Why They Moved

  • blackcloud27030@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 27, 2012
      One reason a great many people moved west to Texas and Arkansas was the R/R that connected Jackson County to Texas, Arkansas and Oklahoma.

      Another was the R/R companies had vast tracts of land for sale along their tracks in TX, AR and Oklahoma and that land was cheap.

      Much of the land they had for sale was relatively flat and easy to farm compared to the land in Jackson County.

      The exodus comenced before the Civil War and continued into the early 1900s.

      Another reason often overlooked is that many of the men coming back from fighting in the Civil War suffered for what we today call PTSD and just wanted to get away. Some indeed just up and left their wives and children behind and started new families out west. We covered that sometime ago with Gone To Texas.

      I had two examples of that. One with a Thrift cousin in VA who left his wife and children for a cousin and moved to TX and one with my GGreataunt Nancy Jane Harper who married Thomas Latham 07 Jun 1847 and had 9 children with him the last one in 1867. Thomas Latham was a 2nd LT in the Co. A 1st Reg't AL/TN Vidette Cav. USA. Thomas and Nancy Jame's last child was b.19 Jan 1867 after than Thomas Latham abandoned his wife and children in Jan 1867 went to TN and took a mistress Elizabeth Ann Freeman with whom he had a son b. 23 Mar1868 they moved back to Jackson Co. by the 1870 census where they are listed together. By 1871 they had moved to Benton Co. AR and by 1873 to Washington Co. AR they had 6 or 7 more children. Thomas Latham received a Union pension for being Invalid 12 Sep 1872. They are listed on the 1880 and 1900 Census as married. Thomas Latham died there 23 Feb 1903 Washington Co. AR and has a Union Army headstone, Elizabeth Ann
      died there sometime after 1903. Nancy Jane (Harper) Latham died 27 Apr 1905 and is buried in Pace Cem. at the head of Boxes Cove, Larkinsville, Jackson Co. I don't know if the reason Thomas Latham came back to Jackson Co. in late 1869 was to divorce his wife.

    • Roger Burbank
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 27, 2012
        Well that is interesting.  James Mccutchen was a locomotive engineer on the Little Rock & Memphis Railroad.  Maybe there was a connection with the railroad that caused the move.

        Roger

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 27, 2012
          I agree. I think that is what caused part of my family to locate where they did.

          One man worked the railroad, moved his family to a booming area, and my grandparents followed because the women were sisters.

          They moved from Madison County, Arkansas, to southeastern Oklahoma. There still is nothing going on in Madison County, Ark, and that was in the 1920s!

          Pat Foster

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 27, 2012
            My Mcctchens were in Madison also. Roger

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 27, 2012
              Most of my relatives in Madison County, Arkansas, were from Kentucky. Probably all the same reasons they left there?

              But, most of them made their own little settlement area and the township was called ‘Kentucky.’

              They were Cornetts, Whites, Combs, Sisemore, Longs, and others.

              If your Mccutchens were in Madison County Arkansas, they must have been over the hill from this bunch or they might have married into them?

              My Grandfather Mize, is said to be Scotch-Irish. Mccutchen (with the Mc?) would be Scotch?

              Do you have records back to the UK?

              Pat Foster

              In OK

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 27, 2012
                Yes we were Scotch.  I know where they came from- Isle of Sky in Scotland. Col. John Mccutchen is as far back as a paper trail in Alabama. He died 1835 in Jackson Co. Roger