Robert S. Gilliland

  • luculente
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1, 2012
      I was wondering if anyone had any additional information on Robert S. Gilliland's family. Robert had one son, James E. and three daughters. James E. and his wife, Maryville, had at least two children, John R. and Mary J. and possibly a third, James. James E. died during the Civil War and his wife remarried a Benjamin F. Pike on 24 Sep 1865. In the 1870 census I found a John Gilliland, age 12, and a James Gilliland, age 8, living in Jackson County in the Susan Mitchell household. These seem to be the correct ages for James E. and Maryville's sons. But where is their mother and step-father? And, I can't find the boys after 1870.
    • Waynette Davis
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 2, 2012
        I have a photo of a Susan J. Mitchell. I received this from a lady named
        Massey in California whom I believe may be in this Jackson County group.

        Is this your Susan J. Mitchell, head of house you mentioned. Waynette Davis

      • Elsinger Family
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 2, 2012
          Waynette,

          I really don't know anything about Susan J. Mitchell. I just know there
          are these two young Gilliland boys living with her 1870. I don't know if
          she was a relative or what. I'd like to find out where the boys went.

          LuAnn

        • blackcloud27030@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 2, 2012
            Don't know whether you have this or not.

            Susan Mitchell on the 1870 census is the Gilliland children's Grandmother. Look at the 1850 for John W. b. ca 1814 TN and Susan Mitchell b. ca 1817 NC with 7 children including Mayville Mitchell b. 1839. John W. Mitchell apparently died before the 1860 Census, Susan is listed on the 1860 with 8 children. Susan is listed on the 1870 with 3 of her children and the two Gilliland grandchildren.

            John and James mother may well have died or moved away. Benjamin F. Pike is listed only on his and Maryville's marriage record there are no Pikes on any of the census.

            Clay

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 2, 2012
              Clay,

              Nope, I missed that. Thanks so much for finding this. It gives me
              another piece of the puzzle :)

              LuAnn

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 3, 2012
                This Susanah J. Montgomery was born on Dec 08 1874 so I guess she could not
                be the grandmother and this Susanah J. Montgomery Mitchell could not have
                had 3 children by 1860's so I will let this one go as a connection with you.
                Good luck. Waynette Davis.

              • Charles McCutchen
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 11, 2012
                  I took one of our Morgan County cousins Tom McCutcheon to Blue Springs Cemetery Larkinsville and he spotted a grave on the side of the hill on the other side of the
                  road in the Southwest corner of the cemetery.  We climbed up there and
                  there are probably close to 100 graves, most marked with a single stone
                  and maybe a dozen or so with markers.  The section is grown up and is
                  now woods.  Most of the upright stones with markers are broken and
                  laying on the ground.  A couple were flipped over and were too big to
                  pickup to see what the marker said.  Among the ones with markers were McCutchen, Durham, Berry, and Gentle.

                  https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.407868919240017.109966.131944026832509&type=1

                • Waynette Davis
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 11, 2012
                    That is so sad about the stones. I don't have anyone buried there at all,
                    but it is still sad

                    to hear of graves so forgotten. Waynette

                  • Nora Kirschling
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 11, 2012
                      I'm from the Gentle line and have ancestors buried there.. it's so sad
                      to hear about the cemetery. I keep hoping to travel out there (from
                      California) and it sounds like I should plan a trip soon before the
                      cemetery is completely lost =(