RE: [jacksongenealogy] Why they moved!

  • Vicki L Hill
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 27, 2012
      In some cases they followed other relatives or friends who had already
      moved. These earlier leavers had either traveled back or written back to
      tell the rest of the family about what they had found further west.

      In other cases, it was just a matter of land. Families often had many
      children; you could only subdivide the family plot of land so many times
      before there wasn't enough left for a descendent to support his family on.

      Sometimes it was disease or a spate of bad luck. My Jackson County ancestors
      left in the 1870's after losing two young children to an epidemic.

      Don't just look for his surname in the area your ancestor migrated to. Look
      for related surnames as well. My ancestors' last name was Hill.but his
      wife's maiden name was Vandiver. Her uncle had already moved to Texas; after
      leaving Jackson County, they were next located in Denton County, Texas where
      her Vandiver uncle was living.

      Vicki Hill

      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 27, 2012
        Most of our relatives left their families to farm back then. As most
        families had 10 to 15 children and not enough land to support everyone the
        children had to move to find land. As lands opened up for homesteading they
        left to get land and improve themselves. It was actually the same reason
        our ancestors left their home lands and came to America. I have followied
        multiple generations of the Michaels, Rices, Roehrigs and Williams families
        and they all had family move to the midwest, Texas, Arkansas and many
        points West.
        Larry Williams

        --
        Larry G. Williams
        Co-Director, Agrimissions

      • Robert
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 27, 2012
          This is a tough question in my families, too. Here's what I know. Most of my families started to move out in the early 1850s. My 4th gr grandfather John Carr, took a land bounty in Carroll County, AR. His wife and two of his kids lived in Stone County, MO, located on the border of Carroll County. Another part of the Carr family moved to Stonefort, Pope County, IL. I don't understand the split up or the attraction of southeast IL. I do know that there was a road from Nashville to Ft. Massac IL.

          The Spence family left for southeast IL about 1852. I don't know why. The Keiths started leaving for southeast IL in the easrly 1850s. Land bounties again. The Dents started to leave for southeast IL about 1855. I have no idea why. Chappells left for southeast IL about 1850. No idea why. The Gambels left for Iowa and MO. I can't find land bounties for Iowa but for MO I did.

          One piece of speculation. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that part of the TN Valley had undergone a multi year drought. That might have prompted some to pick up and go. In fact, Williamson County IL was advertising for settlers stating that they had corn. I also understand that in the mid 1850s, an epidemic of some sort broke out. Other than that, who knows?

          Robert Schneider

          --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Roger" <burby9@...> wrote:

          > Hi, we probably already covered this? why did families leave there love ones and head to Arkansas and Tx? was it just land. My GG grandfather James Mccutchens whole family was in Jackson area. He is in 1870 census living with an uncle, next thing I find is he is in Forest City AR.1878 married and starting a family. Why leave all your love ones like that. He is the only Mccutchen I can find that headed to AR. I don't expect an answer just throwing it out there. Roger

        • John Green
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 27, 2012
            Roger,

            I can only speak for my kin folk's reason. In a letter that I have from late 1860s my GGGrandfather (Curtis McCollum) stated that "as soon as I can get a wagon, we can get out of this Tory hole", meaning the carpet bag government of the day. His health never allowed him to make the trip, but three of his sons did move to Arkansas around 1870 and on to Van Zant County TX in 1873. Most of their property had been confiscated by the Yankee occupation forces due to this family's assistance to Confederate raiders trying to interdict the Nashville - Chattanooga railroad. I think it was the lack of suitable farm land, the lack of cash money in the South, and the bitter feelings left over from the war. This family lived in the Francisco area with other kin in Lincoln and Franklin counties in TN. The Larkin creek fork of the Paint Rock river was Confederate, but the Estill Fork branch of this river were mostly Yankees. My father's family was confederate and my mother's were unionists.

