Re: : [jacksongenealogy] Kirk, King, Vaughn/Vaughan, Smith, Campbell

  • waynette_davis
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 26, 2012
      --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, clay gullatt
      <blackcloud27030@...> wrote:

      > Kaye
      >
      > Living with Merideth and Susan (Campbell) King on
      > the 1860 census is Elizabeth King 36 Female b. AL
      > Insane. I believe this is Merideth's sister and
      > this leads us to their father.
      >
      > 1850 Jackson County AL
      > William King 52 Farmer b.VA Married within the
      > yr.
      > Sarah 53 b.KY Married within the yr.
      > Elizabeth 25 b. AL
      > Malinda 23 b. AL
      > Catherine 13 b. AL
      >
      > So William is their father but Sarah is their
      > step-mother.
      >
      > William King is not on the 1860.
      >
      > I have followed Elizabeth King through the 1880
      > census where she is living in the Poor House and
      > still listed as insane.
      >
      > More census images today.
      >
      > Clay

      Clay, I know this is an older post above and I have verified the 1850
      and 1860 census and assume that

      William King's first wife Sarah was his only wife and the mother of
      Meredith, Elizabeth,Malinda and Catherine,

      since that census taker checked the "married within the year" box on ALL
      of the people he entered.

      Others have said that they think it is just the census taker's error in
      understanding the directions and I agree.

      Can you help me further though by telling me the location and type of
      census for 1880 I need to look in to find

      Elizabeth King in the Poor House and still listed as insane?

      Also I think Wiley King was the second child and possibly others may
      exist between Wiley and those 3 girls listed

      above. Do you know anything about that?

      Thank you,

      Waynette Davis
    • blackcloud27030@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 26, 2012
        Waynette

        I agree the tick marks in the 'married within the year' don't mean that. We don't know if it was something the census taker was keeping track of or whether it was add at the census office.

        Elizabeth King is listed as age 50 b. 1830 AL TN TN. Col: 17 18 19 were ticked with Col:18 being marked throuth. Col: 17 is Deaf and Dumb. Col: 18 Idiotic Col: 19 Insane.

        The info some what different but I am sure this is your Elizabeth King.

        I think she may well not have been insane but just unable to communicate with anyone.

        I don't have any info on Wiley King.

        If you can't find Elizabeth King, look for Pomelia Evins age 62 b.1818 TN she is the wife of the Poorhouse Master who is listed only with his last name Evins. This is Claborne and Permelia Evans from the 1870 Census. I have added a correction for them don't how fast ancestry enters it.

        Clay

        ________________________________
        > Living with Merideth and Susan (Campbell) King on
        > the 1860 census is Elizabeth King 36 Female b. AL
        > Insane. I believe this is Merideth's sister and
        > this leads us to their father.
        >
        > 1850 Jackson County AL
        > William King 52 Farmer b.VA Married within the
        > yr.
        > Sarah 53 b.KY Married within the yr.
        > Elizabeth 25 b. AL
        > Malinda 23 b. AL
        > Catherine 13 b. AL
        >
        > So William is their father but Sarah is their
        > step-mother.
        >
        > William King is not on the 1860.
        >
        > I have followed Elizabeth King through the 1880
        > census where she is living in the Poor House and
        > still listed as insane.
        >
        > More census images today.
        >
        > Clay

        Clay, I know this is an older post above and I have verified the 1850
        and 1860 census and assume that

        William King's first wife Sarah was his only wife and the mother of
        Meredith, Elizabeth,Malinda and Catherine,

        since that census taker checked the "married within the year" box on ALL
        of the people he entered.

        Others have said that they think it is just the census taker's error in
        understanding the directions and I agree.

        Can you help me further though by telling me the location and type of
        census for 1880 I need to look in to find

        Elizabeth King in the Poor House and still listed as insane?

        Also I think Wiley King was the second child and possibly others may
        exist between Wiley and those 3 girls listed

        above. Do you know anything about that?

        Thank you,

        Waynette Davis

      • deb
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 27, 2012
          waynette, your post touches me on at least three different levels--personally, professionally, and as one who enjoys the hobby of researching family. long ago many disorders were misunderstood and society wasn't equipped in dealing with disabilities, various health disorders, etc. this lack of understanding was as tough on the deaf population as anyone, (there's a plethora of info out there about just that,) and hard of hearing/deaf individuals almost always faced heartbreaking circumstances as a result. my guess is that if the deaf/mute column was checked on a census record, and then the insane column was checked as well, your ancestor didn't hear hardly at all which impacted on her ability to use spoken language too...and consequently someone judged her behavior as abnormal or whatever. i guess if any of us went through a lifetime not being understood and not being able to understand, someone might erroneously conclude we were crazy too. sometimes it's hard to make sense of these old records, but i hope sharing my experience and impressions will help. my best to you, deb

          --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, blackcloud27030@... wrote:

          > Waynette
          >
          > I agree the tick marks in the 'married within the year' don't mean that. We don't know if it was something the census taker was keeping track of or whether it was add at the census office.
          >
          > Elizabeth King is listed as age 50 b. 1830 AL TN TN. Col: 17 18 19 were ticked with Col:18 being marked throuth. Col: 17 is Deaf and Dumb. Col: 18 Idiotic Col: 19 Insane.
          >
          > The info some what different but I am sure this is your Elizabeth King.
          >
          > I think she may well not have been insane but just unable to communicate with anyone.
          >
          > I don't have any info on Wiley King.
          >
          > If you can't find Elizabeth King, look for Pomelia Evins age 62 b.1818 TN she is the wife of the Poorhouse Master who is listed only with his last name Evins. This is Claborne and Permelia Evans from the 1870 Census. I have added a correction for them don't how fast ancestry enters it.
          >
          > Clay
          >

          > ________________________________

        • deb
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 27, 2012
            p.s. waynette--check this out: (i apologize in advance for the length of what follows, but i think it demonstrates what a garbage can, meaningless category 'insanity' represents...)

