Paint Rock Vally School at Princeton AL

  • blackcloud27030@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 21, 2012
      I found a article online at al.com from Nov 2009 that says the Princeton was build in 1935. They were considering closeing it in 2009 because of low enrollment (95 students) and high cost of running the school the most expensive in Jackson Co. twice as much per pupil as other schools in Jackson Co. So they have been considering this for the past 3 years. The K thru 6th grade classes were combined and taught by 3 teachers.

    • cagle8185@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 21, 2012
        The folks who live in the valley are charged the same taxes but do not have the same services as other parts of the county. The school is about it. If they close it, I guess we will not need to pay taxes. Ha Ha.

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 21, 2012
          The article did point out that many of the people who live in the valley do bus their children to Skyline Schools that's 12 miles away and Woodville Schools 22 miles away both with over 500 pupil enrollments where many more diverse courses are offered.

          In Mount Airy and Surry Co. NC we have replaced all our old 1910/20/30/40s buildings with new school buildings and turned the old schools into community centers with sport fields which knit the local communities together much better than when the buildings were schools. Might be a model for Jackson Co. to look at rather than destroying the old buildings.

          Clay

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 21, 2012
            Clay, the school bus goes around Round Mountain about 6:50 and returns about 7:00. I live 9 miles north of Princeton. If you add this to the other schools to the south you would have 21 to 31 miles one way for school transportation, from my house but bus runs to the north another 5 minutes (2 miles) from where I live. These are winding, 2 lane, narrow, mountain roads with a 35 mph speed limit posted. With the stops and speed through the mountains the kids would be spending 4 to 5 hours on the bus. Please help us keep the school where it is. It is the smallest K to 12 school in the state but still part of the valley and history.

            Bill Cagle

            The folks who live in the valley are charged the same taxes but do not have the same services as other parts of the county. The school is about it. If they close it, I guess we will not need to pay taxes. Ha Ha.

            I found a article online at al.com from Nov 2009 that says the Princeton was build in 1935. They were considering closeing it in 2009 because of low enrollment (95 students) and high cost of running the school the most expensive in Jackson Co. twice as much per pupil as other schools in Jackson Co. So they have been considering this for the past 3 years. The K thru 6th grade classes were combined and taught by 3 teachers.

          • Jewel Casey
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 21, 2012
              I do not understand why they are even considering closing the school at Princeton. Where would the kids go to school who live near the TN line and so far from Scottsboro? Parents who work do not have the time to transport or to pay someone to carry them to and from school. You're right they pay taxes just like everyone else, so the school should stay open with excellent teachers like they've always had, of course I have no say in this matter except the fact that I was getting an excellent education there. Riding a bus doesn't hurt a child, it keeps them out of mischief!

              Jewel

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 22, 2012
                I heard this for many years when we use to live in Skyline
                that they was closing Woodville,Skyline and Paint Rock
                so they could convert all the 3 schools together.Which as a parent of 2
                teenager boys i dont think it is fair to the kids or parents to close
                any of the schools.We set here and see schools that dont need to
                have new schools built and then they cannot even fond schools that need
                help to keep them running.it isnt fair.Pam F.

                The folks who live in the valley are charged the same taxes but do not have the same services as other parts of the county. The school is about it. If they close it, I guess we will not need to pay taxes. Ha Ha.

                I found a article online at al.com from Nov 2009 that says the Princeton was build in 1935. They were considering closeing it in 2009 because of low enrollment (95 students) and high cost of running the school the most expensive in Jackson Co. twice as much per pupil as other schools in Jackson Co. So they have been considering this for the past 3 years. The K thru 6th grade classes were combined and taught by 3 teachers.

              • Delilah
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 22, 2012
                  You might try the State of Alabama Department of Education for the history of the schools. I do believe they ave to be licensed.
                  delilah evans