Trenton Area General Store Records

  • HarrisA
    Message 1 of 27 , Jan 21, 2012
      My wife's great-grandfather, Joseph M. Brewer, lived in the Trenton area of Jackson County from about 1885 until 1905. He maintained a medical practice as well as a general store, J. M. Brewer and Brothers, in that area. He left AL and moved to Arkansas leaving behind the ledgers for both the general store and his medical practice with his son-in-law, Robert Enochs. These books have been passed down thru the family to my wife and her brother.
      Since they cover a period around 1890 they provide a record of some of the people who were living in the Trenton area of Paint Rock Valley at that time filling in the void left by the loss of the 1890 census. As time permits, I plan to provide a list of the people who had accounts with the store during the period of March 1887 until Fall, 1891. Each of the account sheets lists the transactions by date with a brief description of items and costs.
      I'm beginning with surnames starting with A, B, and C. As you will note the names are not in alphabetical order but are in the order in which an individual opened an account and indexed by first letter of the account name. If you see the name of a relative let me know and I'll post a copy of the page.

      A's: Archey, Mrs. Nancy; Austin, Mrs. Rebecca J.; Austin, Robert C.; Atchley, Benjamin; Auston, G.O.

      B's: Brewer, F.M.; Bingham, Lewis; Brower, J.M.; Blasingame, Susan; Bingham, J.R.; Berry, Thomas F.; Brown, Andy; Bingham, A.J.; Berry, Joseph; Bingham, James; Berry, William, Bingham, Perry; Bridges, John O.; Beason, James A.; Bridges, Robert; Brown, Charles; Bridges, Granvel
      C's: Cobb, W.M.; Cardin, L.W.; Clay, James; Cardin, J.L.; Culver, Thomas M.; Carden, J.R.; Caffey, Perry; Carden, Mark; Cathrine, Mart; Carden, Thomas; Cochrin, J.M. and Carden, Thomas; Carden, Frank
    • blackcloud27030@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 27 , Jan 22, 2012
        This is Trenton in the Paint Rock Valley of Jackson County AL.

        Clay

        ________________________________
        Do you mean Trenton as in Trenton, Dade County, Georgia, if so I have the History of Dade county, Ga bopok.
        delilah evans

        Message 3 of 27 , Jan 22, 2012
          I had ancestors living in the Trenton area and would appreciate you checking Mr Brewer's records for any Crawley, Kennamer or Robinson entries....Thank you! Jim Turner

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 27 , Jan 22, 2012

            Message 5 of 27 , Jan 23, 2012
              Are there two Trentons (one in Dade Co., GA, and one in Jackson Co.,
              AL) or are they the same place, straddling two counties in two states?
              I have Jacoway ancestors who lived in Trenton, GA.

              Thank you,
              Anne Johnson

              Message 6 of 27 , Jan 23, 2012
                Two different locations. Trenton, Jackson Co. AL is in the western part of Jackson Co. in the Paint River Valley. You have to cross most of Jackson Co. AL to get from Trenton, GA to Trenton, AL.

                Clay

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 27 , Jan 23, 2012
                  Thanks, Clay.

                  On Jan 23, 2012, at 2:52 PM, blackcloud27030@... wrote:

                  > Two different locations. Trenton, Jackson Co. AL is in the western
                  > part of Jackson Co. in the Paint River Valley. You have to cross
                  > most of Jackson Co. AL to get from Trenton, GA to Trenton, AL.
                  >
                  > Clay
                  >

                  > ________________________________

                • Delilah
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jan 24, 2012
                    thanks, that should clear that up

                    Message 9 of 27 , Jan 24, 2012
                      http://sherpaguides.com/georgia/mountains/cumberland_plateau/cumberland_plateau.html

                      I know that there is a Trenton, Dade County, Georgia (not familiar with the other) my daddy's family were from Dade County, Ga., and over the mountain is Walker County, Ga., my daddy was born in a coal mine community called Durham on Durham Road off the road going to Chattanooga on top of the mountain. I don't know if it is two counties straddling two states, as you mantioned, but I would not think so. I have the book "History of Dade County, Ga.,"(Which is a new book) I can see if your names are listed in that book. I am not sure if I have The Heritage of Jackson County, Al.", I can check and if so, will check for any articles with your names. If you can pull up a map, in the very NW Cty of Ga is Dade & Walker Counties, if it also has Alabama on it, you may see where Jackson County, Al is. I have lots of maps and when I get time, I will also look.
                      delilah evans
                      kathleen, ga

                      Message 10 of 27 , Jan 24, 2012
                        Thanks, Delilah. My family is the Jacoways. Would love you to do a
                        quick lookup - thank you for offering.

                        I am also interested in Andrew Smith and his wife Mary Catherine
                        Phillips/Shannon (we are not sure of the maiden name). He may be
                        buried in Trenton Cemetery. They also intermarried with Shooks, and
                        possibly Middletons and Taylors.

                        Thank you!
                        anne

                        p.s. Where is Kathleen? Sounds familiar, but i can't place it.

