RE: [jacksongenealogy] John Selby / Selvey / Silvey b. AL 1857

  • Jimmie Ryan
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 18, 2012
      Could the one in Oktibbeha, MS be your John, it appears the other one in
      Jackson is known by Clay....

      1870 United States Federal Census about John S Selby

      Name: John S Selby
      Age in 1870: 14
      Birth Year: abt 1856
      Birthplace: Alabama
      Home in 1870: Police Beat 5, Oktibbeha, Mississippi
      Race: White
      Gender: Male
      Post Office: Choctaw Agency

      1870 United States Federal Census about John H Selvy
      Name: John H Selvy
      [John H Selby]
      [John Higgins Selby]
      Age in 1870: 9
      Birth Year: abt 1861
      Birthplace: Alabama
      Home in 1870: Subdivision 3, Jackson, Alabama
      Race: White
      Gender: Male
      Post Office: Scottsboro

      Corrections coming in from: Selby rather than Selvy
      The original data on the record is incorrect.
      Submitted by ClayGullatt on 7/23/2010

      John Higgins Selby rather than John H Selvy
      Added a variation of the recorded data.
      Submitted by ClayGullatt on 7/23/2010

      Here is the 1860:

      1860 United States Federal Census about L J Selvy
      Name: L J Selvy
      [L J Selby]
      [L J Selby]
      Age in 1860: 1
      Birth Year: abt 1859
      Birthplace: Alabama
      Home in 1860: District 3, Jackson, Alabama
      Gender: Female

      Household Members:
      Name Age
      J O Selvy 27
      M A J Selvy 24
      G W Selvy 3
      L J Selvy 1

      1860 United States Federal Census about John Selby

      Name: John Selby
      Age in 1860: 6
      Birth Year: abt 1854
      Birthplace: Alabama
      Home in 1860: Oktibbeha, Mississippi
      Gender: Male
      Post Office: Starkville

      Household Members:
      Name Age
      Benjamin Selby 51
      Mary Selby 40
      Sarah Selby 21
      Joshua Selby 16
      Owen Selby 14
      Thomas Selby 12
      Josiah Selby 10
      John Selby 6
      Leander Selby 4
      David Selby 6/12

      1860 United States Federal Census about John H Selby
      Name: John H Selby
      Age in 1860: 6
      Birth Year: abt 1854
      Birthplace: Tennessee
      Home in 1860: District 4, Cumberland, Tennessee
      Gender: Male
      Post Office: Ormes Store

      Household Members:
      Name Age
      Shanuel Selby 35
      Elizabeth Selby 33
      James L Selby 14
      Daniel J Selby 10
      William Selby 9
      John H Selby 6
      Rebecca A Selby 4
      Mary T Selby 1
    • blackcloud27030@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 19, 2012
        Not John Higgins Selby he mar. cousin Mary Ann Harper and he died 1917 in Jackson County.

        Not John S.(Simmons) Selby he mar. Susan Alice Rhodes they are listed on the 1880 Panola Co. MS and the 1900/10/20 Tallahatchie Co. MS Census.

        There is a John G. Shelby listed on the 1870 Grenada Co. MS census with a age of 6 but there is a pen stroke in front of it. Found him no where else.

        Clay

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 20, 2012
          Thanks for the replies. I checked all 3 names. Hadn't previously concentrated on "Shelby" variation- lots of MS records there. Correction for the 1876 marriage record: name was "J G Silvey".
          David Selvey