Re: [jacksongenealogy] brickwalls

  • Betty Pigg
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 26, 2012
      This happened in my family also, my grandmother was given the name Emily Lee Smith at birth, but went by Dollie Mae Smith, She said her mother had named her Emily Lee at birth but her daddy told her mother that she looked like a little doll so he started calling her Dollie, her mother was the only one who called her Emily Lee and after granny started school her mother changed to Dollie, and she decided when she was about school age she liked  the name Mae so she started telling everyone her name was Dollie Mae Smith,

      Betty
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 21, 2012
        I understand what you dealt with.  I have a great-great-great uncle who had two sets of two names.  His tombstone has one set and my Grandmother always called him by another name.  Unfortunately, I was a lot younger then and never asked why she called him by a different name.

        We have to stay on our toes as researchers.

        Jackie Morgan

        Genealogist & Quilter

        I hear ethereal whispers, persuasive, soft and still,
        “Daughter, if you don’t remember us, who will?”…
                                 ...Unknown.

        A year from now you are going to wish you had started today!

        I have no idea if any more family has done this but I know of one that has. My Great Grandmother had a given name and was known all her life by another name that was not a nickname nor a version of her given name. I have yet to find a legal change of name. Her given name was Sarah Elizabeth King. She was known as Ethel King. She got married to Roy Andrew Waldrop using Sarah Elizabeth King. After that point the only legal documents that I find have her listed as Ethel K.Waldrop. Have no clue as to why the name change but it sure does make it very difficult researching the family.

        I hope this helps someone look at their brick walls a little differently. I "tripped" over two people until I finally realized it was the same person.

        Joetta

      • Waynette Davis
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 21, 2012
          Sarah Elizabeth King. She was known as Ethel King.

          These relatives of yours with different names ....can you give us some dates
          and places to go with them

          I have some Elizabeth Kings and Sarah Kings and Ethel Kings in my family but
          need names of locals and birth and death approximates to see if there is any
          connection.

          Waynette Davis