                      • willied53
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jan 24, 2012
                          My GGGrandfather, James M. Campbell apparently ran a general store in Trenton in the 1840's. I have what is left of an old ledger containing names and items charged to accounts. Some of the names are John Berry, William Berry, Sam Berry, Em Bingham, Edward Kirkpatrick, Jonathan Gilliland, E.A. Flanagan, J.L. Smith. The date on this is 1848.

                          Does anyone know about this store or James M. Campbell? I think they moved around the area sometimes being in Madison Co. and in Franklin Tenn. James was married to, I believe, Jane Toney and are buried at Maples Cemetery, Hollytree. His son Richard. 55th Ala inf., Co D, and wife Alabama Louisa Poston move to Texas in 1890's.

                        • Tnjoann@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jan 24, 2012
                            Do you have any Beasley's in your ledger or Gentry's? My GGGrandfather
                            Also Watson Beasley was born in Virginia in about 1805. Had land patents in
                            Jackson Co Alabama 1835 and 1838. He stayed there until about 1848 and
                            went to TN.

                            Other names I am interested in are
                            Jonathan Thomas Beasley (land patent same day and next to Also Watson
                            Beasley .

                            William W Beasley was a neighbor to Also Watson Beasley in 1840 ... maybe
                            connected.

                            Bartlett Gentry, Jessee Gentry, John Gentry, Joiner or Joyner Gentry
                            These men all had land patents in Alabama, some of them came from TN and ended
                            up back in TN near my Beasley's... even in the same cemetery... so I think
                            they are connected some way.

                          • cagle8185@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jan 24, 2012
                              I went through Trenton today and looked at some of the old buildings. Do you know the location of the old stores? Several buildings appear to be old stores.

                              Bill Cagle

                              My GGGrandfather, James M. Campbell apparently ran a general store in Trenton in the 1840's. I have what is left of an old ledger containing names and items charged to accounts. Some of the names are John Berry, William Berry, Sam Berry, Em Bingham, Edward Kirkpatrick, Jonathan Gilliland, E.A. Flanagan, J.L. Smith. The date on this is 1848.

                              Does anyone know about this store or James M. Campbell? I think they moved around the area sometimes being in Madison Co. and in Franklin Tenn. James was married to, I believe, Jane Toney and are buried at Maples Cemetery, Hollytree. His son Richard. 55th Ala inf., Co D, and wife Alabama Louisa Poston move to Texas in 1890's.

                              --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "HarrisA" <harrisa@...> wrote:

                              > My wife's great-grandfather, Joseph M. Brewer, lived in the Trenton area of Jackson County from about 1885 until 1905. He maintained a medical practice as well as a general store, J. M. Brewer and Brothers, in that area. He left AL and moved to Arkansas leaving behind the ledgers for both the general store and his medical practice with his son-in-law, Robert Enochs. These books have been passed down thru the family to my wife and her brother.
                              > Since they cover a period around 1890 they provide a record of some of the people who were living in the Trenton area of Paint Rock Valley at that time filling in the void left by the loss of the 1890 census. As time permits, I plan to provide a list of the people who had accounts with the store during the period of March 1887 until Fall, 1891. Each of the account sheets lists the transactions by date with a brief description of items and costs.
                              > I'm beginning with surnames starting with A, B, and C. As you will note the names are not in alphabetical order but are in the order in which an individual opened an account and indexed by first letter of the account name. If you see the name of a relative let me know and I'll post a copy of the page.
                              >
                              > A's: Archey, Mrs. Nancy; Austin, Mrs. Rebecca J.; Austin, Robert C.; Atchley, Benjamin; Auston, G.O.
                              >
                              > B's: Brewer, F.M.; Bingham, Lewis; Brower, J.M.; Blasingame, Susan; Bingham, J.R.; Berry, Thomas F.; Brown, Andy; Bingham, A.J.; Berry, Joseph; Bingham, James; Berry, William, Bingham, Perry; Bridges, John O.; Beason, James A.; Bridges, Robert; Brown, Charles; Bridges, Granvel
                              > C's: Cobb, W.M.; Cardin, L.W.; Clay, James; Cardin, J.L.; Culver, Thomas M.; Carden, J.R.; Caffey, Perry; Carden, Mark; Cathrine, Mart; Carden, Thomas; Cochrin, J.M. and Carden, Thomas; Carden, Frank

                            • Waynette Davis
                              Message 14 of 27 , Jan 24, 2012
                                Are there any King's on your ledgers of James M. Campbell's store?

                                Is he the same James M. Campbell referred to by Ann Chambless and Paralee
                                Moody on page 122 of the book,

                                ""The Heritage of Jackson County, Alabama".? The book is sold by the
                                Jackson Alabama Heritage group I believe. I found it in a library.

                                This James M. Campbell was from Tennessee as well but married a Jenny
                                Elledge?

                                I'd appreciate your letting me know if I should pursue this by letting me
                                know if this

                                is NOT a connection.