            REASONS FOR ADMISSION

            WEST VIRGINIA HOSPITAL FOR THE INSANE (WESTON)

            OCTOBER 22, 1864 to DECEMBER 12, 1889

            Source cited by Majorie Carr: The First Log Book used at Weston;

            spelling, etc. just as written.

            GRIEF; CONSTITUTIONAL; ASTHMA; DOMESTIC TROUBLE; THE WAR; SUN STROKE; MASTURBATION FOR 30 YEARS; TROUBLE; DISSIPATION OF NERVES; FEVER & NERVED; INTERFERANCE; INTEMPERANCE; RELIGIOUS EXCITEMENT; AMENORRHEA; BUSINESS NERVES; FEVER; JEALOUSY; EXPOSURE IN ARMY; SELF ABUSE; VENERIAL EXCESSES; PUERPERAL; SHOOTING OF DAUGHTER; PARENTS WERE COUSINS; EXPOSURE & HEREDITARY; UTERINE DERANGEMENT; DEATH OF SONS IN THE WAR; IMPRISONMENT; POLITICAL EXCITEMENT; FEVER & LOSS OF LAW SUIT; GASTRITIS; DESERTION BY HUSBAND; SUPRESSION OF MENSES; DECOYED INTO THE ARMY; KICKED IN THE HEAD BY A HORSE; SUPERSTITION; BITE OF A RATTLE SNAKE; DOG BITE; SNUFF; FEEBLENESS OF INTELLECT; RUMOR OF HUSBAND'S MURDER OR DESERTION; MENTAL EXCITEMENT; DISAPPOINTMENT; JEALOUSY & RELIGION; SEDUCTION & DISSAPPOINTMENT; SEVERE LABOR; DISAPPOINTED LOVE; FITS & DESERTION OF HUSBAND; SUPRESSED MASTURBATION; DERANGED MASTURBATION; HARD STUDY; DROPSY; EFFUSION ON THE BRAIN; FALSE CONFINEMENT; SEXUAL ABUSE AND STIMULANTS; EXCITEMENT AS OFFICER; FALL FROM HORSE; DISAPPOINTED AFFECTION; COLD; INDIGESTION; BRAIN FEVER; CARBONIC ACID GAS; SEXUAL DERANGEMENT; FELL FROM HORSE; EXPOSURE IN ARMY; RELIGIOUS ENTHUSIASM; DISSOLUTE HABITS; LOSS OF ARM; ILL TREATMENT BY HUSBAND; SCARLATINA; SMALLPOX; HEREDITARY PREDISPOSITION; EPILEPTIC FITS; SOFTENING OF THE BRAIN; MENSTRUAL DERANGED; MASTURBATION & SYPHILLIS; GATHERING IN THE HEAD; BAD COMPANY; SUNSTROKE; CARBUNCLE; OVER HEAT; BAD HABITS & POLITICAL EXCITEMENT; DOMESTIC AFFLICTION; PECUNIARY LOSSES: WORMS; CONGETION OF BRAIN; REMORSE; MILK FEVER; OPIUM HABIT; CRIME; NOVEL READING; EGOTISM; SALVATION ARMY; IMAGINARY FEMALE TROUBLE; DIPTHERIA; THE WAR; EXPOSURE & QUACKERY; SPINAL IRRITATION; SNUFF EATING FOR TWO YEARS; PERIODICAL FITS; TABACCO & MASTURBATION: HYSTERIA; FEMALE DISEASE; GUNSHOT WOUND; LIVER AND SOCIAL DISEASE; SEDUCTION; KICK OF HORSE; VICIOUS VICES IN EARLY LIFE; BLOODY FLUX; POLITICS; WOMEN; DOUBY ABOUT MOTHER'S ANCESTORS; NYMPHOMANIA; MORAL SANITY; GREEDINESS; EXCESSIVE SEXUAL ABUSE; FIGHTING FIRE; BAD WHISKEY; WOMEN TROUBLE; OVER ACTION ON THE MIND; EXPLOSION OF SHELL NEARBY; MARRIAGE OF SON; MEDICINE TO PREVENT CONCEPTION; OVER STUDY OF RELIGION; IMMORAL LIFE; TIME OF LIFE; YOUNG LADY & FEAR; CEREBRAL SOFTENING; LAZINESS; OVER TAXING MENTAL POWERS.

          • Waynette Davis
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 27, 2012
              I do so appreciate your thoughts on the census listing for Elizabeth King.

              Your compassion and caring thoughts about those who were so "misunderstood"

              gives me a lift today today that I needed. Waynette Davis.