  • Waynette Davis
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 2, 2012
      I have a photo of a Susan J. Mitchell. I received this from a lady named
      Massey in California whom I believe may be in this Jackson County group.

      Is this your Susan J. Mitchell, head of house you mentioned. Waynette Davis

    • Elsinger Family
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 2, 2012
        Waynette,

        I really don't know anything about Susan J. Mitchell. I just know there
        are these two young Gilliland boys living with her 1870. I don't know if
        she was a relative or what. I'd like to find out where the boys went.

        LuAnn

      • blackcloud27030@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 2, 2012
          Don't know whether you have this or not.

          Susan Mitchell on the 1870 census is the Gilliland children's Grandmother. Look at the 1850 for John W. b. ca 1814 TN and Susan Mitchell b. ca 1817 NC with 7 children including Mayville Mitchell b. 1839. John W. Mitchell apparently died before the 1860 Census, Susan is listed on the 1860 with 8 children. Susan is listed on the 1870 with 3 of her children and the two Gilliland grandchildren.

          John and James mother may well have died or moved away. Benjamin F. Pike is listed only on his and Maryville's marriage record there are no Pikes on any of the census.

          Clay

          ________________________________
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 2, 2012
            Clay,

            Nope, I missed that. Thanks so much for finding this. It gives me
            another piece of the puzzle :)

            LuAnn

            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 3, 2012
              This Susanah J. Montgomery was born on Dec 08 1874 so I guess she could not
              be the grandmother and this Susanah J. Montgomery Mitchell could not have
              had 3 children by 1860's so I will let this one go as a connection with you.
              Good luck. Waynette Davis.

            • Charles McCutchen
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 11, 2012
                I took one of our Morgan County cousins Tom McCutcheon to Blue Springs Cemetery Larkinsville and he spotted a grave on the side of the hill on the other side of the
                road in the Southwest corner of the cemetery.  We climbed up there and
                there are probably close to 100 graves, most marked with a single stone
                and maybe a dozen or so with markers.  The section is grown up and is
                now woods.  Most of the upright stones with markers are broken and
                laying on the ground.  A couple were flipped over and were too big to
                pickup to see what the marker said.  Among the ones with markers were McCutchen, Durham, Berry, and Gentle.

                https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.407868919240017.109966.131944026832509&type=1

              • Waynette Davis
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 11, 2012
                  That is so sad about the stones. I don't have anyone buried there at all,
                  but it is still sad

                  to hear of graves so forgotten. Waynette

                • Nora Kirschling
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 11, 2012
                    I'm from the Gentle line and have ancestors buried there.. it's so sad
                    to hear about the cemetery. I keep hoping to travel out there (from
                    California) and it sounds like I should plan a trip soon before the
                    cemetery is completely lost =(

                    On 3/11/2012 1:55 PM, Charles McCutchen wrote:

                    > I took one of our Morgan County cousins Tom McCutcheon to Blue Springs
                    > Cemetery Larkinsville and he spotted a grave on the side of the hill
                    > on the other side of the
                    > road in the Southwest corner of the cemetery. We climbed up there and
                    > there are probably close to 100 graves, most marked with a single stone
                    > and maybe a dozen or so with markers. The section is grown up and is
                    > now woods. Most of the upright stones with markers are broken and
                    > laying on the ground. A couple were flipped over and were too big to
                    > pickup to see what the marker said. Among the ones with markers were
                    > McCutchen, Durham, Berry, and Gentle.
                    >
                    > https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.407868919240017.109966.131944026832509&type=1
                    > <https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.407868919240017.109966.131944026832509&type=1>

                  • kaletalynn
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 6
                      Waynette, that Susan Mitchell is my gg grandmother. I would love to get a copy of the picture if you can tell me how.  I finally broke through the brick wall that has kept me from finding my great grandfather, Flavius Josephus Mitchell. Now that I have discovered his parents and siblings, I'm trying to learn as much as possible about all of them. Seeing a photo would be the icing on the cake.

                      Lynn Mitchell Smith