            John McCollum Green

            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 27, 2012
              That is true. By the way are you related to the Abbotts Pat?
              There was a settlement below Langston called Coffeetown and so many left
              for Texas that the settlement closed ant they formed Langston. My great
              grandfather, Ervin Foster Rice was a Lt. in Alabama, 48th Regiment, Company
              K and he moved from Cherokee County to Jackson County after the Civil War.
              I have a family of Michaels that moved from Jackson County to Revilee,
              Arkansas and another Michaels family (several of them) moved to Texas.
              Larry Williams

              On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 2:01 AM, Pat Foster <pjf1946@...> wrote:

              > **
              >

              > Hi Roger,
              >
              > There are Civil War buffs that can tell you a great deal more about why
              > they
              > left Alabama than I can but I can tell you a reason or two.
              >
              > They left the 'South' after the Civil War because if they served or were
              > sympathetic to the Confederate side, they were 2nd class citizens when the
              > war was over.
              >
              > They were not allowed to vote in anything.
              >
              > My great grandfather, John M Russell, b in North Carolina, with connections
              > to Russells of Russell Cave was in Arkansas by 1870. Served in Civil War
              > and was held prisoner in Mississippi about a month before the war ended.
              >
              > His father, James Russell, (desc of Matthew Russell Jr) died about 1869. By
              > 1880 James's widow had followed John and family to Fulton/Baxter County
              > area
              > of Arkansas.
              >
              > So, there was more free land to be gotten in Arkansas and Texas. And, so
              > went there and regained their 'freedoms.'
              >
              > I have been told that Texas advertised for settlers for free land.
              >
              > Pat Foster in OKlahoma
              >
              > Russell and Lewis Green descendant of Jackson County

              Larry G. Williams
              Co-Director, Agrimissions
              43 Crisp Lane
              Trenton, GA 30752
              (423) 240-2089 Cell/Business
              lgwilliams1947@...
              http://agrimissions.com

            • Roger Burbank
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 27, 2012
                Hi, thanks for the great info giving by all. I could give my best guess and say James Mccutchen lost his father Calvin Walker Mccutchen in 1863, he was killed guarding the Sauta mines. James goes to live with uncle and probably knew he needed to head out on his own.  He is listed as a laborer in 1870 census at age 12. But he is mentioned in his grandfather and grandmothers probate, Joseph Mccutchen and Mary Tabitha Mccutchen. Calvin was killed only a few miles from his farm. He was killed at Coffee Town. Connecting surnames are Vann, Williams. Roger

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 27, 2012
                  Larry,

                  Is your Michaels family line the same one as those who lived at Langston, most of whom later moved to Scottsboro (Miss Cora Michaels' family )---the F.A. MIchaels family, or his brothers?

                  Clyde Broadway

                  --
                  Larry G. Williams
                  Co-Director, Agrimissions

                • Waynette Davis
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 27, 2012
                    What year or about what year did your family follow ggrandfather Wiley
                    Brewer to Texas. This whole migration to Texas and why and when issue is of
                    interests to me.

                    Waynette Davis

                  • Pat Foster
                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 27, 2012
                      Hi Larry,

                      I could be kin to most anybody in Jackson County and not know it.

                      I suppose you mean thru the Russells? The Russells there are in the cousin
                      category.

                      My grandfather was John M who moved from NC to Fulton/Baxter County areas of
                      Arkansas by 1870.

                      So, my direct line of Russells was never in Alabama that I am aware of.

                      My Lewis Green is a different story-but I don't know his kin there. Some
                      are saying Jeremiah was his father.

                      And, I think I saw where a Jeremiah Green is buried in Jackson County, but
                      if I remember correctly he was of a later generation than Lewis's father
                      would have been???

                      Is there a complete list of burials somewhere for Jackson County?

                      Thanks

                      Pat Foster

                      Or did you mean Fosters? There's a Lee J. back there about 1800 that is the
                      challenge-but they think he was NC or SC area and also went west.

                      He, or his son, maybe got land in Texas, as discussed. It is still in the
                      family. We visited there a couple of years ago.

                      <mailto:pjf1946%40cox.net> > wrote:

