Re: [jacksongenealogy] Bootlegging - Moonshining

  • clyde broadway
    Message 1 of 28 , Dec 22, 2011
      I know that place. I heard stories about it from friends on our trips up to "Redbuck's".

      From: cagle8185@... <mailto:cagle8185%40aol.com>; <cagle8185@...
      <mailto:cagle8185%40aol.com>; >
      To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
      <mailto:jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.com>;
      Date: Wednesday, December 21, 2011, 9:20 AM

      The Blood Bucket was the Cat Stovall place and is in Tennessee. The building
      is still there and about 1 1/2 miles across the state line. If you go up the
      valley on Al. 65 and cross the line, into Tennessee there is a concrete
      block building on the left, just before a sharp curve. This building has no
      windows and is painted red. This was the Blood Bucket and ran by "Cat" with
      a shotgun and a base ball bat. It was still open in the early 70's.

      I lived in Memphis at the time but also owned the land called the "Cagle
      Place", three miles into Alabama on Al 65. When I was in the area I would
      stop in and have a beer with Cat and he would tell stories about his past.
      He sold beer and moonshine there and had no beverage permit. He was a true
      hillbilly and moon shiner character.

      He made shine most of his life but retired and opened up the Blood Bucket
      after his third trip up the river. What he was doing, at the Blood Bucket
      was not legal, but the beer had taxes paid on it and was not covered by
      federal law.

      The state law got him, one time because he had 44 cases of beer in his
      position. When he went to court, the judge ask why he had the beer? He said
      he kept a few around for his friends. The judge ask "44 cases"? Cat said
      "judge you must understand that I have a lot of friends"

      Bill Cagle

      From: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
      From: "cagle8185@... <mailto:cagle8185%40aol.com>;
      <mailto:cagle8185%40aol.com>;; " <cagle8185@...
      <mailto:cagle8185%40aol.com>;
      <mailto:cagle8185%40aol.com>;; >
      Message 2 of 28 , Dec 26, 2011

        Just heard about the bust made on highway 65 in Oct. Guess it is still going on just down the road.

        Bill Cagle

        Message 3 of 28 , Feb 15, 2012
          It must have been in business an awful long time in 1970 I was in Vietnam my
          grandfather JA Treece talked about the place when I was a child. So old cat
          must have been there for many years or had a son or relative that kept it
          open?

          John L Hamilton

          _____

          From: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com

          From: "cagle8185@... <mailto:cagle8185%40aol.com>

          Message 4 of 28 , Feb 16, 2012
            Cat was there in the 1970's and he was up in years. The last time I saw him was in late 70's.

            Bill Cagle

            From: "cagle8185@... <mailto:cagle8185%40aol.com>;