Re: [jacksongenealogy] Re: Trenton Area General Store Records

  • Larry Williams
    Message 1 of 27 , Jan 24, 2012
      Any Michaels, Kings, Rice?
      Larry Williams

      On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 6:56 PM, Waynette Davis <wmddavis@...>wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Are there any King's on your ledgers of James M. Campbell's store?
      >
      > Is he the same James M. Campbell referred to by Ann Chambless and Paralee
      > Moody on page 122 of the book,
      >
      > ""The Heritage of Jackson County, Alabama".? The book is sold by the
      > Jackson Alabama Heritage group I believe. I found it in a library.
      >
      > This James M. Campbell was from Tennessee as well but married a Jenny
      > Elledge?
      >
      > I'd appreciate your letting me know if I should pursue this by letting me
      > know if this
      >
      > is NOT a connection.
      >
      > Waynette Davis

      Larry G. Williams
      Co-Director, Agrimissions
      43 Crisp Lane
      Trenton, GA 30752
      (423) 240-2089 Cell/Business
      lgwilliams1947@...
      http://agrimissions.com

    • Waynette Davis
      Message 2 of 27 , Jan 24, 2012
        Thanks Ann, for distinguishing this James from your James Campbell. . You
        are always such a help. I am still trying to find my William King's father
        and mother and my Sarah ?'s mother and father. Any ideas about how I need
        to approach this?

        I seem to be stuck. Waynette

      • cagle8185@aol.com
        Message 3 of 27 , Jan 25, 2012
          Who knows what building are listed on the national registry, in Paint Rock Valley? Are the general stores listed?

          Bjll Cagle

        • cagle8185@aol.com
          Message 4 of 27 , Jan 25, 2012
            The Paint Rock Valley was put on the National Registry of Historical Places in Oct 2011, as I understand it. Some buildings are listed and others are not. My question is who controls this list?

            Bill Cagle

            Go to the Paint Rock web site or the county it is in and it should tell you - do you man the National Historical Registry, I don't think I have heard of just the 'national registry', also if something is not listed, you can try to get it registered.
            delilah
            Message 5 of 27 , Jan 25, 2012
              Judy Prince was the overall coordinator of the PRV group who researched
              and wrote the supporting documents for the National Register of Historic
              Places application for the Valley. She had volunteer help via the Jackson
              County Historical Association and a group of Sanford University students
              (supervised by their history professor at Sanford).
              Judy allowed me to re-publish the history documents for several of the
              houses included in the application in one issue of THE JACKSON COUNTY
              CHRONICLES.
              Ann B. Chambless
            • Delilah
              Message 6 of 27 , Jan 26, 2012
                Got any EVANS, AVANS, TINKER in the book?
                delilah
                Message 7 of 27 , Jan 26, 2012

                  Message 8 of 27 , Jan 26, 2012
                    Clay, do you have info on the Prince store at Estill Fork. It was the P. O. for many years and I am sure they have loads of info. I know they are also doing research on the people in the valley.

                    Bill Cagle

                    Message 9 of 27 , Jan 26, 2012
                      Jim- I looked thru Dr. Brewer's medical ledger for 1885 and found a Crawley. He had written the name as Geso(?) Crawley. Dr. Brewer had beautiful handwriting but tended to spell names phonetically. So Geso could be Jess. He made 6 house calls between Jan and Aug of 1885. 4 for him and one for his son. There was also a Henry Robingson (Robinson ?) 14 house cals between Sept 1885 and Dec 1885 4 for his son and 7 for him Dr. Brewer charged $1.00 for some calls and $1.50 for others. Still no Kennamers

                      Harris

                      --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Jim Turner <jimt35769@...> wrote:

                      > I had ancestors living in the Trenton area and would appreciate you checking Mr Brewer's records for any Crawley, Kennamer or Robinson entries....Thank you! Jim Turner
                      >

                      > ________________________________

                    • Jim Turner
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jan 26, 2012
                        Thanks for your feedback, Harris!  My John Ed Crawley had a son, Oliver, born in early 1885 which may have been a reason for those calls.  George Cad Crawley, five yrs old, may have had some sickness then also.  Henry Robinson, the brother of John Ed's wife, Phoebe, was probably coming down with an illness which caused his demise in 1887.  Did Dr Brewer include any medical notes regarding the nature of the calls?  Thanks, Jim Turner
                        Jim- I looked thru Dr. Brewer's medical ledger for 1885 and found a Crawley. He had written the name as Geso(?) Crawley. Dr. Brewer had beautiful handwriting but tended to spell names phonetically. So Geso could be Jess. He made 6 house calls between Jan and Aug of 1885. 4 for him and one for his son. There was also a Henry Robingson (Robinson ?) 14 house cals between Sept 1885 and Dec 1885 4 for his son and 7 for him Dr. Brewer charged $1.00 for some calls and $1.50 for others. Still no Kennamers

                        Harris

                        --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Jim Turner <jimt35769@...> wrote:

                        > I had ancestors living in the Trenton area and would appreciate you checking Mr Brewer's records for any Crawley, Kennamer or Robinson entries....Thank you! Jim Turner

                      • HarrisA
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jan 28, 2012
                          No. The entries are brief. He would indicate the date,which member of the family he visited, i.e. wife, son, daughter, etc and how much he charged. He would also indicate if he gave medicine but not the type. He would also indicate when payments were made on accounts and method, e.g. cash, corn etc. he probably kept a separate journal for diagnosis and type of treatment.

                          --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Jim Turner <jimt35769@...> wrote:

                          > Thanks for your feedback, Harris!  My John Ed Crawley had a son, Oliver, born in early 1885 which may have been a reason for those calls.  George Cad Crawley, five yrs old, may have had some sickness then also.  Henry Robinson, the brother of John Ed's wife, Phoebe, was probably coming down with an illness which caused his demise in 1887.  Did Dr Brewer include any medical notes regarding the nature of the calls?  Thanks, Jim Turner

                        • Elisha Brewer
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jan 31, 2012
                            What is Dr. Brewer's full name, please?