                      > **
                      >

                      > Hi Roger,
                      >
                      > There are Civil War buffs that can tell you a great deal more about why
                      > they
                      > left Alabama than I can but I can tell you a reason or two.
                      >
                      > They left the 'South' after the Civil War because if they served or were
                      > sympathetic to the Confederate side, they were 2nd class citizens when the
                      > war was over.
                      >
                      > They were not allowed to vote in anything.
                      >
                      > My great grandfather, John M Russell, b in North Carolina, with
                      connections
                      > to Russells of Russell Cave was in Arkansas by 1870. Served in Civil War
                      > and was held prisoner in Mississippi about a month before the war ended.
                      >
                      > His father, James Russell, (desc of Matthew Russell Jr) died about 1869.
                      By
                      > 1880 James's widow had followed John and family to Fulton/Baxter County
                      > area
                      > of Arkansas.
                      >
                      > So, there was more free land to be gotten in Arkansas and Texas. And, so
                      > went there and regained their 'freedoms.'
                      >
                      > I have been told that Texas advertised for settlers for free land.
                      >
                      > Pat Foster in OKlahoma
                      >
                      > Russell and Lewis Green descendant of Jackson County
                      >
                      > From: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
                      <mailto:jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.com>
                      > Subject: [jacksongenealogy] Why they moved!
                      >
                      > Hi, we probably already covered this? why did families leave there love
                      > ones
                      > and head to Arkansas and Tx? was it just land. My GG grandfather James
                      > Mccutchens whole family was in Jackson area. He is in 1870 census living
                      > with an uncle, next thing I find is he is in Forest City AR.1878 married
                      > and
                      > starting a family. Why leave all your love ones like that. He is the only
                      > Mccutchen I can find that headed to AR. I don't expect an answer just
                      > throwing it out there. Roger

                      Larry G. Williams
                      Co-Director, Agrimissions
                      43 Crisp Lane
                      Trenton, GA 30752
                      (423) 240-2089 Cell/Business
                      lgwilliams1947@... <mailto:lgwilliams1947%40gmail.com>
                      http://agrimissions.com

                    • billy hill
                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 27, 2012
                        my family moved to texas in 1912. do i understand you correctly that wiley brewer was your ggfather? my ggmother was margaret brewer, older sister of wiley brewer. she was married to thomas hill.

                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 28, 2012
                          Thanks, No my gggrandfather Wiley King left Jackson County, Alabama during
                          the whole decade of 1840-1850, going back and forth between there, Missouri,
                          Arkansas, and Arkansas and Arkansas finally...Fulton Co. settling there with
                          his family. His wife was Marie A. Rowen. Marie had a sister named Matilda
                          who married a Davenport Wiseman and had a daughter named Sophonia . Wiley
                          also had a brother named Meredith and sisters Elizabeth, Matilda and
                          Catherine and maybe other siblings. I do have the information on them from
                          the Heritage of Jackson County, Alabama. I welcome any connections you
                          know.

                          Waynette KING Davis

                        • Marge
                          Message 12 of 17 , Feb 28, 2012
                            My husband's Great Uncle James W. (Wm James/Jim..Big Jim to the family) married a lady named Martha Mattie Brewer & they lived in Ouchita Co ARK in 1900...and after that they moved to TX...San Jacinto county and Livingston/Galveston Tx area.

                            James W (Big Jim) was born in MO, His dad was James Mehlander Campbell born 1834-5 in Jackson County Alabama.
                            Big Jim (called this as he was elder son named James & when family thought him dead, named another son James Harvey Campbell..my hubby's grandpa, Little Jim).

                            Mattie Brewer Campbell's dad was in timber & that is where Big Jim met Mattie. They moved to Texas because of the Brewers work in Timber.

                            My Ancestry family files are under ecam82006a. I made the tree public...so you should be able to view it.

                            Also, Big Jim was a pastor in Livingston Texas.

                            Message 13 of 17 , Feb 28, 2012
                              Roger,

                              You wrote:

                              My Ancestry family files are under ecam82006a. I made the tree public...so
                              you should be able to view it.

                              Thank you for your very interesting and complete reply. It sounds very
                              promising, especially the James M.

                              Campbell.

                              How do I look up this file you mention above. I need some steps.

                              Is it on Ancestry.com or where?

                              Waynette Davis

                            • Marge
                              Message 14 of 17 , Feb 29, 2012
                                yes, it's on Ancestry.com

                                http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/49121/recent

                                Ellis Campbell b 1804 in VA (died 1881 in Missouri).

                                I also have one under world tree (also ancestry) & it's public. I don't like World Tree, as ancestry decided they could check for possible connections and add them to the tree...so there are a lot more errors on that tree.

                                Ellis Campbell b 1804 in VA (on all census'), was buried by a neighbor in Dec 1881 as Elias Campbell. Ellis' land records in MO are under Ellis Camel.

                                We have him (we think this is him) in 1830 in Lincoln county, TN census; 1840 in Ripley county, MO census; 1850-80 in Shannon county, MO census...after 1880, he moved to his daughter, Dorcas Campbell Hayward's home in Iron county, MO..where he died.