                                Waynette Davis

                              • Ann B Chambless
                                Message 15 of 27 , Jan 24, 2012
                                  The James M. Campbell in Trenton, Al, is not the same James Campbell who
                                  lived at Greasy Cove west of Hollywood, Alabama. Therefore, the Campbell
                                  Store in Trenton has no relation to Meredith King.
                                  Ann B. Chambless
                                • Larry Williams
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jan 24, 2012
                                    Any Michaels, Kings, Rice?
                                    Larry Williams

                                    On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 6:56 PM, Waynette Davis <wmddavis@...>wrote:

                                    > **
                                    >

                                    > Are there any King's on your ledgers of James M. Campbell's store?
                                    >
                                    > Is he the same James M. Campbell referred to by Ann Chambless and Paralee
                                    > Moody on page 122 of the book,
                                    >
                                    > ""The Heritage of Jackson County, Alabama".? The book is sold by the
                                    > Jackson Alabama Heritage group I believe. I found it in a library.
                                    >
                                    > This James M. Campbell was from Tennessee as well but married a Jenny
                                    > Elledge?
                                    >
                                    > I'd appreciate your letting me know if I should pursue this by letting me
                                    > know if this
                                    >
                                    > is NOT a connection.
                                    >
                                    > Waynette Davis

                                    Larry G. Williams
                                    Co-Director, Agrimissions
                                    43 Crisp Lane
                                    Trenton, GA 30752
                                    (423) 240-2089 Cell/Business
                                    lgwilliams1947@...
                                    http://agrimissions.com

                                  • Waynette Davis
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Jan 24, 2012
                                      Thanks Ann, for distinguishing this James from your James Campbell. . You
                                      are always such a help. I am still trying to find my William King's father
                                      and mother and my Sarah ?'s mother and father. Any ideas about how I need
                                      to approach this?

                                      I seem to be stuck. Waynette

                                    • cagle8185@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Jan 25, 2012
                                        Who knows what building are listed on the national registry, in Paint Rock Valley? Are the general stores listed?

                                        Bjll Cagle

                                      • cagle8185@aol.com
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Jan 25, 2012
                                          The Paint Rock Valley was put on the National Registry of Historical Places in Oct 2011, as I understand it. Some buildings are listed and others are not. My question is who controls this list?

                                          Bill Cagle

                                          Go to the Paint Rock web site or the county it is in and it should tell you - do you man the National Historical Registry, I don't think I have heard of just the 'national registry', also if something is not listed, you can try to get it registered.
                                          delilah
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Jan 25, 2012
                                            Judy Prince was the overall coordinator of the PRV group who researched
                                            and wrote the supporting documents for the National Register of Historic
                                            Places application for the Valley. She had volunteer help via the Jackson
                                            County Historical Association and a group of Sanford University students
                                            (supervised by their history professor at Sanford).
                                            Judy allowed me to re-publish the history documents for several of the
                                            houses included in the application in one issue of THE JACKSON COUNTY
                                            CHRONICLES.
                                            Ann B. Chambless
                                          • Delilah
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Jan 26, 2012
                                              Got any EVANS, AVANS, TINKER in the book?
                                              delilah

                                              Message 22 of 27 , Jan 26, 2012

                                                Message 23 of 27 , Jan 26, 2012
                                                  Clay, do you have info on the Prince store at Estill Fork. It was the P. O. for many years and I am sure they have loads of info. I know they are also doing research on the people in the valley.

                                                  Bill Cagle

                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Jan 26, 2012
                                                    Jim- I looked thru Dr. Brewer's medical ledger for 1885 and found a Crawley. He had written the name as Geso(?) Crawley. Dr. Brewer had beautiful handwriting but tended to spell names phonetically. So Geso could be Jess. He made 6 house calls between Jan and Aug of 1885. 4 for him and one for his son. There was also a Henry Robingson (Robinson ?) 14 house cals between Sept 1885 and Dec 1885 4 for his son and 7 for him Dr. Brewer charged $1.00 for some calls and $1.50 for others. Still no Kennamers

                                                    Harris

                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Jan 26, 2012
                                                      Thanks for your feedback, Harris!  My John Ed Crawley had a son, Oliver, born in early 1885 which may have been a reason for those calls.  George Cad Crawley, five yrs old, may have had some sickness then also.  Henry Robinson, the brother of John Ed's wife, Phoebe, was probably coming down with an illness which caused his demise in 1887.  Did Dr Brewer include any medical notes regarding the nature of the calls?  Thanks, Jim Turner

                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Jan 28, 2012
                                                        No. The entries are brief. He would indicate the date,which member of the family he visited, i.e. wife, son, daughter, etc and how much he charged. He would also indicate if he gave medicine but not the type. He would also indicate when payments were made on accounts and method, e.g. cash, corn etc. he probably kept a separate journal for diagnosis and type of treatment.

                                                        --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Jim Turner <jimt35769@...> wrote:

                                                        > Thanks for your feedback, Harris!  My John Ed Crawley had a son, Oliver, born in early 1885 which may have been a reason for those calls.  George Cad Crawley, five yrs old, may have had some sickness then also.  Henry Robinson, the brother of John Ed's wife, Phoebe, was probably coming down with an illness which caused his demise in 1887.  Did Dr Brewer include any medical notes regarding the nature of the calls?  Thanks, Jim Turner

                                                      • Elisha Brewer
                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Jan 31, 2012
                                                          What is Dr. Brewer's full name, please?