                                His children in 1850 were:

                                Wife in 1850 was Elizabeth Young Campbell b abt 1814 in TN or AL

                                1850 Shannon county MO census shows:

                                Matthew Campbell 17 (b 1832) AL(this & 1840 is only census he is ever shown on)
                                James M " 15 (b 1834) AL (this is James Mehlander "Mel" Campbell, my hubby's great grandpa..and on his Civil War papers, he had them correct his last name to Cambell & his place of birth was put as Jackson county, AL)
                                Ambrose " 14 (b 1835) AL(this & 1840 is only census he is shown on)
                                Derias " 10 (b 1840) MO (this is Dorcas, and a female..the census has her as a male)
                                Wesley " 8 b MO (on other census' he is listed as Wiley or Wilie)
                                Mary Ann " 6 b MO
                                Fontaine " 1 b MO

                                Other children born after 1850 were Elizabeth, Malinda, Dicey, Siney & Susie Belle.

                                James Mehlander (Millender) Campbell, was called Mel. He would get angry and call himself a "Dirty half breed"...we think Elizabeth Campbell was NOT his mother.
                                We find a marriage in Montgomery county AL for an Ellis Campbell to Parmelia Thompson in 1836 (also not Matthew or James mom).
                                On the 1830 census, Ellis has a wife his age, and 3 little girls (two under 5, and one under 10). We think this is the correct man..as James Mel said he named his first three little girls for his sisters who died...and those three girls also died. The other daughters of Ellis that we have on the census records all grew to adulthood and married.
                                James Mel married 1st to Nancy Ann Welborn (Willburn, etc)..she was the daughter of Arron & Mary Chronister Wellborn. They had 6 children..the 3 girls who died, and 3 sons, Elias, James William, and Ewing. Nancy died Nov 1874, and in 1881, he married Sarah Jane Sutton (b 1859). They had many children, including two Sarah had by unknown father...James' total children was 18. Two of the children were born two years after James Mel died. Times were hard and Sarah Jane did what she had to in order to feed her children. These twin girls were taken from her..as they were starving...one died, the other was adopted and came back years later. Some of the younger children, who were babies when James Mel died..also died of starvation.

                                It was the 2nd oldest son, James William (went by Jim...which is why James Mehlander went by Mel)...who moved in 1890 to Arkansas..worked in timber and met Martha Mattie Brewer, the daughter of the sawmill manager/owner. James Mel and Mattie came to MO for a visit in 1896, and had two girls with them, Cora and Pauline. Mattie was with child at that time. They never came back to MO. In 1900 we find James & his family in Ouchita county, ARK. The youngest was Barbara b 1897.

                                We lost them after that..until I got an email from a lady named Norva...she was looking for the family of her grandfather, James Wm Campbell. She asked if I had more info, as Ewing was known to be an elder brother of her grandfather. Her grandmother had told the children that James Wm was born in Madison Co,MO & his dad was a Hiram Campbell...which was in error.

                                After comparing the 1900 census, and those after, including the names of all the children, etc...we realized we had the right connections.
                                I asked Norva about Mattie...and she described her as I imagined her to be...a very proud and dignified lady, brought up with station in life (money)...she married Big Jim, and when she came to MO and realized his family was very poor..never wanted to go back. She probably made up Hiram...but I am looking at men named Hiram Campbell...just to be sure I don't miss a hint. Mattie didn't want her children looking for the family in MO at all..they were "beneath" her. Big Jim became a pastor in Livingston, TX. He had been a Sherrif at one time. He was shot and killed at his front door by a bootlegger. I have (thanks to Norva Lloyd) a copy of the court records...Big Jim died in 1936.
                                There were many children:
                                Cora A Campbell b 1892 ARK
                                Pauline " b 1895 ARK
                                Barbara " b 1897 ARK
                                Connie Talmadage Campbell b 1900 ARK (male)
                                Dorcas " b 1903 ARK
                                Ethel " b 1905 ARK
                                James III " b 1910 Polk county TX (died abt age 18?)

                                Big Jim and Mattie are buried in Forest Hill Cemetery, Livingston, TX

                                It's sad that both Big Jim and his brother Ewing died by being shot.
                                Ewing in 1926, shot by his son Edgar on the street in Bismarck, MO (self defense & in defense of his mom, Sophia Browers Campbell..Ewing had beaten her badly & Edgar was walking her to the doctor). It's sad that these two lives were cut short.

                                As I mentioned before...Big Jim was the older brother of James Harvey (Little Jim) Campbell...my husband, Lonnie Campbell's grandpa.

                                Marge